Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

Can only speak for myself but I'm pretty devastated at Sterling going. City have a remarkable talent on their hands. Hopefully they get the best from him. Worked his butt off for LFC and deserves a great career long term. His agent is a wally, natch.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like Di Maris had for Utd last season you mean?

Much like how Ozil is(n't) lauded for his games?

That sort of level of performance?

Sterling can keep up with the competition when that's the competition.

If he doesnt come off at Man City bthey are in the position where they can just spend 49 million on someone else. I think Sterling is a different category to those 2 names. Both had a greater track record and were bought for the present, where as Sterling is as much for the future. I think Ozil has been fine for Arsenal and getting better. People sometimes expect midfielders to be like Gerrard/lampard and scoring 10 plus goals every season. ozil is never going to do that. Di Maria may end up like Veron eg a very good player who doesnt work in the premiership.

The fact that Sterling as been brought as a prospect should give him a bit more time from the media attack dogs, I suspect it probably wont.

Can only speak for myself but I'm pretty devastated at Sterling going. City have a remarkable talent on their hands. Hopefully they get the best from him. Worked his butt off for LFC and deserves a great career long term. His agent is a wally, natch.

Can't say I'm devastated because of the whole manner he went about it. he could be special though and it won't be nice seeing him in another shirt.

Do slightly disagree with the effort side of it though. He gave it his all whilst he was happy but I got the impression he somewhat downed tools after the contract stand-off began.

We probably won't upgrade on him long-term but we should be able to use £40m to upgrade on his impact this season which is important as everybody seems to be improving around us.

like Di Maris had for Utd last season you mean?

Much like how Ozil is(n't) lauded for his games?

That sort of level of performance?

Sterling can keep up with the competition when that's the competition.

But that's the point, both those players you mentioned had the same expectations placed on them due to their price tag that Sterling will now have. If you are spending that sort of money and the performances don't quite cut it (which for the record I don't believe Ozil is in this category, but that's another argument) then there is a valid reason to be annoyed.

Edited by mjsell

The fact that Sterling as been brought as a prospect should give him a bit more time from the media attack dogs, I suspect it probably wont.

The manner of the exit will ensure he will not get any sort of time. He will have to perform from the word go.

But that's the point, both those players you mentioned had the same expectations placed on them due to their price tag that Sterling will now have. If you are spending that sort of money and the performances don't quite cut it (which for the record I don't believe Ozil is in this category, but that's another argument) then there is a valid reason to be annoyed.

It's not quite the same.

As someone mentioned above, Ozil and Di Maria are supposedly the finished product. No one is thinking that Sterling is.

Buying Sterling isn't about getting immediate value from him, but hoping that he'll give that value and much more in the future.

Edited by eFestivals

It's not quite the same.

As someone mentioned above, Ozil and Di Maria are supposedly the finished product. No one is thinking that Sterling is.

Buying Sterling isn't about getting immediate value from him, but hoping that he'll give that value and much more in the future.

And be a homegrown addition. Its a good buy from City. Bags of potential. And 49m is fook all to them.

Liverpool losing Suarez, Gerrard and Sterling in almost exactly a year. Ouch. Huge job on for Rodgers now. Huge. Particularly with the start they have. Away to Stoke, Arsenal, Utd, Everton, Spurs and Chelsea in their first 11 games.

Not as blown away by the Utd signings as other fans seem to be. Schweinsteiger is arguably past his prime and Im not at all convinced that Schneiderlin can step up. 

Depay and Darmain are apparently both the biz though. Not that I've much of either but I'll never have an issue with a punt on an Italian international defender. 

Edited by The Nal

And be a homegrown addition. Its a good buy from City. Bags of potential. And 49m is fook all to them.

Liverpool losing Suarez, Gerrard and Sterling in almost exactly a year. Ouch. Huge job on for Rodgers now. Huge. Particularly with the start they have. Away to Stoke, Arsenal, Utd, Everton, Spurs and Chelsea in their first 11 games.

It's no bigger a job now than it's been at the start of any season. He's got a bunch of new players he has to try to fit in the team.

As for how important Gerrard has been in the last year or two we've yet to see. I suspect that particular change is one that few people really notice from the performances.

I'm far from convinced about Rodgers, in part because he's abandoned all he started out with doing, but at the same time he has managed to find a way of getting a very decent team on the pitch (even if it took him a while last season), and I suspect he might do the same again.

If he's classed a failure I doubt it will be because he can't get a bunch of players to gel into a very good unit, but because it will have taken him too long to get to that point &/or the amount of players he feels he needs available to achieve that.

Rodgers has no Sturridge for those games I listed above either. And they've the Europa group stage starting in mid September too.

Its clear from the last two seasons that a proven goal scorer, either on the pitch or not, radically changes the success of Liverpools season under Rodgers, more than most teams.

Edited by The Nal

Rodgers has no Sturridge for those games I listed above either. And they've the Europa group stage starting in mid September too.

Its clear from the last two seasons that a proven goal scorer, either on the pitch or not, radically changes the success of Liverpools season. 

Nah.

If Rodgers had got the team playing together well from the start of the season as they did from the Man Utd game to the Man Utd game (when it was clear it was all over), we'd be having a different discussion. They'd have ridden out the loss of Sturridge and everyone else being shite just about OK.

Of course, if they'd have had a decent goalscorer it would have been better, but they were in the position to live without one as that 'hot' spell for the team got to show.

But anyway, they're over-flowing with them at the moment. As far as strikers go i'd be more worried for your own team - because although RvP had gone off the boil with his overall game it was a spell with a stunning score-ratio by him when you were otherwise playing shite that kept you in the race.

But anyway, they're over-flowing with them at the moment. As far as strikers go i'd be more worried for your own team - because although RvP had gone off the boil with his overall game it was a spell with a stunning score-ratio by him when you were otherwise playing shite that kept you in the race.

Yep, so many of his goals were very very important. 1 nils. 2-1s etc.

Must be in for an out and out striker before kick off I reckon.

I'm still praying that Arsenal put up the money and sign William Carvalho, it was either him or Schneiderlin at the start of the summer, and like others have said I'm still not convinced on Schneiderlin, he might be a great signing for United or he may be another player that has been made to look better by a strong Southampton setup.

I think if Arsenal could snag Carvalho and another left back (ship out Gibbs to City as they seem to like our full backs and they need English players), I think I will be going into a season with the most amount of hope for years.

Yep, so many of his goals were very very important. 1 nils. 2-1s etc.

they were even more important than the scorelines make them look, because often the shot that scored was about the only shot of the game.

Must be in for an out and out striker before kick off I reckon.

There's been the suggestion from LvG that he won't be doing that. :O

You can probably get away with it if you manage to keep DdG, but if he goes you could be in big trouble without a decent striker.

Can't say I'm devastated because of the whole manner he went about it. he could be special though and it won't be nice seeing him in another shirt.

Do slightly disagree with the effort side of it though. He gave it his all whilst he was happy but I got the impression he somewhat downed tools after the contract stand-off began.

We probably won't upgrade on him long-term but we should be able to use £40m to upgrade on his impact this season which is important as everybody seems to be improving around us.

If he were foreign there'd be songs about the kid. We fucked it up Strummsie mate. He's a diamond.

Give him the money he deserves?

200k a week but? Eh, no...

Talent? Yes

Potential? Yes

The highest paid player in the clubs history?

On yer bike pal......and good luck to ya

Sure it wouldn't of made a difference. It wasn't about money. It's all about medals..... :lol:

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Selling 20 year olds is shit lads, let's face it.

no more shit than it was for QPR to sell a 16 year old, or Man Utd to sell a 24(?) year old.

How old was Keegan when LFC bought him from Sc**thorpe?

How old was Dalglish when he was bought from Celtic?

Ho old was Barnes when he was bought from Watford?

Etc, etc, etc.

It's just how it goes.