Who are The Who Replacing?

fitzyp

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was saying after last year they should sack off chasing Prince. If the little dicksplash doesn't want to play leave him to it. I'd genuinely rather have somebody who wants it headlining even if it was the Florence Harridan.

Based on nothing at all, I think it may have been the Stone Roses. Maybe Noel G had agreed to sub which left them short there too.

But I think NG would have subbed the Who too. They are all involved in The Teenage Cancer Trust.

I wonder if some of the musicians who are playing with The Who play with Weller as well, so if you want The Who you've got to take Weller as well?

None from me - throw the abuse my way, I actually like the vaccines ! (hides face in shame from music snobs) Headlining at Jersey Live so that'll keep me amused !

you sicken me!

I quite like them too, but will be seeing them at Kendal Calling so will give them a miss at Glastonbury.

and you!

*seethes*

More pure speculation, but I wonder if in any way it's connected to the changes in management over the last couple of years, since Festival Republic pulled out and Dick Tee left. Must've left a difficult set of experienced shoes to fill

they're people who aren't involved with any of the bookings side of things. So no.

Completely understand you saying nothing more on the subject of The Who's replacement, but out of interest how does Emily/the festival in general feel about you sharing stuff you hear on here related to line up? I'm sure you'd never divulge anything you were specifically told not to, but do they mind you passing on bits of info? They seem to be pretty chilled about most things, but always wondered.

N.B - please never stop doing so! We would be an awful lot more in the dark if it wasn't for you and this site, and it adds to the excitement for me.

Almost nothing of what I say here comes from official Glasto channels.

As far as I can remember they've never made a comment to me about a specific thing |I've posted on here, tho I guess it might bug them from time to time. I do try to bare in mind what the festival might think of me saying something tho, so anything I might say about the festival itself is normally fairly-well considered (I also have to be careful because of libel issues, etc).

They do definitely see efestivals as supportive of the festival, and both Michael and Emily are always happy to chat to me and tell me bits and pieces, so I guess nothing I've said has bothered them too much.

But I think NG would have subbed the Who too. They are all involved in The Teenage Cancer Trust.

I wonder if some of the musicians who are playing with The Who play with Weller as well, so if you want The Who you've got to take Weller as well?

Conversely, I can see both Paul Weller and Steve Craddock wandering on at some stage to join the Who, maybe even Wilko Johnson?

I've heard nothing further about how Chris might have been involved, tho cos I know more of what's gone on than I'm currently saying I can see a place where his involvement might have been crucial.

I was wondering if there's any more news about this yet, and if you're getting anywhere close to being able to tell us more about what happened? If not, do you think you'll be in a position to reveal the info to us before the festival, or is it likely to takes months/years?

I was wondering if there's any more news about this yet, and if you're getting anywhere close to being able to tell us more about what happened? If not, do you think you'll be in a position to reveal the info to us before the festival, or is it likely to takes months/years?

i'm not expecting to say anything about this in the near future, it could be months or years or never before I get what I believe happened to be confirmed to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any more on this?

Missing my first Glastonbury since 2007, coincidentally The Who year and so this little kerfuffle has at least eased my heartbreak.

I thought I'd made my peace with not going then the webcam went live, the site looked so beautiful and what I'm going to miss all came flooding back.

Anymore theories on what happened (or the the truth of what happened) would help ease my pain.

Might as well use this post to wish everyone a great festival, I hope you have glorious weather and my tips for newbies: Speak to everyone be open and friendly, always if you don't like what you're watching - move on and find something new and finally, make sure you end-up genuinely wanting to, and do, hug at least one new person a day.

Have a great Glastonbury.

Edited by PaulieV

Might as well use this post to wish everyone a great festival, I hope you have glorious weather and my tips for newbies: Speak to everyone be open and friendly, always if you don't like what you're watching - move on and find something new and finally, make sure you end-up genuinely wanting to, and do, hug at least one new person a day.

Have a great Glastonbury.

Nice post. A stranger from the web asked me to find somebody he wanted to give a hug at another festival and asked me to do it for him. I had a vague description and a name. I completely forgot the description but knew it was a stewarding job the guy was doing. 1st person I asked happened to be the one. Gave him the hug, a very uplifting experience for me as wouldn't usually give anybody that much attention other than my other half. Maybe I'll pluck up the courage, great shout tho :)

At Bestival last year, I had hurt my knee and it was giving me a problem during Basement Jaxx, so I was sitting outside the big top and I must have looked a bit fed up or sad and this girl (I am pretty sure she was actually wearing angel wings to! :P) just come over and gave me a hug randomly as I looked like i needed one and then promoptly left!

Felt uplifted for the rest of the weekend, despite the knee! So yes always make sure to hug, even if they are strangers!

• 1 month later...

there are so many inaccuracies in that article, I'd take the comment about Prince with a pinch of salt

It's not entirely inaccurate (the Prince bit), from what i've heard.

I don't think he was ever signed and sealed booked, but it does seem to be the case that they thought they were going to finally get him.

Maybe his source roadies for The Who.

Nope, my info is from somewhere far removed from The Who.

But anyway, who's to know whether that Who roadie has got solid info or just another piece of gossip that's going around? The same applies with my info.

It's frustrating not knowing with absolute certainty whether the info is accurate, but in this case I believe it is. The same guy told me the who were just booked as a replacement, and i dismissed it because of the Paris show - but it was spot on.

Edited by eFestivals

Question is does it increase or decrease the chances of Prince playing in the future?

On one hand it's a couple of times now he's flirted with playing, on the other hand it seems he's left Michael and Emily in the lurch a couple of times too. Although without knowing the circumstances it's hard to say that for sure. 

I would guess he will probably end up playing at some point, if for no reason other than Pyramid headliners are getting harder to fill by the year. 

Question is does it increase or decrease the chances of Prince playing in the future?

On one hand it's a couple of times now he's flirted with playing, on the other hand it seems he's left Michael and Emily in the lurch a couple of times too. Although without knowing the circumstances it's hard to say that for sure. 

I would guess he will probably end up playing at some point, if for no reason other than Pyramid headliners are getting harder to fill by the year. 

As far as i'm aware there's only been one 'flirtation' with playing, which was this year.

According to info which someone posted recently which I think is well-sourced, Prince is now saying he'll never do it.