How have the sort of people who attend the festival changed & when?

gooner1990

In the years ive gone its almost like the festival has been split into 2, the main stages north of the track becoming more and more cramped with idiots, then the rest of the festival a bit sparse. Obviously a massive generalisation, but you can see which way its going.

It would be interesting if everyone's wristband tracked their movement to see the flow around the site. (not that im sayining I want that to happen)

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below was written (by someone much more eloquent than I ) about an island but I think it perfectly fits for Glastonbury..

"Things change and that’s how it should be but I wonder what will happen when only hipsters remain, when everything that used to be reality has become nothing more than a slogan to attract tourists and more tourists are just seeking and paying for something ‘exclusive’. Things change, Nostalgia though is an atavistic feeling of the most human kind. It is the feeling of desire to return. The etymology of nostalgia is greek and literally means pain of returning. But nothing returns and that’s what hurts. People love things just as they are. We are prone towards paralysis wanting everything to stay the same. We anchor ourselves to situations and things and we remain tied yearning for idealised better days. But things do change, its inevitable and if they stay the same its just an illusion, our self-deception. Blindness born of despair…..What would have been revolutionary and original at the time has almost become just a slogan for tourists looking for folkloric appeal, when it used to be something natural"..

Dude I didn't even know how to see my ranking until the other week......never change your opinions to be popular.....and thats why I'm sitting on -73 lol......thanks but I care not for anonymous forum ratings systems ;p

What is this rating up vote down vote malarkey?!

I think that Telegraph content speaks volumes though. Can you imagine that in the early 90s? Enough Telegraph readers going that they would produce content for them?

Not a preview for people going, but here's James Fucking Delingpole in 1990:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/glastonbury/10141298/Glastonbury-1990-review-mud-rain-and-near-asphyxiation.html

Good link Gonzo.

I bloody loved the year Archaos were there and unlike most of you who have memories like elephants thats one that really does stand out :)

Below was written (by someone much more eloquent than I ) about an island but I think it perfectly fits for Glastonbury..

"Things change and thats how it should be but I wonder what will happen when only hipsters remain, when everything that used to be reality has become nothing more than a slogan to attract tourists and more tourists are just seeking and paying for something exclusive. Things change, Nostalgia though is an atavistic feeling of the most human kind. It is the feeling of desire to return. The etymology of nostalgia is greek and literally means pain of returning. But nothing returns and thats what hurts. People love things just as they are. We are prone towards paralysis wanting everything to stay the same. We anchor ourselves to situations and things and we remain tied yearning for idealised better days. But things do change, its inevitable and if they stay the same its just an illusion, our self-deception. Blindness born of despair..What would have been revolutionary and original at the time has almost become just a slogan for tourists looking for folkloric appeal, when it used to be something natural"..

Was that written by a Liverpool FC fan?

Gnomy?

I don't get the whole knocking people for having nice clothes bit, the hunter wellie brigade ect. I pack a few old clothes to last the festival but my wife, who is a woman of a larger persuasion whose weight does fluctuate, buys a new festival wardrobe every year depending on her weight. She also wears hunters as having hip displacement after two complicated pregnancies finds their fit comfier than other willies. She also does her hair and makeup and makes an effort with her outfits every day as if she's sleeping in a tent for best part of a week, wants to look good every day as it helps her feel good, which in turn helps her enjoy the days more.

But to judgemental passers by she's wearing hunters and has made an effort with her outfit so she must be a posh twat.

This is a good point. On here, for some reason hunters seems to be a dirty word. How can a particular make of welly upset people so much?

I think the ever-quickening rush to buy tickets favours big groups of people who can all try for each other - I think this may be increasing the proportion of students/young people (and thus newbies).

This might explain why the north-west bit of the site (John Peel, Silver Hayes & Pyramid) has been overpacked in recent years.

I remember ME saying a few years ago (maybe around 2005?) that he was worried that not enough young people were getting tickets, I seem to remember him saying something about them not having good enough internet connections!

I think he was concerned that the festival could become a mere tribute to itself, with a group of attendees growing old with it (and him).

It's a tricky one this - I was 20 when I first went to the festival but suspect I'm now above the average age as a 31 year old. I'm certainly not ready to give up yet!

I'm not gonna read back, but please tell me the absolute tools from that BBC Three programme on festivals have been discussed on this thread?

Edit: The programme where the parents watch them at the festival, just to clear it up.

Edited by ChrisTGA

I remember ME saying a few years ago (maybe around 2005?) that he was worried that not enough young people were getting tickets, I seem to remember him saying something about them not having good enough internet connections!

I think he was concerned that the festival could become a mere tribute to itself, with a group of attendees growing old with it (and him).

It's a tricky one this - I was 20 when I first went to the festival but suspect I'm now above the average age as a 31 year old. I'm certainly not ready to give up yet!

The average age is about 36 I think! You're a young pup...

I support the idea of actively encouraging younger people, it will be vibrant and long-lasting with modern and young input. I embrace all the changes. Sometimes it may take me out of my music comfort zone (Natural inclination is to go see the Moody Blues!).

Despite that our very large group increase the average age and I'm not so sure any younger groups are more organised and dedicated in the art of gaining tickets than us. Sort of implies we are too computer illiterate to cope! Around 30 of us each of the last 10 festivals, 100% record so far.

I bet the Glastonbury virgins find the experience as memorable as those of us who look back on earlier years with rose tinted glasses.

Not a preview for people going, but here's James Fucking Delingpole in 1990:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/glastonbury/10141298/Glastonbury-1990-review-mud-rain-and-near-asphyxiation.html

"Putrid latrines" - haha!

The Glastonbury toilets nowadays are definitely better than they were in the 90s.

Edited by Cheesey

I'm not gonna read back, but please tell me the absolute tools from that BBC Three programme on festivals have been discussed on this thread?

Edit: The programme where the parents watch them at the festival, just to clear it up.

You mean the one with the twins? They beat some innocent people up when they thought they were in their tent, but they had the wrong tent. Then one of them pulled, which the other one got very jealous about but then ended up stealing the girl of his brother. bizarrely it was all forgotten about and they for some reason didn't show that part back to the Mum.

That show definitely highlights how generally speaking the type of people going to festivals has changed. To echo a point I made earlier in this thread (which was not about money, but rather a specific type of person) one can only hope a couple of chumps like that never have the brain power to register and get up early in October to ever bother to get Glastonbury tickets.

Edited by tweed1981

You mean the one with the twins? They beat some innocent people up when they thought they were in their tent, but they had the wrong tent. Then one of them pulled, which the other one got very jealous about but then ended up stealing the girl of his brother. bizarrely it was all forgotten about and they for some reason didn't show that part back to the Mum.

That show definitely highlights how generally speaking the type of people going to festivals has changed. To echo a point I made earlier in this thread (which was not about money, but rather a specific type of person) one can only hope a couple of chumps like that never have the brain power to register and get up early in October to ever bother to get Glastonbury tickets.

Didn't watch the show but dickheads like that have been going to other festivals for years, from my experience they are in the minority at Glastonbury, but like anywhere were you get such a huge volume of people together you still get them

Most shocking was the realisation that there's a 'festival' in Shrewsbury.

Or did i dream that bit?

Didn't watch the show but dickheads like that have been going to other festivals for years, from my experience they are in the minority at Glastonbury, but like anywhere were you get such a huge volume of people together you still get them

I wouldn't bother watching it, absolute mind rot. it is also one of those programmes were the narrator makes out the subjects are 'crazy' because they drink 'loads' and the subjects seem to think they are the only people in the world who have ever got drunk, and that they are 'totally mad'.

Most shocking was the realisation that there's a 'festival' in Shrewsbury.

Or did i dream that bit?

And that despite there being a festival in Shrewsbury most people seemed to head into town on the Saturday? Could you think of anything more depressing than leaving Glastonbury to go into a town centre?

I wouldn't bother watching it, absolute mind rot. it is also one of those programmes were the narrator makes out the subjects are 'crazy' because they drink 'loads' and the subjects seem to think they are the only people in the world who have ever got drunk, and that they are 'totally mad'.

I glanced up at it whilst reading the latest Irvine Welsh novel. So I now I have no idea what this means or how I think about myself.

Nothing whatsoever to do with Glastonbury, but this never gets old:

Ha, what an utter numpty.

Favourite description of Delingpole is Charlie Brooker reviewing his class documentary: "Delingpole succeeds in improving the image of the upper classes. Whenever he opens his mouth to defend them, they magically become 50 times less irritating. Than him."