What have you done to get ready for Glastonbury 2015?

FuzzyDunlop

Sack truck fans, get one of these. If you don't carry too much, they're the absolute business. We used it for the booze, tent and other misc for the two of us last year, with one medium rucksack each. They happily let us on the bus with it as it folds up nice. Collapses nicely into the car for Latitude, carries 3 people's booze, tent + misc from the car park to campsite. It's done about 20 fests in the 5 years since I bought it, becuase any bugger I know that goes to one wants to borrow it from me, not a dent on the thing from lots of punishment, wheels still in rotating order.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with a two wheel sack truck is that you have to support all the weight.

A couple of years ago I engineered our Glastomobile out of two £10 B&Q sack trucks bolted together. Because it was 4 wheeled we could take a rest between pushing/pulling. It was also, deliberately, non-steering as pivot points tends to be points of weakness.

Yes it was big and needed a roof rack but was worth it.

2jeuzi0.jpg[/quote you should stick a lawn mower engine on that grumpyhack, I wonder if they would let you in.

Sack truck fans, get one of these. If you don't carry too much, they're the absolute business. We used it for the booze, tent and other misc for the two of us last year, with one medium rucksack each. They happily let us on the bus with it as it folds up nice. Collapses nicely into the car for Latitude, carries 3 people's booze, tent + misc from the car park to campsite. It's done about 20 fests in the 5 years since I bought it, becuase any bugger I know that goes to one wants to borrow it from me, not a dent on the thing from lots of punishment, wheels still in rotating order.

What the small wheels like in mud, Lawn?

Or was it a case of fold & carry in real ankle deep Pilton swamp conditions? I'm thinking 2007.

I have used one of these (bought in Lidl) for about 6 years never had any issues some Mud still no issues

What the small wheels like in mud, Lawn?

Or was it a case of fold & carry in real ankle deep Pilton swamp conditions? I'm thinking 2007.

Wasn't there in 2007, but I gather the place was a swamp, so I don't want to go too far. Never had a problem with proper mushy mud, though. I know those little wheels look a bit small and feeble, but they're actually pretty fucking durable if you're up to giving it a shove (which can be a tall order on the Glastonbury Monday morning), the axle is really strong so you don't need to worry about them getting bent out of position. Ground clearance isn't a lot, but it's never got bogged down. I would say that you might want to travel light, or buy two, it's not going to take the sort of enormous stack of crates you see some sack barrows loaded up with. I'd say a manageable amount to push around the site on it is about 60 - 80 kilos going by what I've put on it in the past.

Is the car park miles away from the campsites?

Also, do most of you who drive down take all your booze into the fest in one go or do you usually leave some in the car to fetch on a later date?

I'm thinking about investing in one of those barrows, but I should see if it would be worth it

There are two car parks and a lot of camping areas all over site, so it depends where you plan to camp and where you park!

We usually take half our booze in at the start, and then make another trip back halfway through the fest, as normally we're too excited to get out and explore the site to make a third trip to the car on the Wednesday!!

Is the car park miles away from the campsites?

Also, do most of you who drive down take all your booze into the fest in one go or do you usually leave some in the car to fetch on a later date?

I'm thinking about investing in one of those barrows, but I should see if it would be worth it

The car park to campsite distance obviously varies depending on where you camp but it can be up to a mile or so and may involve some up and down hill walking, I always think it's worth a slightly longer trek to get to a good bit of campsite as you'll be there for the best part of a week.

We're hoping to get a good spot in oxlyers (if it's in the same place as last year), so looking at the maps, could be a bit of a trek, especially if we're in blue or purple car parks. I guess the festival allocate where you park, is that right?

you'll be directed into a certain carpark depending on which side you approach from, and then which carparks are open/have space.

for Oxlyers it would be worth taking a detour well before Pilton and approaching from the west.

We're hoping to get a good spot in oxlyers (if it's in the same place as last year), so looking at the maps, could be a bit of a trek, especially if we're in blue or purple car parks. I guess the festival allocate where you park, is that right?

Wessex, we tend to get there Tuesday night and drink late into the night and queue for just a wee while on Weds morning.

My point being the earlier you arrive the closer you're parked to the gates.

[Weirdly, last year we parked up and went for a wander to suss the distance to the gate. The fenceline demarcating the CV area had changed from the previous year and we found ourselves in the BBC, Morning TV, TV stations, etc, neatly, pre-set up static caravan area with a tent for key collections and a pizza bus. Later the area was blocked off.]

Anyhoo! Getting there that early meant it was a 1 hour round trip from Big Ground to the car and back. Peace of piss.

We took a serious shitload of booze that year and I did a hangover curing walk every day but one to the car, grabbing brekky on the way out and loading an empty rucksack with tins and carrying a crate.

Best, easiest, cheapest fest ever. Only spent money on food.

Also took dirty clothes back to the car each morning with me, meaning me and Mrs Woffy only had a tent and sleeping bags to lug back to the car early Monday morning.

Back in Bucklebury of the Shire on Monday and in the shower by 10am.

Wasn't there in 2007, but I gather the place was a swamp, so I don't want to go too far. Never had a problem with proper mushy mud, though. I know those little wheels look a bit small and feeble, but they're actually pretty fucking durable if you're up to giving it a shove (which can be a tall order on the Glastonbury Monday morning), the axle is really strong so you don't need to worry about them getting bent out of position. Ground clearance isn't a lot, but it's never got bogged down. I would say that you might want to travel light, or buy two, it's not going to take the sort of enormous stack of crates you see some sack barrows loaded up with. I'd say a manageable amount to push around the site on it is about 60 - 80 kilos going by what I've put on it in the past.

Thanks Lawn. Appreciated.

Despite my post above, the Mother In Law is coming to her first Glasto this year so I'd like to make the trip in as easy as possible for her.

Thanks again.

you'll be directed into a certain carpark depending on which side you approach from, and then which carparks are open/have space.

for Oxlyers it would be worth taking a detour well before Pilton and approaching from the west.

Wessex, we tend to get there Tuesday night and drink late into the night and queue for just a wee while on Weds morning.

My point being the earlier you arrive the closer you're parked to the gates.

[Weirdly, last year we parked up and went for a wander to suss the distance to the gate. The fenceline demarcating the CV area had changed from the previous year and we found ourselves in the BBC, Morning TV, TV stations, etc, neatly, pre-set up static caravan area with a tent for key collections and a pizza bus. Later the area was blocked off.]

Anyhoo! Getting there that early meant it was a 1 hour round trip from Big Ground to the car and back. Peace of piss.

We took a serious shitload of booze that year and I did a hangover curing walk every day but one to the car, grabbing brekky on the way out and loading an empty rucksack with tins and carrying a crate.

Best, easiest, cheapest fest ever. Only spent money on food.

Also took dirty clothes back to the car each morning with me, meaning me and Mrs Woffy only had a tent and sleeping bags to lug back to the car early Monday morning.

Back in Bucklebury of the Shire on Monday and in the shower by 10am.

Thanks for the help guys

We want to get in early, so leaving Tuesday night sounds a good option. I don't really wanna be spending much on booze, as it seems a waste when you can just bring cans with you. It also leaves more money to spend on some good food!

Thanks for the help guys

We want to get in early, so leaving Tuesday night sounds a good option. I don't really wanna be spending much on booze, as it seems a waste when you can just bring cans with you. It also leaves more money to spend on some good food!

Where are you coming from?

Wrexham, North Wales

Ah ok.

So, 3, 3.5 hours-ish?

We were pretty much parked as near as it was possible to be at about 8pm-ish on the Tuesday on the east side of the site. Hill of Death side, but hey ho.

Just so you can gauge arrival times / how far you'd be parked from the gate (for us Gate C).

Cars were piling in behind but the mass influx dried up by the time it was dark - 9:30ish - to just dribs and drabs coming in.

Ah ok.

So, 3, 3.5 hours-ish?

We were pretty much parked as near as it was possible to be at about 8pm-ish on the Tuesday on the east side of the site. Hill of Death side, but hey ho.

Just so you can gauge arrival times / how far you'd be parked from the gate (for us Gate C).

Cars were piling in behind but the mass influx dried up by the time it was dark - 9:30ish - to just dribs and drabs coming in.

That's about right, yep

We were thinking of getting there not long before the site opens, but will the queue be huge by then?

Where are you travelling from?

Edited by WessexBoy

That's about right, yep

We were thinking of getting there not long before the site opens, but will the queue be huge by then?

Where are you travelling from?

Huge but moving.

It's anal, but I enjoy the atmosphere getting there on the Tuesday.

I thought Mrs Woffy would be effed off with me getting her there so early for her first Glasto last year, but she loved it.

We sit, drink, chat with the others parked around us, have a kip in the car once we're squiffy and get up early and get in the queue.

That said...i think UEF once posted that he/she queued for HOURS on the Wednesday morning in 2013...but - again - i seem to remember they'd changed the car park / route to entrance configuration.

And then it seemed back the way it was in 2014. And they seemed to have sorted the queue organisation shit out really well last year on the east side. Lots of info from stewards telling us how long we'd have to wait before we were in.

All a bit of pot luck, hence we get there as early as poss.

Maybe this needs it's own thread?

Edit: travelling from Newbury, Berkshire way...so it's only just over an hour for us.

Edited by Woffy