2017 festival

kaosmark2

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Or they could just anticipate that it's gonna do reasonably well considering how big the debut was - that's what they'd essentially be booked off the back of, after all. The new album will obviously have to be out but they don't need to wait and see how it lands. See when Biffy were given the push, for instance. Only Revolutions was a huge album and they knew that Opposites was gonna be popular as a result of that so they got them in to headline before that came out.

Puzzle had also been successful and they had several albums of material prior to that, rather than just 1 album.

3 minutes ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

and? they're from oz and are internationally successful, that's logistics not popularity 

Doesn't matter if they are internationally successful, they've not done enough to earn a headline slot at Reading yet, they're not big enough in the UK. With another album it's likely they will, but not yet.

Edited by Gozpot

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Doesn't matter if they are internationally successful, they've not done enough to earn a headline slot at Reading yet, they're not big enough in the UK. With another album it's likely they will, but not yet.

It does matter that they're internationally successful because it means your method of judging if someone's big enough or not is flawed. They're big enough in the UK. No doubt about it for me. 

1 minute ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

It does matter that they're internationally successful because it means your method of judging if someone's big enough or not is flawed. They're big enough in the UK. No doubt about it for me. 

They need to be successful enough in the UK, which they simply are not, they're very popular on this board which leads to people over estimating their general popularity.

41 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Puzzle had also been successful and they had several albums of material prior to that, rather than just 1 album.

Can you really look at the line up and think that they're prioritising depth at the moment? Their one album was a bigger hit than some headliners can even dream of and it's not unrealistic to expect their next album to be lapped up by the hundreds of thousands that went and bought the last one and guide them to the top slot.

45 minutes ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

Tbf dude they're internationally successful but not an international headliner. They absolutely will be next time out, and it'll be glorious, but if they were to have played this year or add another summer onto the Currents tour then they wouldn't be headlining.

After Kasabian the next most likely headliners for me are Royal Blood, alt-J and Major Lazer. I don't think they'd have any of these acts headline outright, so I expect two of them to be co-headlining (Major Lazer could also sub imo). For a final headliner I'm not sure. I'll probably go with The Strokes for now, with BMTH seemingly ruled out. I guess they could go with four co-headliners again and have all four that I've just mentioned do it. I think it's more likely, however, that the headliners would be Royal Blood/alt-J, Kasabian and The Strokes, with Major Lazer subbing one of the latter two.

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Tbf dude they're internationally successful but not an international headliner. They absolutely will be next time out, and it'll be glorious, but if they were to have played this year or add another summer onto the Currents tour then they wouldn't be headlining.

Internationally successful is what I'm putting forward as the reason you can't just say "they've only done X dates" because they have other shit to do. I'm positive they're big enough for a headline slot. Within clientele they're a bigger name than Biffy. 

9 hours ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

Internationally successful is what I'm putting forward as the reason you can't just say "they've only done X dates" because they have other shit to do. I'm positive they're big enough for a headline slot. Within clientele they're a bigger name than Biffy. 

I'm positive they are not big enough for a headline slot without another album. I wouldn't say they're as big as Biffy are for the crowd at R&L at all.

4 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

Royal Blood, Kasabian, Kanye. The more I think about it the more I believe they'll give Royal Blood the full headline rather than coheadliners.

I can't see them booking a band to full headline when they've only released one album and not even set a release date for the second as of yet.

8 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

I can't see them booking a band to full headline when they've only released one album and not even set a release date for the second as of yet.

Bands have headlined off of 2 or less albums in the past (Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, The Darkness etc). The band have posted on social media that they're in the studio, so their album will almost definitely be released some point next  year before the festival. There was so much hype from their first album that R&L will probably take the risk of booking them before their second album is released as they're still a very current, popular act right now. They will probably be short lived, but for a 'heavier', new up and coming act they'd be perfect for the festival, and would appeal well to the R&L demographic as well.

Edited by dylangraham

10 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

Royal Blood, Kasabian, Kanye. The more I think about it the more I believe they'll give Royal Blood the full headline rather than coheadliners.

I think they'll be big enough to but if they're doing other festivals they'll probably get knocked down to co- and their management will be clever enough to see the benefit in trying to play to as many people as possible while it's still early in their career. They could do everywhere else in 2017 and headline 2018 outright on an exclusive I bet, and I'd assume they'd still be touring, but we'll have to see on that one.

8 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

It's quite possible that festival bookers will have heard what there is of the new album already.

3 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

Bands have headlined off of 2 or less albums in the past (Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, The Darkness etc). The band have posted on social media that they're in the studio, so their album will almost definitely be released some point next  year before the festival. There was so much hype from their first album that R&L will probably take the risk of booking them before their second album is released as they're still a very current, popular act right now. They will probably be short lived, but for a 'heavier', new up and coming act they'd be perfect for the festival, and would appeal well to the R&L demographic as well.

Razorlight had two albums with the second having been out for over a year.
Franz Ferdinand had two albums with the second having been out for nearly a year.
The Darkness is a fair point but that was a farce in itself.

Personally i see Royal Blood hitting the festival scene big time in 2017 then coming back and headlining Reading outright in 2018, in 2018 Reading can afford to bump bands without worrying as much as there is no Glastonbury too which seems to work out nicely for them bumping up both Royal Blood and BMTH to headliners in the same year alongside someone massive like Muse or Foo Fighters.

I don't think Glastonbury not being on will result in many people automatically going to R&L instead regardless of the lineup. I think Dental's suggestion that they'd try to have a strong year to capitalise on the lack of Glastonbury is probably more accurate.

I think BMTH, Foos or Arctics and a Tame Impala/The 1975 co-headline at the moment. Maybe Kendrick in there instead of one of the latter two.

On 10/28/2016 at 10:42 PM, Foals/Disclosure said:

With regards to Tame Impala headlining, Melvin should just let it happen, whether this year or not. They're going to headline eventually anyway, however he should wait for the moment to let them headline.

was this intentional?

Headliners: Royal Blood, Kanye West, Kasabian
Subs: You Me At Six, Twenty One Pilots, ?????

I suggested The Strokes to sub Kasabian earlier on in this topic but a few people said that they wouldn't make the step down to subbing. Personally I think they could but would they play at all next year? So maybe Tame Impala or alt-J if they're around. Possibly even The Black Keys as they're long overdue a return to the festival.

Also expecting Main Stage appearences from Wolf Alice, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Twin Atlanic, Run The Jewels, Neck Deep and Blossoms.

Edited by VCK

14 minutes ago, VCK said:

Headliners: Royal Blood, Kanye West, Kasabian
Subs: You Me At Six, Twenty One Pilots, ?????

I suggested The Strokes to sub Kasabian earlier on in this topic but a few people said that they wouldn't make the step down to subbing. Personally I think they could but would they play at all next year? So maybe Tame Impala or alt-J if they're around. Possibly even The Black Keys as they're long overdue a return to the festival.

Also expecting Main Stage appearences from Wolf Alice, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Twin Atlanic, Run The Jewels, Neck Deep and Blossoms.

Catfish are up for Kasabian sub contender. I doubt MB will book Kanye...he crashed his festival before.

26 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Catfish are up for Kasabian sub contender. I doubt MB will book Kanye...he crashed his festival before.

Catfish subbing seems like it's maybe a bit of a push unless it was an exclusive.

I don't think MB would pass up one of the biggest artists in the world and a guaranteed ticket shifter.

7 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Catfish subbing seems like it's maybe a bit of a push unless it was an exclusive.

I don't think MB would pass up one of the biggest artists in the world and a guaranteed ticket shifter.

Well it probably will be English Exclusive but I don't know how it can when other acts that haven't reached their venue status yet are being suggested for co-headline or headline.

He's not guaranteed, not for Reading. He didn't sell out Wireless and that's completely him, don't over estimate how big he is.

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Well it probably will be English Exclusive but I don't know how it can when other acts that haven't reached their venue status yet are being suggested for co-headline or headline.

He's not guaranteed, not for Reading. He didn't sell out Wireless and that's completely him, don't over estimate how big he is.

Well if we take bands that have subbed properly (not under co-headliners) we have:

2016: Imagine Dragons
2015: Alt-J, BMTH and Kendrick Lamar
2014: Jake Bugg and Macklemore

The only one of them i would say hasn't reached the same status is Jake Bugg and it's well documented how ridiculous that booking was.

Subbing under co-headliners they could do without a doubt or exclusive.

Edited by Gozpot

10 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Well if we take bands that have subbed properly (not under co-headliners) we have:

2016: Imagine Dragons
2015: Alt-J, BMTH and Kendrick Lamar
2014: Jake Bugg and Macklemore

The only one of them i would say hasn't reached the same status is Jake Bugg and it's well documented how ridiculous that booking was.

Subbing under co-headliners they could do without a doubt or exclusive.

You know they sold Wembley Arena out instantly among others on their tour and Wembley is all BMTH had to get it?. They are also R&L demographic to a T.

Imagine Dragons tour in fairness was big enough that others with that tour....Paramore QOTSA and others in the past have headlined. I don't think Macklemore or Kendrick had toured as big as Catfish have now. I wouldn't be surprised by YM@6, TOP and Catfish as subs. I actually wonder if they might make ML a co-head but playing sub like FOB then YM@6 under as a 3rd but sub in their heads.

Macklemore had only played about 5 UK shows ever before R&L so it'd hard to judge them, especially as they were booked before they blew up.

Kendrick hasn't done a UK tour since he released To Pimp A Butterfly which really blew him up, so again, hard to judge.

I don't think YMAS will sub, their demand has been pretty poor since their come back, half their ''intimate'' tour didn't even sell out, they'd be NME headliners at best surely?

TOP i think will not be touring, they've already toured Blurryface for two summers, i think they'll return in 2018.

Catfish potentially could sub but i'd prefer if they didn't.

2 hours ago, Gozpot said:

Macklemore had only played about 5 UK shows ever before R&L so it'd hard to judge them, especially as they were booked before they blew up.

Kendrick hasn't done a UK tour since he released To Pimp A Butterfly which really blew him up, so again, hard to judge.

I don't think YMAS will sub, their demand has been pretty poor since their come back, half their ''intimate'' tour didn't even sell out, they'd be NME headliners at best surely?

TOP i think will not be touring, they've already toured Blurryface for two summers, i think they'll return in 2018.

Catfish potentially could sub but i'd prefer if they didn't.

YM@6 I think will be below co-headliners so getting a bit more time than a 3rd place band.

Catfish will probably get sub off of being exclusive.