Which was your best year and why?

Supernintendo Chalmers

My first 2013 for me. Everything that weekend just worked. Plus i witnessed what has to be a near perfect show from The Rolling Stones. I always knew Glastonbury was a good festival but when i experienced it i realised it was more than that. No words can describe it. Magical at the very least.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about this one all day and I think I have it down to 3, first what I have to pick from, I went first in '00 and have missed 2 since '04 and '14

first '00 for many reasons, it being my first, but i love the whole thing and Bowie wow and the Chems on the pyramid

'02 was so much more relaxed than '00 with SO much fewer people i don't remember much except loving the vibe around the place

and last '13 the weather was right, not too hot, very little rain, I wandered a lot and did little bits and pieces all weekend, and of course the best gig I've seen on the Pyramid - The Stones

2000 was my 1st Glastonbury and also my favourite. I hitchhiked down with a mate with 6 quid in my arse pocket, scaled the fence (sorry) & had the time of my life.
It was my first festival & I didn't know what to expect, we roughed it sleeping under the stars as well as in the Christian tent because we were so excited with our 1st lift hitchhiking that we left the poles to our tent at the side of the road.

I couldn't believe how big it was, I remember it was dark and we were lost so I asked someone where the Pyramid stage was & he smiled at me and pointed to the big beam of light shining towards the heavens. (we used that to get our bearings anywhere we were on site) It was an amazing year which had an edginess to it, but that was part of what made it for me. There was a magical vibe about the place.

2004 was my second favourite, I haven't seen as many bands in one festival as I did that year... nowadays tho, I see less bands. :biggrin:

Hard to see how anyone can top the amazement of your first one. Mine was in '95.

Ticket on tick from a younger mate and just a fortnights dole to spend (less after "supplies" (I was intermitting from Uni at the time)). Turned up Thursday morning and got a space in Pennards easily iirc.

I'd heard the stories of how the police were not allowed in and that anything went inside the festival, but nothing could have prepared me for the reality of it. Closest I will ever get to four days of anarchy I think.

The Line-up was just a who's who of Britpop. A legendary Portishead performance which I was tripping for (watched Reservoir Dogs there tripping another night as well! My mate had found some tabs on the floor in the (new that year?) dance tent. I just felt it was a perfect and "safe" environment for that kind of thing and just knew it had to be done, despite the warnings. I haven't touched hallucinogens since, funnily enough.

The fence came down above Sacred Space and people were just camped everywhere by the end. I'm sure I remember tents above the Stone Circle and in West Holts. Stupidly rammed it ended up. It'll never be the same post superfence.

Didn't get back until 2004 and have been a regular since. Of those '09 is probably my favourite. I was hospitalised pretty close to the festival and only got the nod to go on the Monday. As well as a feeling of "it's great to be out of hospital and I made it" I was a massive fan of the Live Rust album and nothing (not even a heart attack) was going to stop me from seeing Neil Young!

All my 3 (2011,2013 ,2014) have been brilliant.

My best friend who lives in the UK,(i'm in Ireland) whilst home on holidays had talked me into registering and I managed to get a ticket in 2011. I don't think I will ever forget the excitement of arriving in the car park on Tuesday night and actually walking through the gates. I thought nothing could ever top the week I had there, so was a little apprehensive in 2013, what could possibly top the first year off?? But of course it was a phenomenal year too and topped by last year when I actually set about discovering more of the site and not sticking to the main areas as much.

You see I think the question should be - At what point does Glastonbury start becoming the centre of your whole year and what you come to look forward to all winter and spring. The battle to get tickets, the resale (Coach for me this year), the planning the anticipation, and the fact you know, every single year you are privileged enough to be there, will be a great one! :)

Either my first, 2003, or 2010 for me.

2003 because it blew me away. As others have said your first time is special. It also had REM, Radiohead and Doves headlining plus it was the only one I'd done where I wasn't in my current job and therefore could take a lot of acid and pills.

2010 had the weather which made for a great atmosphere and really easy journeys around the site including at night. Plus Flaming Lips, The National, Pet Shop Boys, Slash, Ray Davies, LCD Soundsystem and Stevie.

Yeah, it's easy to moan that it used to be better, coz it really was utterly incredible in the 90s, but whatever the organisers did after 2003 (my last GF until 2013) was brilliant because the atmosphere is now magnificent, and as good as it could be for a huge, well drilled event.

Hey, do you remember when the Glade area was a scary little woodland bit, with a path through it, and some traveller types with their vehicles right in the middle? One day way back, I was tootling through there, beer in me belly, and I saw a sign nailed to a tree. It read "get yer fuckin hair cut", so i did. They had some clippers. All lopped off. Those were the days...

Yes remember it well, lots of small camps in-between the tree's at that point and selling dope on an industrial scale dope on the railway track, they were just cutting up 9 bars on a table with a kitchen knife, the tree's were also a lot more thick along there then too.....crazy days

My first (2010) will always hold a special place in my heart - sunshine & Stevie.

2013 also - the first year I took my other half, & thankfully watching him fall in love with the place as much as I have. I think the two year break for the fallow year also made it that bit more exciting. ETA - and Portishead. How could I forget Portishead?!

2011 & 2014 felt like slightly hard work I guess, due to going with the wrong group in '11 & the weather both years - definitely due another cracker this year, having had the extra wait for tickets in the resale (maybe that's another sign of a good year as we had the same uncertainty for tickets in 2013).

Edited by **claire**

Proves it's not all about the line-up eh?

indeed, but I just thought the atmosphere was lacking (though I was so against the superfence that I had already convinced myself it would be worse than the previous festival before I had even walked through the gates..)

Was 2010 the year e festivals played football in the pyramid field ? The same year as the hot year ?

If so that was the best year by far. Sunshine, great bands, great friends, good giggles

Never been repeated since.

I'm so hoping for another 2010 this year :-)

I reckon you are the only person ever to pick 2002 as their fave!

2002 did have a lot going for it. There seemed so few people about that everything was easy, not a queue in sight. Very laid back but perhaps too quiet.

2003 was probably my favourite though. No kids with us, total freedom, great weather, bands and enough people to carry the vibe.

I have enjoyed every visit in it's own way, even the wet ones.

There is something about Elbow, One Day Like This and the sunset that just means Glastonbury to me.

Yes 2011 was a great set though

Would love them to headline but don't think it will ever happen. Seen them 4 times and can't wait to see them again

last year was my best (been the last 5). think i'm getting to an age now where i'm starting to realise that less is more when it comes to drug consumption. not getting myself into beastly states like I did in the first few years. would often spend entire sunny days locked in my sauna like tent yearning for the sweet release of death on some weird trip or something.

There is something about Elbow, One Day Like This and the sunset that just means Glastonbury to me.

Yes 2011 was a great set though

Saw Guy Garvey having a few early afternoon beers prior to the Elbow set that evening. Pointed him out to my wife. Made me chuckle when he came on stage with a beer and not having changed his clobber for the performance...still a tad muddy

Been to every one since 1998. Loved 1998, despite the weather. First festival, 17 years old, mind blown by the whole thing. 2000 was pretty memorable, due to the insane numbers, the feeling of wildness in the air and the fence repeatedly coming down. 2003 may be my actual favourite, not least because of Radiohead and REM. 2005, I also remember as a good one, and 2007-2009, going with a great crowd of new friends from Bristol. 2002 is the only relative 'dud' I can remember. Felt too quiet and dare I say it 'safe' post-fence, before a semblance of the old madness began to return.

Bring back the charity football match!

We need to get a charity match up and running again tbf.

I tried to organise this in 2013, and was in contact with GFL and wateraid (had people signed up for squads and allsorts) but as the licence had just gone back into GFL's hands (instead of festival republic) they were nervous about the whole thing, whether they had to provide security etc and it was pulled at the last minute :(

Back on topic though, 2008 was my first and holds a special place, but 2010 was easily the most enjoyable due to the scorcher, dozing in front of the pyramid with my hat covering my face for most of the weekend.

2007 1st time and year on year thinking it was losing it's shine slowly but surely, last year 2014 I really enjoyed and not sure why. Think it was not being arsed about who I saw. Or maybe it's the 7 year itch.

Edited by whisty

Been to all since 2004, have never come back and thought any of them were bad but two or three stand out as favs.

2005, went with one other mate from home and we camped with four lads I know from going to Arsenal with, great company, everyone on a level with each other and no arguments whatsoever, even the storm added to it....and still gets talked about whenver I see any of them to this day. Ian Brown closing the Other stage on the Sunday night was fantastic.

2008, again, just great company, managed to pull that year haha - and lots of very good quality drugs going around our camp, had also waited years to see The Verve and enjoyed their set immensly.

However, 2010 tops it, had 30 of us go together, great laughs, awesome weather, good line up, very good drugs, and managed to get into Arcadia on two nights when it was still in that small area in the S.E corner. I still rate that the best festival experience I've had in the 49 I've now managed to do!

2007 was the only one I'd had enough of by the Sunday night, but I still managed to enjoy myself, was just ready to go home as all my clothes were pretty much ruined by that point and knew I had run out of energy.

I still however kick myself to this day to going to just Reading from 1999-2003 when other mates had started going to Glastonbury and missing out on those last couple of 'wild' pre super-fence years that they all did...hindsight is a wonderful thing...