Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

Arsenal for me are a centre back and centre midfielder away from the title.

Disagree. I think we are a left back and a defensive mid away from the title.

William Carvalho would have been the ideal DM buy for me - he has bags of ability in that role - but he is now out for 3 months. I'd still want him though.

And Left back - there's talk of an offer being made for Napoli's Ghoulam, who I have very limited knowledge of, but at least it shows Wenger sees the position as one that needs improvement.

Centre back is quite a way down my list. Merts, Kosc, Paulista & Chambers all there - maybe get another as back up but nothing more.  

Edited by mjsell

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont agree with this. There is always room for leaders IMO. Many a talent can be lazy/unmotivated/be having a poor game and a kick up the arse or a few well chosen words by a good leader on the pitch can make the difference between the talent being on display or not IMO

Which is actually a reason why Coquelin did so well at the end of last season, he was actually very good at keeping the players around him organised. I don't see him as a permanent option however.

Disagree. I think we are a left back and a defensive mid away from the title.

William Carvalho would have been the ideal DM buy for me - he has bags of ability in that role - but he is now out for 3 months. I'd still want him though.

And Left back - there's talk of an offer being made for Napoli's Ghoulam, who I have very limited knowledge of, but at least it shows Wenger sees the position as one that needs improvement.

Centre back is quite a way down my list. Merts, Kosc, Paulista & Chambers all there - maybe get another as back up but nothing more.

Left back? Assuming you mean to replace Gibbs as back up?

Left back? Assuming you mean to replace Gibbs as back up?

Ideally to come into the first 11, Monreal as back up, and then get Gibbs as far away from the team as humanly possible - he is Arsenal's biggest liability. Constantly out of position and has no awareness regarding dangerous situations. I wonder if City would be willing to take another full back off our hands?

Monreal had a good season last year but I don't think he can be relied on to keep at that level. He's a good backup.

Fair enough. Monreal was Arsenal's best performing defender last year, for me, and improved a hell of a lot from previous seasons, so I don't think it's much of a concern, especially when there are other priorities.

Gibbs has turned into one massive brainfart, though. He should be replaced if possible.

Gibbs couldn't fart without getting injured.

I think Arsenal will be challenging for the title this coming season, purely on the back of the Cech deal. Personally though I would like to see another striker added, they should be throwing money at Lyon for Lacqzette imo.

Gibbs couldn't fart without getting injured.

I think Arsenal will be challenging for the title this coming season, purely on the back of the Cech deal. Personally though I would like to see another striker added, they should be throwing money at Lyon for Lacqzette imo.

The problem I see with getting another striker - not that I would turn one down - is that we have a nice amount of attacking options but not too many that means you have to start leaving players out for extended periods of time. If we were to get in another centre forward Giroud would get the rotation job and Welbeck would struggle to get in the team (the exact reason why he left United to come to us). Its a fine line between improving the quality of the team and damaging team morale/ togetherness. Plus its not as if we have struggled to score goals.

Edited by mjsell

of course I'm not saying that Liverpool isn't a bigger draw than Genk, I'm recognising that Chelsea are a bigger draw than Liverpool.

A club in Liverpool's position in the league is likely to have competition from the clubs around them, and if a top 4 club comes in they'll almost always lose out.

By the nature of Chelsea being at the top, they have no competition. As a result, they'll get their first choices, while Liverpool might end up with a Mario.

And it's not like Liverpool can't not buy a Mario if they need a player and he's all that's available, and so they end up having to take a bigger chance on a less fancied player, with the result that fewer of them are likely to be a success in the role they've been bought for, and so the club is more likely to lose money if they're sold on.

All of that is a natural consequence as a result of where the teams are, and that natural consequence gives the teams nearest the top an advantage with making successful transfers.

Not bitching, just saying: success favours success.

Fair enough on most of that. I'm not denying it's a bit easier for Chelsea to snap up youngsters but we're certainly not guaranteed them just because we're champions. There are many players who want to play for one of the 'classic' clubs and may chose Utd or 'pool over us. Though maybe the draw of London equals it out. It's also possible for the likes of Liverpool to snap up these players long before the CL clubs come calling. 

I'm not convinced that Chelsea have that great depth. They pretty much played the same 15 players last season. They were relatively lucky with injuries to players. However that luck may not continue.

I agree. We got lucky with injuries for the most part. Very little depth in the midfield, though that was partly due to sending out players on loan. Arsenal have a better squad these days but are lacking the big characters to lead them to a title. Cech will make a difference but goalkeeper wasn't that much of a problem for them last year so the difference won't be huge. 

Quite right Everton feeling guilty selling United fellaini, there turn buying our shit players.

Its been like a slow motion car crash since West Ham got Ogonna and Dann signed a new contract.. Someone needs to wrestle the cheque book off Roberto.

Possibly. Although I'm hearing Cavani.

Good signing for Liverpool I reckon. I think he can make the (small  :P ) step up.

I read a piece last night that gave me a bit more hope that he might be successful at Liverpool despite me thinking his style doesn't fit.

I hadn't realised his goals per game was so very good at Villa - very nearly one in two.

Article I read earlier said that as soon as Benteke is done Lambert is off to the baggies.