Funny things overheard at the festival

MichaelsBeard

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see you there.

I love it, it's a bit like Glastonbury in the middle of a city (tho without music around every corner).

What is it like? I'm in Bristol tomorrow so was considering checking it out, there much to see do? Bars/music scene? The website isnt overly helpful!

I think they deliberately don't put the programme up online so that you have to buy a programme when you get there. 

It's usually busy but there should be some good music around. 

Places to check out are Queens square, the Grain Barge stage, the Thekla and the Louisiana 

I think they deliberately don't put the programme up online so that you have to buy a programme when you get there. 

It's usually busy but there should be some good music around. 

Places to check out are Queens square, the Grain Barge stage, the Thekla and the Louisiana 

Worth a look then?!

Oh yeah there will be some good stuff around. If you're in the centre you won't be able to avoid it anyway!

Personally I'd head down the Grain Barge and park myself there. It's a little away from the main crowds, has decent beer and the guy who runs the stage knows the music scene well. 

Two Northern fellas running around asking everyone if they're a "top shagger" and when they hesitated in replying they preceded to shout "No? Well that's becausae you're a bottom shaggerrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!"

Reminds me of an old 70's joke;

A.  Are you a bummer tied to a tree?

B . No, I'm not.

A.   Aaaagh, bummer on the loose, bummer on the loose.

He did say it was a 70s joke.

Exactly. You beat me to stating this.

However, on top of that a lot of my friends are gay men who often come out with puerile gay jokes like the one I posted*. Which begs the question - do you have to be gay to be able to tell a joke about gays? To me it's all about whether there is 'intent' to offend or not.

* I'm going to a party in London tomorrow held by one of my gay mates. It's the 20th anniversary of him holding a summer party, which has a fancy dress theme. A couple of years ago the party had a theme (can't recall what it was) which saw my mate lash pretend sticks of dynamite to himself as he was going as the Unibummer ( a joke on Ted Kaczynski who was the Unabomber in America). Should Ted or any other terrorist in the world be offended by this?

However, on top of that a lot of my friends are gay men who often come out with puerile gay jokes like the one I posted*. Which begs the question - do you have to be gay to be able to tell a joke about gays? To me it's all about whether there is 'intent' to offend or not.

* I'm going to a party in London tomorrow held by one of my gay mates. It's the 20th anniversary of him holding a summer party, which has a fancy dress theme. A couple of years ago the party had a theme (can't recall what it was) which saw my mate lash pretend sticks of dynamite to himself as he was going as the Unibummer ( a joke on Ted Kaczynski who was the Unabomber in America). Should Ted or any other terrorist in the world be offended by this?

That's brilliant :lol:

Yeah I didn't mean to sound too chastise-y but it seemed close to the line where you gotta think about how it sounds

I think it goes beyond intent, it's more whether it's likely to cause offense.  You can bandy around the most offensive words in the world ignorantly not intending to offend people, but just because you weren't thinking about it doesn't mean it's ok.  If you're sure nobody is going to be upset and you're amongst friends, then sure.  But you do need to have built up a large degree of trust.

I'm not really bothered about offending terrorists, especially if it's their terrorism that they're having the piss taken out of them for.

That's brilliant :lol:

Yeah I didn't mean to sound too chastise-y but it seemed close to the line where you gotta think about how it sounds

No worries. I did think about it before posting - I came to the conclusion that we are all adults on here and that it would be factored in that it was a 70's joke with people on here knowing that times weren't so liberal then in terms of gay and lesbian rights. Then again, thinking about it further, I guess many on here wouldn't have even been born in the 70's so may not know that.

I think it goes beyond intent, it's more whether it's likely to cause offense.  You can bandy around the most offensive words in the world ignorantly not intending to offend people, but just because you weren't thinking about it doesn't mean it's ok.  If you're sure nobody is going to be upset and you're amongst friends, then sure.  But you do need to have built up a large degree of trust.

I'm not really bothered about offending terrorists, especially if it's their terrorism that they're having the piss taken out of them for.

I get your point. Maybe my posting the 'joke' on a public forum wasn't the smartest thing to have done. As for terrorists then I'm with you all the way in that they should be derided at every available opportunity.