2017 festival

kaosmark2

2 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Radiohead are 0% chance, Being at Glastonbury and supposedly cancelling on Reading last year.
Muse aren't a lot more likely, they've already toured Drones for two summers, any more would just be overkill.

BMTH seem nailed on to either headline or co-headline (potentially with Alt-J as someone i know interviewed Melvin at the festival last year and he said Bring Me The Horizon, Alt-J and 2017 many times and often in the same sentence, so that might be something to go by), the other slot is up for grabs.

After watching BMTH play online in 2015 and even seeing that health and safety video at the beginning, I definitely think that they should be able to headline. I don't think I could place any money on a third headliner, but I think it would be good for Reading to grab G'n'R as that would definitely rake in some sales.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SomethingReal said:

After watching BMTH play online in 2015 and even seeing that health and safety video at the beginning, I definitely think that they should be able to headline. I don't think I could place any money on a third headliner, but I think it would be good for Reading to grab G'n'R as that would definitely rake in some sales.

GnR have had a July European tour leaked which would potentially rule them out of Reading, probably more likely they would do Download anyway as Andy Copping had even stated they were his #1 act he wanted to book.

the third slot is very open, i'm hoping for Kanye but expecting some form of Dance music.

1 minute ago, Gozpot said:

GnR have had a July European tour leaked which would potentially rule them out of Reading, probably more likely they would do Download anyway as Andy Copping had even stated they were his #1 act he wanted to book.

the third slot is very open, i'm hoping for Kanye but expecting some form of Dance music.

I don't know how many EDM type groups would be able to headline the festival if we presume they kind of go against the co-headline idea. Perhaps they could someone like Tame Impala playing? Maybe Kendrick even. Not sure what the deal was this year with loads of rappers not playing the festival like Fetty and A$AP at Leeds.

26 minutes ago, SomethingReal said:

I don't know how many EDM type groups would be able to headline the festival if we presume they kind of go against the co-headline idea. Perhaps they could someone like Tame Impala playing? Maybe Kendrick even. Not sure what the deal was this year with loads of rappers not playing the festival like Fetty and A$AP at Leeds.

Tame Impala aren't big enough to headline, co-headline would be a stretch and Kendrick wouldn't without new music as he only played in 2015 and the album had already been out for a while. Disclosure did this year, The Prodigy would be a great booking, wouldn't put it past them booking someone like David Guetta, Calvin Harris or maybe someone like Major Lazer, Daft Punk would be an amazing booking but it just won't happen.

21 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Tame Impala aren't big enough to headline, co-headline would be a stretch and Kendrick wouldn't without new music as he only played in 2015 and the album had already been out for a while. Disclosure did this year, The Prodigy would be a great booking, wouldn't put it past them booking someone like David Guetta, Calvin Harris or maybe someone like Major Lazer, Daft Punk would be an amazing booking but it just won't happen.

Tame Impala won't be there, Currents tour finished a couple of months ago. 

Just now, Yellow_Fellow said:

i agree glasto makes them a no go but why do people think this makes them less likely for reading

it makes them a lot more fucking likely surely 

They must have cancelled for a reason and it wasn't for touring conflicts and they had a big hole left in their touring schedule that weekend so there must have been a reason they decided they didn't want to play was my thinking.

54 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

They must have cancelled for a reason and it wasn't for touring conflicts and they had a big hole left in their touring schedule that weekend so there must have been a reason they decided they didn't want to play was my thinking.

but they agreed to play

reading didn't change in the few months it probably was between being signed and then pulling out

Just now, FloorFiller said:

The Strokes aren't gonna play unless they're at least a co-headliner. no way have they dropped to sub

Comedown Machine only reached number 10 in the UK charts. Plus in 2011 when they co-headlined R&L, they didn't even headline the stage they played at TITP that same year. At least Pulp subbed the Main Stage at T. They're definitely not the huge name they once were.

Headlining Reading in 2011 is more pertinent than where they played at T in 2011 when it comes to where they're gonna play at future Reading festivals.

Anyway, they're not gonna pay The Strokes' fee for a subheadliner. I would assume their standard fee is a headline fee for most festivals and they're mercenaries nowadays so they're not really gonna do things cheaper and get more paydays for more work.

I agree they should be taking a knock down festival line ups as they've been a purely cult concern for a decade or so now and acts with longer mainstream success have tumbled down line ups quicker, but it's not happening.

1 minute ago, VCK said:

Comedown Machine only reached number 10 in the UK charts. Plus in 2011 when they co-headlined R&L, they didn't even headline the stage they played at TITP that same year. At least Pulp subbed the Main Stage at T. They're definitely not the huge name they once were.

whilst i agree that they probably don't deserve to headline anymore, i just don't see them doing anything but that. they've somehow managed to stay at the top all this time - i don't see them slipping down lineups now. TITP just happened to have a VERY strong lineup that year

It's pretty similar to acts like The Cure or Blink-182 really. They're big names within their genre but without massive mainstream appeal since their heyday. They are, however, still headline acts at these sorts of festivals while the other ones skip them and it'll probably keep going that way until each of them split/retire.

Edited by dentalplan

Can't remember if I've put mine forward, but since two co-headliners went down soooooo well this year...

Reading Fri/Leeds Sat: The 1975/Bastille
Reading Sat/Leeds Sun: Kasabian
Reading Sun/Leeds Fri: BMTH/YMAS

Heard those last three rumoured a lot, particularly on the back of YMAS's secret slot this year. The debate is still big over whether they could hack it - they'd need 30k minimum on their new album in one week, which is a big ask.

Dislclosure sold 26,789 which is a bare minimum (and really shouldn't have been considered in the first place - all for having a dance act for Disclosure weren't big enough IMO).

On 21/10/2016 at 9:32 PM, Foals/Disclosure said:

Royal Blood need to perform significantly better than they did in 2015 to justify a headline/co-headline slot. Obviously impossible to tell until the show though, so on paper it looks like a decent booking.

Not sure about Reading, but Royal Blood nailed Leeds that year.

On 22/10/2016 at 9:31 AM, Gozpot said:

Never said they would be, just said they're not big enough to headline or co-headline.

If Alt-J, Bastille or YMAS can co-headline, Tame Impala are absolutely big enough, although I do see them as more of a sub.

Catfish and the Bottlemen. Almost nailed on to play. Question is... main stage like 3rd down or headlining NME. Would love to see an NME set from them, their 2015 set in the NME is by far the best set I've been to at reading. Was different gear. 

27 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Rise Against playing August festivals in Germany so they're probably playing.

Pretty decent if so. They were disappointing at Download 2015 but I would definitely give them another chance; they have too many bangers not to :P I could see them pulling double duty playing Main and then headlining The Pit later on. 

Deftones touring Europe throughout May. Does that make them any more likely to come back over for August festivals or do we think they will finish touring Gore by then? Deftones subbing BMTH would be a decent booking. 

BMTH / Deftones / ADTR / Rise Against / Neck Deep

With Rise Against doing double duty.

49 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Deftones touring Europe throughout May. Does that make them any more likely to come back over for August festivals or do we think they will finish touring Gore by then? Deftones subbing BMTH would be a decent booking. 

BMTH / Deftones / ADTR / Rise Against / Neck Deep

With Rise Against doing double duty.

If there was something else on decent for headlining options I'd be tempted as I was to catch RA again.