Anyone get the sense the end of Glastonbury is nigh?

O'Doyle Rules

Instead of the standard Glastonbury blues, this year I have such a foreboding that Glastonbury doesn't have long left.

Anyone else feel the same?

I know they say there are problems each year but this year feels so different! I SERIOUSLY don't know what I would do with my life - like losing a family member!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it. My experience this year was great. I thought the crowd was nice and chilled out, the weather was good and the facilities have never been better. It's possible we're approaching or at 'peak Glastonbury', but I can't imagine them pulling the plug anytime soon.

I know these things can change quickly (just look at 2007 and 2008), but on the face of it the festival is in rude health.

Sure, there's been talk of moving it elsewhere, but I don't see that as anything more than a tactic to keep neighbouring farmers (whose fields are crucial to the festival) onside.

Am I missing some other danger signals?

According to the couple of news items I've read it seems the environmental impact is a big concern, the peeing on the land in particular.  I wasn't there this year so can anyone who was give an indication of whether they thought there was more or less pee going into the land than previous years?  Will be interesting to see the environmental report on this year's festival when it comes out.

The whole suggestion of moving the festival does seem strange to me, I can understand the reasoning behind the idea, but think of all the logistics and infrastructure that has been built up over the years - the traffic systems that get put in place around the site, the permanent-ness of the Pyramid stage, the water storage they built a few years back, the drainage systems built, bridges rebuilt, the list goes on.  To move to a new location would mean all of these things would either have to go to waste or would need recreating and suffer the inevitable teething problems.

I think 'peak glastonbury' is a good term.  I think we hit peak glastonbury with the return after the 2006 fallow year and the changes that came with it (The Park, etc)

I doubt the festival is going to come to an end any time soon.  Whether it is able to continue to innovate and invite is another matter.  It has been some years since there was any major change, unless you count renaming or moving a couple of areas.  Returning in 2009 for me the place was amazing, so much new stuff, so much improvement but at it's core recognisable.  I think in the years since then it has been effectively polishing up the existing areas and infrastructure rather than breaking new ground.

According to the couple of news items I've read it seems the environmental impact is a big concern, the peeing on the land in particular.  I wasn't there this year so can anyone who was give an indication of whether they thought there was more or less pee going into the land than previous years?  Will be interesting to see the environmental report on this year's festival when it comes out.

I got some texts whilst I was at Glasto this year, from or re-tweeted by Glasto_Biz implying that there was some very serious concerns on the site this weekend at the way the Oxygen / urine in the water readings were coming out.

I think we should offer yellow permanent dye water pistols to peeps who would then mark offenders when they see them. I saw far too many over the weekend

Glastonbury is a  huge money maker...it will continue for many years under Emily & her husband.

just look at t in the park in Scotland, despite nesting protected birds, allowances are made, ways around to make it happen are dreamed up.... the council / local government isn't going to turn away an established money spinner like it.

probably not but feels like the begining of the end of the festival we know and love. not gonna lie, this year felt different, a bit flat and not very glasto.

Yes I felt this too.  Was my first time back since 04 and has changed so much in a decade.  I'm all for change and reinvention and moving with the times but do feel that whilst Glasto is not 'doomed' something has to give over the next few years - maybe a move of venue slightly will help.

I think in the years since then it has been effectively polishing up the existing areas and infrastructure rather than breaking new ground.

And I think that's fine - it doesn't need to be radically different each year. In fact the familiarity of the consistent areas is part of the lovely 'coming home' feel of going to the festival each year.

I think they do it very well, a few little new things here and there, new head-decorations for Pyramid & West Holts stages, a brilliant new Other stage this time, and of course a different line-up each year.

I went to Michael's talk on the Sunday (I had similar concerns after those news reports about the festival moving) and he said that the story and footage Sky News ran with was 2 years old and his uncertainties stemmed from a neighbouring landowner dying. The situation was resolved quickly and the festival is remaining where it is for the foreseeable, thankfully. He seemed baffled at Sky's decision to hold the story until now. He generally seemed as positive as ever about the festival as a whole but did state he thought this year's line up was not the best one.

As for the environmental impact, I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that Emily had gone to a meeting on the Saturday evening regarding urination and pollution of the land and I recall getting a reminder from the Glastonbury app. From a personal point of view I didn't see as many arseholes doing it as usual this year. I did spend more time away from the busy areas, however, which may have something to do with it. 

I fully believe that there's no desire from Michael/Emily/Nick to move the Festival, to downsize it, or to stop entirely.

But I do think that there's more external factors than people realise, that year on year are combining to make it more difficult for the festival to continue in its current form. I don't expect either of the nuclear options to happen (move or close), but I'd be very surprised if there aren't some significant changes by the time of the 2020 Festival - be it a smaller site with a corresponding capacity decrease, or eliminating near-site car parks, or something more creative that I've not thought of.

So I'll say this: If you pissed in the hedges, snuck in without a ticket, or gave money to any unofficial off-site campsite (especially love fields), then fuck you. You're helping to dismantle the Festival.

probably not but feels like the begining of the end of the festival we know and love. not gonna lie, this year felt different, a bit flat and not very glasto.

You must have been at a different festival! We spent a lot of time walking through the circus, greenfields and craft fields this year and it's never felt so much like what glastonbury is all about.

If you feel it was flat you must have been around the main stages quite a lot?

I fully believe that there's no desire from Michael/Emily/Nick to move the Festival, to downsize it, or to stop entirely.

But I do think that there's more external factors than people realise, that year on year are combining to make it more difficult for the festival to continue in its current form. I don't expect either of the nuclear options to happen (move or close), but I'd be very surprised if there aren't some significant changes by the time of the 2020 Festival - be it a smaller site with a corresponding capacity decrease, or eliminating near-site car parks, or something more creative that I've not thought of.

So I'll say this: If you pissed in the hedges, snuck in without a ticket, or gave money to any unofficial off-site campsite (especially love fields), then fuck you. You're helping to dismantle the Festival.

Whats the deal with this Love fields then did see it as was camped in CV fields ,what are they all about?