2017 festival

kaosmark2

1 hour ago, Gozpot said:

Kanye has only ever been wishful thinking, i don't think that there's much hope of Reading booking him, although if they did it'd be fantastic.

The Strokes are in an awkward position, they've never outright headlined and have been away for quite a while and their general interest has certainly decreased, i don't think R&L would book them to headline without having seen how the next album goes first.

Paramore are very possible, although they've played in the top two slots on mainstage in 2010, 2012 and 2014 so maybe Reading would want to hold off to slow repeat bookings?

KoL i would think would be very much a back up booking for R&L and are seemingly doing BST due to no London date on their UK tour, which would definitely mean they aren't headlining.

Royal Blood i think it's too soon, Reading would want to see how the album goes before bumping a band with one album to a headliner, 2018 possibly but not 2017.

BMTH have almost said in black and white that they aren't playing R&L and won't be again until they are offered a full headline slot, which will undoubtably be on the back on a new album which would set them up for 2018.

looks like we aren't getting any headliners for this year then..

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Kasabian are pretty much definite, but the other two (or three?) could be anyone.

If I had to make a prediction I'd go with Kings Of Leon being one of them, but the third is so hard to call with that BMTH article coming out. Paramore just seems a little bit too soon, and for some reason I just can't see R+L booking the Strokes. Those, along with BMTH were my bets for number three.

I'd say that, if the first two were (hypothetically) Kasabian and KOL, the third could very well be The Stone Roses. Royal Blood are my other shout, but that's only if they're going for a co-headline, in which case who would they play with? I can only think Twenty One Pilots, who seem to be in that awkward position between co-headlining and doing it outright, Tame Impala, who I don't think are touring, and Alt-J, that I just can't see doing it. In which case, I don't think Royal Blood would be a solo headliner just yet. I don't think Chase And Status are big enough, although they could be in for a co I suppose. I wouldn't be surprised if they played.

Drake is a bit of a long-shot, but he's one of the most suitable headliners they could get.

Major Lazer? They're big enough, but they don't seem like an R+L type of headliner. Sub? Possibly, but I can't see R+L booking that type of band at the top.

I think the Kasabian, KOL and the Roses seems like a fairly realistic lineup, and I think they seem like the most likely acts at this point, unless there's something I'm missing.

Arctic Monkeys and BMTH for 2018.

Edited by thelemon

Kasabian, Kings of Leon and The Stone Roses would be fucking horrible and attract the worst kind of crowd to the festival. can't see that happening, especially as the rumour going round is that the Roses took a higher offer from IOW over playing Glastonbury

Kasabian, Alt-J/Royal Blood co-headline, Kanye is what i'm going for (although guess it could be argued that Kanye would also bring the wrong type of crowd, but that's up for debate). i know there's absolutely nothing pointing at it being Kanye, but you'd imagine he'll do at least one festival and Reading/Leeds definitely seems like the best fit with Wireless and Glastonbury checked off in recent years

So the You Me At Six tour...

02 Academy, Newcastle
Pavilions, Plymouth
King George's Hall, Blackburn
The Dome, Doncaster
02 Academy, Birmingham
Solent Hall, Bournemouth
SECC, Glasgow
Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff
Alexandra Palace. London

Edited by JSmurphy

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Kasabian, Kings of Leon and The Stone Roses would be fucking horrible and attract the worst kind of crowd to the festival. can't see that happening, especially as the rumour going round is that the Roses took a higher offer from IOW over playing Glastonbury

Kasabian, Alt-J/Royal Blood co-headline, Kanye is what i'm going for (although guess it could be argued that Kanye would also bring the wrong type of crowd, but that's up for debate). i know there's absolutely nothing pointing at it being Kanye, but you'd imagine he'll do at least one festival and Reading/Leeds definitely seems like the best fit with Wireless and Glastonbury checked off in recent years

I doubt they care about the "type of crowd" it's going to draw. Three huge bands - one has the legendary status (SR), one has the nostalgia value (KOL), and one has the current status (Kasabian), which seems to be their preferred set-up. Look at last year - RHCP were the legends, FOB/Biffy the nostalgia, and Foals/Disclosure were the current act. Same the year before - Metallica (legends), Libs (nostalgia), Mumford (current). And, like I said, the crowd isn't a concern I don't think considering they've been booking people like Oliver Heldens and Jack Ü lately. 

The three bands I mentioned are typical R+L type bands as well. Kanye is definitely a possibility, and he'd be a big draw for the demographic (although he's supposedly awful live), but there's nothing suggesting he will headline and I don't think there ever has been. He's just extremely popular on here and everyone is just hoping I think.

Again, Alt-J/Royal Blood is very possible, but I can see RB waiting, especially considering I doubt their record will even be out then, and Alt-J just don't seem likely to me. They'd be a pretty bizarre headline act, although I appreciate the festival are big fans of them.

All I've heard about alt-J's live shows is that they're dull. A few friends of mine chose to see them over Limp Bizkit and still regret it now. They'd still make a strong sub but I'd stay away if they headlined. And this is coming from someone who loves them on record.

If Royal Blood's second album does well I'd much prefer if R&L gave them 90 minutes and let them headline outright. I thought their set in 2015 was great fun. The crowd past first barrier was mental during the Iron Man / Out of the Black outro.

considering Alt-J subbed last time and will only be getting bigger with a new album i can't see them doing anything other than co-headlining if they return (i doubt they'd be given outright headliner). likewise for Royal Blood - two fairly new acts about to make that push to the big leagues but who probably aren't quite there to do it themselves. blah blah they should be given the chance etc, but now that Reading/Leeds is doing this co-headliner thing, why take a risk when they can just have them both? it's a win win

1 hour ago, thelemon said:

I doubt they care about the "type of crowd" it's going to draw. Three huge bands - one has the legendary status (SR), one has the nostalgia value (KOL), and one has the current status (Kasabian), which seems to be their preferred set-up. Look at last year - RHCP were the legends, FOB/Biffy the nostalgia, and Foals/Disclosure were the current act. Same the year before - Metallica (legends), Libs (nostalgia), Mumford (current). And, like I said, the crowd isn't a concern I don't think considering they've been booking people like Oliver Heldens and Jack Ü lately. 

The three bands I mentioned are typical R+L type bands as well. Kanye is definitely a possibility, and he'd be a big draw for the demographic (although he's supposedly awful live), but there's nothing suggesting he will headline and I don't think there ever has been. He's just extremely popular on here and everyone is just hoping I think.

Again, Alt-J/Royal Blood is very possible, but I can see RB waiting, especially considering I doubt their record will even be out then, and Alt-J just don't seem likely to me. They'd be a pretty bizarre headline act, although I appreciate the festival are big fans of them.

Do you really consider Biffy Clyro and Kings of Leon as nostalgia acts?

7 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Do you really consider Biffy Clyro and Kings of Leon as nostalgia acts?

Biffy not so much, In only counted them because they were in the same slot as FOB. Kings Of Leon definitely are - not as much as someone like The Strokes for example, but if you look at the age of your average R+L goer (at least with Leeds, perhaps it's different at Reading), they've grown up with Kings Of Leon. Something like Sex On Fire (I know they don't always play it, but still) is pretty much an anthem for that generation.

1 hour ago, Foals/Disclosure said:

With regards to Tame Impala headlining, Melvin should just let it happen, whether this year or not. They're going to headline eventually anyway, however he should wait for the moment to let them headline.

They are not big enough to headline. They've only played one UK arena show and that was part of a 3 date tour.

They likely will headline in the future but they are not there yet, they're subs and no more.

11 minutes ago, thelemon said:

I mean, Tame Impala are undoubtedly bigger than Alt-J or Royal Blood.

What Alt-J who have played more arena shows, charted better and also sold more copies of their latest albums in its first week?

Royal Blood I will give you but Alt-J are definitely bigger than Tame Impala.

i can't be the only one who thinks Royal Blood co-headlining is still a crazy idea, they're nowhere near deserving after just their debut album. Even if they pulled out a second album similar to the first i just don't feel like shouldn't be at the top of the bill

i'm all for pushing up new artists but I think the royal blood hype is way too much for what they are

3 minutes ago, zak14 said:

i can't be the only one who thinks Royal Blood co-headlining is still a crazy idea, they're nowhere near deserving after just their debut album. Even if they pulled out a second album similar to the first i just don't feel like shouldn't be at the top of the bill

i'm all for pushing up new artists but I think the royal blood hype is way too much for what they are

don't think anybody's denying that, but this is the same festival that pushed The Darkness, Franz Ferdinand and Razorlight to headliner status off of the assumption that their new albums would do well, and that was as outright headliners - not with the help of a co-headliner. Royal Blood can definitely do it with a new album out alongside somebody like Alt-J as long as the other two headliners (or christ, judging by this year, even just one) are big names. if FR made them a third on main act just from one album and a bunch of hype then co-headlining with a second album and a bunch of renewed hype seems pretty spot on to me

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

don't think anybody's denying that, but this is the same festival that pushed The Darkness, Franz Ferdinand and Razorlight to headliner status off of the assumption that their new albums would do well, and that was as outright headliners - not with the help of a co-headliner. Royal Blood can definitely do it with a new album out alongside somebody like Alt-J as long as the other two headliners (or christ, judging by this year, even just one) are big names. if FR made them a third on main act just from one album and a bunch of hype then co-headlining with a second album and a bunch of renewed hype seems pretty spot on to me

Have to agree, FR won't be booking Royal Blood for Reading until a new album is out in my opinion, see how it does before giving them the bump up.

Or they could just anticipate that it's gonna do reasonably well considering how big the debut was - that's what they'd essentially be booked off the back of, after all. The new album will obviously have to be out but they don't need to wait and see how it lands. See when Biffy were given the push, for instance. Only Revolutions was a huge album and they knew that Opposites was gonna be popular as a result of that so they got them in to headline before that came out.