Camping. Where and why?

ChrisTGA

This is my third year this year, previously I have camped in Pennards hill and the campervan fields (next to my friends campervan). This year a lot of us are camping and having camped in Pennards the first year and throughly enjoying it there, I noticed on arrival that there wasn't much space, so I was wondering where everyone camps and why, in an attempt to find a new, similar camping spot with maybe a bit more room and not an absolute mile away from the entrance.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my mates always camp in Oxylers (other stage field) and thoroughly enjoy it. We can normally watch the screens and get a decent sound throughout the day so makes social drinks early on in the day enjoyable. Also close to dance village for late night. Only downside is the trek to SE Corner/West Holts.. But I tend to be between Park and JP so it suits me being between the two!

Camped at pylon the last 3 or 4 years, can't recommend it enough for many reasons...

1. We can't get ther until Thursday afternon and there's always been loads of space still

2. Close to Gate a, really short walk down the hill once you're through the gate

3. Quite quiet campsite

4. Loads of nice people, not too loud

5. Ideal for the east part of the site, only a couple of minutes a walk down the hill to the Dance village and JP

6. Never been too long a walk from parking to Gate A

Camped at pylon the last 3 or 4 years, can't recommend it enough for many reasons...

1. We can't get ther until Thursday afternon and there's always been loads of space still

2. Close to Gate a, really short walk down the hill once you're through the gate

3. Quite quiet campsite

4. Loads of nice people, not too loud

5. Ideal for the east part of the site, only a couple of minutes a walk down the hill to the Dance village and JP

6. Never been too long a walk from parking to Gate A

Only been once but camped in Pylon and thought it was great. Close enough to everything generally for me. Although as we plan to explore Shangri-La a bit more this year may need a rethink. Places like Oxylers just seem way to overcrowded for me personally.

Spring Ground/Hitchin Hill for me again. Tend to get plenty of space, not too loud and close enough to gate A. Also, as it's off the beaten path to the various areas you don't often get people traipsing through your camp unless they are 'locals'.

Fucking miles from The Park and SE corner though, but as I enjoy a nice bimble whilst people-watching, I'm more than happy with that.

This is a great link to people wanting to know a bit more about camp sites.... LINKY tbh just a great read in total....

This webpage will live longer than the festival itself, a reference for our children and our children's children.

Too early to look at it for me though, it's a mid-May ritual that gets me right in the mood! (And then I camp in the same site anyway)

Ah, great to see these kind of thread popping up again after the drought of winter.

I think the inner fields are all about the same - busy, cramped and noisy but bustling with atmosphere and a big gamble in terms of your neighbours. The outer fields are similar too - more space, a bit quieter but longer walks to the action.

Edited by kalifire

I've not camped in the busier parts but walking through some when it has rained it gets pretty bad. Big Ground seems to get bad when there is rain and the obvious edge of camping areas, Lower Mead springs to mind, gets boggy due to foot traffic.

Anyone had any really bad experiences with mud/water where they have camped?