Why is parking so expensive?

Mouseboy11

20k cars all paying £25 is half a million quid. A lot of that will go to pay the landowners and supply the necessary infrastructure, but it'll still leave them in considerable profit. I wouldn't begrudge them that however. It must be nice when a concern about the environment also manages to put money in your pocket.

As a train user, the number of people on my usual train in 2014 had dropped to about 25% of the 2011 figure.

Clearly the green traveller intitiative is not working too well as any extra car park charge is more than outweighed by being allowed in the car parks the day before.

The parking prices, being able to park on Tuesday, the coach packages and green traveler initiative are all part of the same concern. As Neil says it's to reduce the carbon footprint and satisfy MDC's worries about the impact on local roads, which is written in to the festival's licence. As you say, the success of some of these efforts are moot. It's more about being seen to being doing something.

Anyone really know? I assume it's to try and discourage people taking cars to the festival. It's supposedly £35 on the gate this year! Looking around that's compared to £10 at Reading and £20 at Download!

Edit: If I order now are they likely to turn up? I've heard many people complain on here they haven't and my brother is yet to receive his that he ordered with his tickets.

You'd be better off getting on the gate. As it's 25 + 7.50 see tickets fee. If you order separately.

Although. We may have a spare one I can sell at face value... DM me x

If you'd paid £215 to enter Oxford city limits and were then charged £5 a day to park...

It's no different to being a tourist in Oxford paying £215 a night to stay at the Randolph it the Old Bank, and being expected to pay £25 A DAY to park...

As I said, Glasto is a bloody bargain.

Anyone really know? I assume it's to try and discourage people taking cars to the festival. It's supposedly £35 on the gate this year! Looking around that's compared to £10 at Reading and £20 at Download!

Edit: If I order now are they likely to turn up? I've heard many people complain on here they haven't and my brother is yet to receive his that he ordered with his tickets.

Download is £25 if you arrive a pay, absolutely shocking! At least at Glasto you actually do have some stuff on in the day Wed and more on Thursday. What I struggle to get is that Download don't see the issue with charging the same, £20 if bought in advance if you only do a day!, they don't book decent enough weekend lineups!, whereas similarities to it, V, R&L only charge £10. I didn't actually know Reading had gone doubled, so it's not a tenner there for either a day or weekend, that's not too great either, I think Leeds is just still free though. While we are on about fee's, I'll admit, T&L are taking the piss putting the arrive Wed instead of Thursday up too, £20 for that is bonkers! Edited by thewayiam

Recently saw Macca in Birmingham and an NCP car park would've been £24 for 6 hours! We reversed and found a much closer one called Paradise Circus (it was neither of those things!) - £2.50 or £3 after 6pm until closing time. £25 is cheap compared to NCP but if a car full of people have paid about a grand already, you'd think £15-20 would be more than adequate whether purchased on the day or in advance.

I have spent something like £50 on a coach ticket, so I don't think £25/£35 is unreasonable for a parking ticket. Once you factor in petrol, depending on where you live, you're probably going to be spending more than I am on travel and that's presumably what the festival would like - people to be discouraged from driving.

Perhaps it'll encourage more people to car share - between 3 or 4 people it's really cheap.

A lot of the car parking fields are rented for the weekend from the farms neighbours, can't see that being cheap tbh.

And if the weather is bad during the festival, those fields get seriously damaged. There's 3 of us going in my motor this year £25 between us to park for 5 days is a small price to pay.

I go by coach because it's greener and miles more convenient for me, it's actually more expensive to get the coach, and I have use of a car. Other members of the group in thatLondon have found renting a car for the weekend + parking to be a massive saving over going by coach.

The best thing they've done to encourage people to give up the car is introducing the coach ticket sales and having them before the general sale.

If they wanted to make everyone go by coach or train they should open festival on Tuesday afternoon for people who aren't going via car. Would be a logistical nightmare but would work I'm sure!

20k cars all paying £25 is half a million quid. A lot of that will go to pay the landowners and supply the necessary infrastructure, but it'll still leave them in considerable profit. I wouldn't begrudge them that however. It must be nice when a concern about the environment also manages to put money in your pocket.

It's not really profit, it's part of the festival budget and goes to pay for the festival in general...

Out of interest, what would be the maximum everyone would pay to park? If the festival one day decided they really wanted to stop people driving they could jack the price up to say, £100. I guess the difficulty is they have to get the balance right otherwise they would get so much bad publicity if it's too high. Can you imagine the Daily Mail reaction? Regardless of it being purely for green purposes it would get reported as mass profiteering.