2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kasabian seem to be despised on here, which I find bizarre considering how well received Good Charlotte's announcement was.

They're a much better booking than GNR, regardless of what you think of their songs they'll at least play them well, and they'll turn up on time as well.

Andrew WK headlining The Pit opposite Kasabian would be a nice treat. His set at Download 2015 was one massive party (no pun intended). So much fun. I was sober because I was on a day ticket and driving, but I can only imagine how insanely fun Andrew WK would be after a day of drinking. 

11 minutes ago, SomethingReal said:

If by any longshot Royal Blood release a second album beforehand I can definitely see them subbing or maybe even co-headlining? But considering that TBC, how likely is it that Kasabian will headline now?

TBC means they're definitely headlining - Neil wouldn't put them as that unless he was sure

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

TBC means they're definitely headlining - Neil wouldn't put them as that unless he was sure

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Not sure about anybody else's thoughts but I personally would love for Muse to headline again? Perhaps do the similar 10 year re-run but for black holes and revelations or something. What do all of you think the chances are for them to play?

1 minute ago, SomethingReal said:

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Not sure about anybody else's thoughts but I personally would love for Muse to headline again? Perhaps do the similar 10 year re-run but for black holes and revelations or something. What do all of you think the chances are for them to play?

pretty much zero chance of Muse i think. i can't see them doing another ten year show (especially as BH&R came out in 2006 so it'd be a year late) and they will've finished touring by the time R/L comes around you'd imagine

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

pretty much zero chance of Muse i think. i can't see them doing another ten year show (especially as BH&R came out in 2006 so it'd be a year late) and they will've finished touring by the time R/L comes around you'd imagine

Yeah I get you, my own stupidity forgetting we were talking about 2017 and not this year about BH&R. Since surely the Glasto announcement kind of kicks any chance of a radiohead slot, I was hoping for Muse. But either way, I'm happy so long as we actually get less shared headliners.

2 hours ago, thelemon said:

They're a much better booking than GNR, regardless of what you think of their songs they'll at least play them well, and they'll turn up on time as well.

a reunited Guns N Roses booking would be the strongest booking any UK rock festival could possibly make. All accounts of this tour have said that they've been performing well and i haven't heard about them turning up on stage late, maybe Slash has got Axl in check?

Kasabian is a solid booking on R&L part but nothing compared to if they managed to get GnR.

1 hour ago, SomethingReal said:

If by any longshot Royal Blood release a second album beforehand I can definitely see them subbing or maybe even co-headlining? But considering that TBC, how likely is it that Kasabian will headline now?

It's likely the album will be out before festivals as they've been in the studio since May? (i think, don't quote me on that).

The big question is would they play this year as subs or maybe co-headliners or alternatively come back in 2018 and depending on how well the album does either sub/co-headline or even headline. Personally i think R&L would go for the latter, especially as there will be no competition from Glasto so they can afford to bump a band to a full headline without it being as bad on sales.

2 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

It's likely the album will be out before festivals as they've been in the studio since May? (i think, don't quote me on that).

The big question is would they play this year as subs or maybe co-headliners or alternatively come back in 2018 and depending on how well the album does either sub/co-headline or even headline. Personally i think R&L would go for the latter, especially as there will be no competition from Glasto so they can afford to bump a band to a full headline without it being as bad on sales.

I see where you're coming from. In my own opinion, I really love Royal Blood but I'm not sure they're a band that I would consider being ready to headline? I think maybe in my ideal view maybe they could sub on their second album and then I could definitely imagine them headlining a few years after or even on their third? Yet in terms of sales I can definitely imagine them being bumped up as a "heavy" headliner to get some sales.

5 minutes ago, SomethingReal said:

I see where you're coming from. In my own opinion, I really love Royal Blood but I'm not sure they're a band that I would consider being ready to headline? I think maybe in my ideal view maybe they could sub on their second album and then I could definitely imagine them headlining a few years after or even on their third? Yet in terms of sales I can definitely imagine them being bumped up as a "heavy" headliner to get some sales.

Their first album got to #1 and had successful singles, they won multiple awards on that album too and ended up playing 3rd on main stage just with that album, If it has similar success i don't see why they couldn't headline? It'd be a stretch yes but they're the perfect type of band for R&L. I don't see them playing in any capacity in 2017, unless it's a secret show but 2018, provided the album does well then i fully expect them to either headline/co-headline, more likely the latter however.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Headlining the Pit might be ambitious but he could certainly feature. I think I'd rather him during the day tho to get you going over a headline spot.

Mainstage opener would be a bloody great slot, imo. He's bigger than that, but I think it would be a great way of setting the day off with a bang :) 

4 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Their first album got to #1 and had successful singles, they won multiple awards on that album too and ended up playing 3rd on main stage just with that album, If it has similar success i don't see why they couldn't headline? It'd be a stretch yes but they're the perfect type of band for R&L. I don't see them playing in any capacity in 2017, unless it's a secret show but 2018, provided the album does well then i fully expect them to either headline/co-headline, more likely the latter however.

I think I can definitely imagine a scenario of them maybe playing a secret set next year. If they did Co-headline, who could you imagine them co-headlining with? 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Mainstage opener would be a bloody great slot, imo. He's bigger than that, but I think it would be a great way of setting the day off with a bang :) 

Yeah I could dig that. Or just early in the day as he probably would be anyway.

Now you've mentioned main stage openers; I wonder if it's gonna be a recurring thing that they have a 'special guest' opening the main stage? Given it's been Frank Turner and Babymetal so far you could hardly narrow it down to a style of act but imaginably they'll have someone that'd be fairly high up open one of the days. Are Shikari still about every year?

3 minutes ago, SomethingReal said:

I think I can definitely imagine a scenario of them maybe playing a secret set next year. If they did Co-headline, who could you imagine them co-headlining with? 

Depends who is available really, if Alt-J don't play in 2017 they'd be very likely. I don't see BMTH being back in time for festivals in 2018.
Maybe Kendrick Lamar, The 1975 if they are back with an album out, The Strokes potentially.

Or maybe even someone really unexpected like Slipknot, System of a Down or Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds maybe?

1 minute ago, Foals/Disclosure said:

Royal Blood need to perform significantly better than they did in 2015 to justify a headline/co-headline slot. Obviously impossible to tell until the show though, so on paper it looks like a decent booking.

Royal Blood were sensational at Reading in 2015. It got strong reviews across the board.

2 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Depends who is available really, if Alt-J don't play in 2017 they'd be very likely. I don't see BMTH being back in time for festivals in 2018.
Maybe Kendrick Lamar, The 1975 if they are back with an album out, The Strokes potentially.

Or maybe even someone really unexpected like Slipknot, System of a Down or Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds maybe?

Technically, I reckon it would be quite good to have the 1975 co with Royal Blood, due to the massive contrast in style. I'd always imagined that the strokes would be able to headline on their own with a "new" EP out and stuff. Don't know if I could imagine two heavy acts co-headlining like slipknot with Royal blood though.

1 minute ago, SomethingReal said:

Technically, I reckon it would be quite good to have the 1975 co with Royal Blood, due to the massive contrast in style. I'd always imagined that the strokes would be able to headline on their own with a "new" EP out and stuff. Don't know if I could imagine two heavy acts co-headlining like slipknot with Royal blood though.

Royal Blood have enough of a mainstream appeal to get away with it, it's highly unlikely that it will be Slipknot as it makes much more sense for Reading to build bridges with younger, British acts (Such as The 1975 and Alt-J) than it does with older acts. The 1975, Alt-J and Kendrick are the safest bets in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Gozpot said:

Royal Blood have enough of a mainstream appeal to get away with it, it's highly unlikely that it will be Slipknot as it makes much more sense for Reading to build bridges with younger, British acts (Such as The 1975 and Alt-J) than it does with older acts. The 1975, Alt-J and Kendrick are the safest bets in my opinion.

Could be very wrong about this, but I personally think it would have been a good idea to maybe have had a band like Radiohead or Muse to headline on another day to kind of contrast with the the lad rock type style of kasabian have? Yet obviously Radiohead won't be playing and it's unlikely for Muse to do so. Yet I do think with Muse there could be a possibility of a few last summer festival sets in the Drones world tour, considering they've done download and glasto it might be a nice finish. 

Just now, SomethingReal said:

Could be very wrong about this, but I personally think it would have been a good idea to maybe have had a band like Radiohead or Muse to headline on another day to kind of contrast with the the lad rock type style of kasabian have? Yet obviously Radiohead won't be playing and it's unlikely for Muse to do so. Yet I do think with Muse there could be a possibility of a few last summer festival sets in the Drones world tour, considering they've done download and glasto it might be a nice finish. 

Radiohead are 0% chance, Being at Glastonbury and supposedly cancelling on Reading last year.
Muse aren't a lot more likely, they've already toured Drones for two summers, any more would just be overkill.

BMTH seem nailed on to either headline or co-headline (potentially with Alt-J as someone i know interviewed Melvin at the festival last year and he said Bring Me The Horizon, Alt-J and 2017 many times and often in the same sentence, so that might be something to go by), the other slot is up for grabs.