Sound Levels...

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The blues was the worst had to be within 30 foot of the stage or all you could hear was the crowd around you chatting.

I actually thought the sound from arcadia was awesome, maybe not the loudest but that's to be expected.

Blues during the day had (yet again) easily the best soundsystem with the warmest bass, past midnight it and everywhere else was noticeably quieter but was able to cope by squishing closer to a stack.

Arcadia was appalling but Ive come to expect that after seeing it 6 times now, couldnt find anywhere to stand where I could only hear music from one source. Kept getting clashes from the other speakers. Was stood right in front of an outside speaker stack for Altern8 and could hear other peoples conversations :(

Pretty happy with most of the sound though.

Completely agree. Watched Jus Now followed by Bunji Garlin at the Gully and Jus Now's sound was perfect but then they dropped it (curfew) for Bunji and the music lost all its energy. I think they seriously need to think about whether it's worth having acts that late if they can't turn the music up as it doesn't do the acts justice.

Last year the Blues crowd was seriously annoyed and started jeering "turn it up" during one set that was being taped for the Bbc.

Noise enforcement was stricter this year. But with some flexibility, so if an area was very busy, it could be run louder.

Grandmaster Flash started very quiet but had a big crowd. So quiet that when a woman shouted "turn the f.ing music up" everyone heard her and they promptly turned the music up.

Noise enforcement was stricter this year. But with some flexibility, so if an area was very busy, it could be run louder.

That makes sense - camping in Rivermead we could hear noise (especially bass) on the Thursday from Silver Hayes, and even more on the Saturday, but none any other nights. Saturday was Fatboy Slim so that makes sense. Though apparently some people couldn't hear it when they were right there - it certainly easy to see how it could carry outside the fence though!

Blues was terrible , circo loco showcase was a disaster on that system. Arcadia has been known for years its not a great system but i think they have alot of technical issues to deal with. Was blown away by volume at Pyramid considering the size of field/crowd. Best soundsystems of any uk festival ive been to for me all things considered

Remember going into the London Underground on Weds and they had signs up saying they couldn't turn the volume up on Weds or Thurs. It was like a silent disco in there. loads of people, all the smoke & lasers but absurdly quiet music.

The Cave on Thursday night was similar although had a great night there nonetheless

Edited by tom22

My one gripe about an absolutely amazing weekend would be the sounds levels in various areas.

The sound at Genosys for Cerrone on Thursday evening was rubbish and it was even worse at The Blues later that night, although maybe that's because we were standing quite far to the side.

I wasn't back at either venue so I don't know if it improved.

The sound at Arcadia is plagued by echoes so it's also got issues.

I'm sure there were other cases, in fact all the stages could be a bit better, but the smaller ones are those that stick in my mind

Arcadia was crap. I left Adam Beyer because of it. Obviously better for 2manydjs so I stayed.

Turned down when Altern8 came on though

Only went to Arcadia once for the whole festival on the Sunday night starting with Groove Armada and left lust after Altern 8 came on. The sound for Groove Armada and 2manydjs was the best I heard all festival. We were inside the outer ring of speakers near to one of the stacks.

I do think a lot of the time it really is a case of turn it the fuck up. Oh council red tape and noise restrictions? Yeah well sometimes it's so low it's not worth bothering with. Either turn it up or turn it off.