R&L Gig Review

Guest kemosabe

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people going to go see bands that are announced for R+L before the festival though?

well people will already have stuff planned... I know I saw two bands before Leeds who were there, not that it matters because if people dont want to put stuff the thread will die away which is whats great with a forum... I don't understand why every thread should end up a mess of off topic discussion though just to be "relevant"

Saw Royal Blood in Reading and thought they were OK. It's easy to understand why there's a lot of hype over them and why they're supporting Arctics and Pixies, their sound and songs have far more potential to reach a wider audience than other bluesy-rock duos like The Bots or Wet Nuns. At the moment they're a new band with a couple of good songs and the rest of their set is filler, but that's what I'd expect. They aren't as immediately exciting or interesting live like Wet Nuns or The Bots, but I expect them to far exceed what those achieved in time due to their potential appeal and songwriting being pretty good. They were good at what they did but it wasn't that different, although when they're three albums in and can fill a whole set with decent songs it'll make up for them not being as inventive and edgy live as I had hoped. That may sound harsher than intended, it's just a different take on their current hype based on one gig. In time I can easily see them developing into a decent stoner blues rock band, and the songs will make their live performance.

To clarify if you have the chance I'd go and see them, they a good band and are better than a lot of shit out there. But they're only a new band so don't expect too much.

Edited by mrtourette

Oh I just realised I can contribute:

Arctic Monkeys (Glastonbury Festival) -

They played Imagine, My Sweet Lord and maybe Don't Look Back in Anger (no they didn't play Imagine twice) over the PA before the show, their choice I'm assuming, and that created a good singalong. They came on, crowd went mad, started playing DIWK and had the crowd in their hands - sort of went downhill from there.

They did something strange with the screens, put some stupid filter on it so you could barely watch that. They played really crap imitations of their old songs which don't really suit Alex's new voice. Ones from Humbug and SIAS were alright but they were fairly lost on the crowd as that was probably during a downturn for the band which a lot of fans weren't interested in. Mad Sounds was shite because the crowd didn't know it and, as a slow track, you could hear a lot of talking through it. The string arrangement was quite refreshing but the encore/setting up beforehand was too fucking long. Closed with their (at the time) regular closer 505 which is really kinda dull and a lot of the crowd were already leaving during that.

I'd personally give it a 4/10 but I might just have enjoyed it less because they won awards for that gig didn't they? Also, their shows MUST have improved now with a lot of the old songs cut out. There was a shit load of FWN which I find awful so I might not have enjoyed it as much as the next person.

Edited by dentalplan

No problem. Gonna do try to get it done for QOTSA this year and the Josh Homme can call me a star as well

You have to write some a reason why you nominated and then they select you, but given that QOTSA are gonna headline R&L, fanboying over them should be easy and therefore should be easy to win

Anyway, to at least my post relevant I'm seeing Drenge tonight and as they have self confirmed I'll put what I thought here

No problem. Gonna do try to get it done for QOTSA this year and the Josh Homme can call me a star as well

You have to write some a reason why you nominated and then they select you, but given that QOTSA are gonna headline R&L, fanboying over them should be easy and therefore should be easy to win

Anyway, to at least my post relevant I'm seeing Drenge tonight and as they have self confirmed I'll put what I thought here