Lineup 2016

Matt42

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Me At Six and Bring Me The Horizon will both headline at some point in the future. I would say Enter Shikari too, but I think they will peak as subs.

Nah those three will never headline, can't see them getting fanbases much bigger than they have now.

If one of them breaks up and reunites in 3 years I could see one headlining download but not reading.

Nah those three will never headline, can't see them getting fanbases much bigger than they have now.

If one of them breaks up and reunites in 3 years I could see one headlining download but not reading.

You can't see BMTH's fanbase getting any bigger? Also I'd say that YM@6 are slowly getting there and maybe Shikari but that isn't true Matt

I'd say that BMTH are almost nailed on for being a future Download headliner, granted their next album needs to be quality like Sempiternal is, I also think that YMAS are in the same position, with them currently doing an arena tour which is all but sold out, and then the fact they're subbing at IOW, again only need another big album IMO to push them up to headliner.

I agree with Enter Shikari, they haven't gone anywhere fast and are still doing academies.

I agree with Enter Shikari, they haven't gone anywhere fast and are still doing academies.

They're an act that is slowing getting bigger and if they really wanted to they could start doing bigger venues like Apllo sized venues and maybe even Alexandria Place (like the ADTR February 2014 tour but prehahps one or two mate dates) but they don't want to as they love playing Academies so it large part it is their fault

Edited by justanothername

Bring Me The Horizon will never headline reading

you can quote me on this in the future if i'm wrong.

A quote from John Mac (i.e. the person in charge of booking for R&L) from this article http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/how-are-the-headline-acts-at-the-top-uk-festivals-booked

“A lot of the time it’s bands we’ve been working with from the beginning, who’ve played one of our baby stages and graduated up, like Frank Turner or Bring Me The Horizon or Jake Bugg. They’ve all grown up with the festival and that’s important to us; we’re hoping to give those acts their first headline slot in the near future.”

Granted that was for the 2013 festival when all those acts were playing but it is still clear that they're keeping on a close eye on to see their progress and I don't see why not BMTH wouldn't headline at all, especially with the main stream attention they've been getting

Would happily eat my words if they do, though if they do it surely spells the end. That would be beyond R/L levels of desperation

If they were big enough to headline then R&L would be desperate booking them to headline in the near future. I can actually see this happening in within the next 5 years, for me the main factor isn't their increase in popularity but if Oli's voice isn't totally fucked by then

Edited by justanothername

Yeah BMTH are gonna get there eventually. I am doubtful of YMAS as I thought they'd be stepping up quite a bit on the album they just released and Enter Shikari definitely won't but BMTH are almost as surefire as Foals or Royal Blood.

Been thinking about future headliners a lot recently, you got any more thoughts on bands who could eventually work their way up to the top the bill (bar the obvious)? Would personally love to see Disclosure or Kendrick Lamar headline in 3-4 years time.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if BMTH or YMAS never headline. Shikari definitely won't, and neither will Frank Turner, unless they do a drastic KOL-esque sell out.

I remember being convinced White Lies would become headliners in like 2011. What happened there eh?

I was thinking about White Lies a few months ago in terms of that and I'd agree that it looked that way at one point. Subbed the Other Stage at Glasto, Radio 1/NME stage at T and the NME tent at R+L off the back of the 2nd album and played Wembley Arena at the end of that tour. Not sure if it was because there was quite a big gap between the 2nd and 3rd album, but their popularity decreased massively after that.

They had a few big support slots back then as well which would've helped. supported Kings of Leon and Coldplay on stadium tours and Snow Patrol on an arena tour just after the first album was out.

Cowboy said a couple of months ago that You Me at Six weren't headliners and that's just about the sort of gig you'd expect them to be getting if they're to eventually headline R+L. Plus they were supposedly bumped down the bill for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis which isn't a great sign. I can't see how they'd really get any bigger than they are and headline - same with Fall Out Boy.

I'd personally say The Vaccines are just about to miss the boat and their ride on the back of the first album will run out. After the slots in anticipation for the second album, the third should really have been putting them up there.

I don't have any suggestions to offer. Maybe The Black Keys now they're headlining IOW but I'm really not sure R+L would risk that even with another popular album.

I was thinking about White Lies a few months ago in terms of that and I'd agree that it looked that way at one point. Subbed the Other Stage at Glasto, Radio 1/NME stage at T and the NME tent at R+L off the back of the 2nd album and played Wembley Arena at the end of that tour. Not sure if it was because there was quite a big gap between the 2nd and 3rd album, but their popularity decreased massively after that.

They had a few big support slots back then as well which would've helped. supported Kings of Leon and Coldplay on stadium tours and Snow Patrol on an arena tour just after the first album was out.

Also supported Muse at Wembley.