R&L Gig Review

Guest kemosabe

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paramore 4/10 nah

Vampire Weekend 7/10

Enter Shikari 5/10 (the bass player's guitar broke the second time)

Deaf Havana 4/10 nah

Courteeners 7/10 Mad fer it and all that, There'll be some absolute weapons about

Arctic Monkeys 6/10

Jake Bugg 6/10 Why the fudge is he subbing?

Imagine Dragons 8/10 Surprisingly good

The Hives 10/10 TIGHT PANTS

Peace 8/10 Surprisingly good

Bombay Bicycle Club 7/10 They're nice, with all their nicey niceness

Don Broco 1/10 poo

The 1975 3/10 That's a guess, I wasn't paying much attention, but they're basically Bastille aren't they?

Edited by WessexBoy

Queens of the Stone Age- Best band on the line up, live and on record. Could talk all day about how incredible they are live but they will do the talking when they hit the stage and turn your bones to dust when they pump out Better Living Through Chemistry (probably the best live song i've seen- ever). Saw them three times last year and they just get better every time.

...which cannot be said for...

Arctic Monkeys- Amazing the first time I saw them in 2011 but I just found my self a little frustrated on the AM tour. Between the knuckleheaded crowd and Alex Turner's perpetual combing they are getting worse live it seems and have started calling in performances with the same ol' routine every night. Bring a camping chair for the unbearable 5 mins of silence between every song. My advice? Go see Queens of the Stone Age again at Leeds instead...

Vampire Weekend- Brilliant live at Troxy last year and a fantastic festival band. Pretty much a universal crowd pleaser and they always look so happy which is always a bonus.

Chvrches- Infatuation for Lauren Mayberry aside, they are really great live. Weird thing is they sell out their gigs extremely quickly and then the people at their gigs don't really seem to know any of the songs... (fucking hipsters). Will be fantastic in the tent i'm sure.

The 1975- All I can really remember is poor Matt Healy looked like he'd shit himself in fear over the large crowd (Emirates). Forgive them with the fact that it was their first BIG show and it was pre-album. They will probably deliver a solid set in the tent, they do whopping huge setlist relative to how long they've been around and i'm sure they will be a darn sight better than MackLEmore

Might as well share a little opinion of each of the bands I've seen:

Architects - Decent Live band. Good job they're in the tent though, Atmosphere is lost on an outdoor stage.

A Day To Remember - Very good live band, especially if you like jumping around.

Deaf Havana - Seen this band countless times. Have been great when I've seen them at their own shows but each time I've seen them at a Festival they've felt a bit lost in the scale of it.

Don Broco - Always great fun to see this band, although can't say I'm keen on their fans. Seem to be 90% attended by hipster kids who think they're the heaviest thing in the world. Also did they warrant playing 4 years in a row?

Drenge - Pretty decent when I saw them, especially seeing as they haven't been going long. Didn't waste time with crowd Interaction, just got on with it.

Enter Shikari - Phenomenal live band and can definitely convey their energy across a big outdoor stage. Worth watching

Foster The People - High energy levels in the tent in 2012, if you're into this sort of thing they're worth a watch.

Hacktivist - Awful band. They support everyone so I've seen them about 6/7 times now, and every time I've walked away thinking they were cack.

The Hives - My mate is adamant The Hives are the best live band in the world. They've been great when I've seen them, so much energy. The whole show is fantastic.

Jimmy Eat World - Fantastic band, quite disappointing live. Great for having a sing along to but their performing always feels a bit Half Arsed to me.

Letlive. - Perhaps one of the most energetic live bands at the moment. Hopefully they'll be in the tent, the energy levels would be through the roof. Would be interesting though if they can Open the main stage one day, I think that would be even more exciting.

Lower Than Atlantis - Used to be such a great live band. Last few times though it felt a bit dull, it's a very bog standard show. Would recommend if you've never seen them before.

Marmozets - Command a poor stage presence, playing is messy, would not recommend.

Neck Deep - Decent live band, especially considering they've only been going a year. Show has improved each time I've seen them, hopefully by Reading it's turned into something special.

Paramore - Great indoors, poor outdoors. Not much more to say. (My first gig was Paramore and I loved it)

Queens of the Stone Age - I really like Queens of the Stone Age but When I saw them I found them really dull live. Everyone reckons they're a bit hit and miss so hopefully they'll be on the ball at Reading.

You Me At Six - Really like this band but they just can't perform live. Always just feels sloppy to me. That said, they've reportedly improved significantly since releasing their latest album so would give them another chance.

If we're counting Orwells 9/10 Singer was completely smashed (he fell off the stage twice), but it didn't stop the performance from being really energetic. Some guy got chucked out for hugging the singer when he got on stage (most people ended up on stage tbf), so the singer ran towards him, spoke with the security guard, and he got let back in, which was pretty cool. The 'crowd' weren't as dickhead-ish as I thought they'd be either, but it was byob, so everyone was happy

Edited by WessexBoy

Paramore – Pretty average, nothing overwhelming in 2012 - 5/10

Enter Shikari – Fantastic fun live, were really enjoyable on the main stage in 2011 and 2012. They are getting more and more cliché but always a fun live experience – 8.5/10

Deaf Havana – Been dragged along a few times now so I have to try and make myself enjoy them but they’re always very tight and decent enough fun – 7/10

Jake Bugg – As has already been said, average performer of okay songs. Nothing special – 6.5/10

Bombay Bicycle Club – Found them very dull in 2012 – 4/10

You me at Six – Best band I’ve seen live of that genre, I found it tedious myself but the very many fan-boys and girls seemed to have a blast – 7/10

Lower than Atlantis – I’ve seen them in a 250 capacity venue which was, to be fair, a good laugh. Awful music but if they are put in The Pit, or one of the smaller stages, I reckon they could pull off a decent enough show – 6/10

Neck Deep – Thought they were pretty shite. A lot of energy in the crowd but a very average gig – 4/10

Royal Blood – Very tight, and really great sound. The crowd was a lot of fun too, I’d definitely recommend – 8.5/10

Paramore - ince it was first announced on here they would be playing i havent been able to decide if i want to see them again. They were good fun and lively in 2012 and i rmemeber coming away from the set thinking that it was really good. Not bothering to watch them this time but i know plenty who cant wait... should be a good show

I saw the end of Jake Bugg just before Dog is Dead on the FR stage at Leeds in 2012... Didnt actually remember this untill someone told me today... I can remember nothing about the set at all so im afraid i cant give it a review... I hope he is more memorable this time though!

Foster The People Saw them at Leeds in 2012 (sence a theme here!) and they were great... Once of my acts of the festival and they really got the crowd going :D looking forward to them again!

Pendulum DJ - Saw them this new years eve.. i was warned off it by people on here and I have to say i would do the same to anyone planning to watch them. Now dont get me wrong its not bad, its just not pendulum... there mixing isnt great and they didn't play that many actual Pendulum songs and they were remixes anyway... Would watch Nero instead and wait from Pendulum to play next year (hopefullly :D)

Edited by kemosabe

Deaf Havana- Twas an acoustic set in my local Fopp. They're very pleasant fellows and were on top form. Met them afterwards and got a signed album as well :) I'd like to see an electric set from them very much.

Jake Bugg- Saw him twice. Once headlining a medium-sized festival, Splendour in Nottingham. To be fair, everyone else overshadowed him and it felt like he had trouble headlining to a crowd of 20,000 even if it was in his hometown. Also, the crowd weren't very good. Saw him again in February at Nottingham Arena. It was much, much better and he has greatly developed as a live act and there was a terrific atmosphere. I think booking him to sub is a bad choice though. He'd be a bit lost with such a prestigious slot, however exciting it is to see a Nottingham artist so high on the lineup.

Peace/Drenge- Saw these lot at the same gig. They are both incredible live and will smash it. Maybe Peace won't translate as well on the main stage, but they will smash it.

The 1975- Seriously, they are fantastic live. 10/10. Seen them twice and they were absolutely phenomenal both times.

Forgot I saw The 1975 this year... they were quite good as a band but the crowd was shit. They made the mistake of playing the songs everyone knows at the start... so by the end the tent was half full. However i think the fact the FR tent was rammed shows the level of support they have so i would expect the NME tent to be rammed this year.

Also Bombay Bicycle Club I have no idea how i missed them in my other reviews. they were the first band i ever saw live! Right so i saw them in 2011 (ish) and i have to say that night was the best musical experience of my life so far. Obviously im not going to deny the fact it was my first live band definitely played a part however they smashed it (as did Dog is Dead and Dry the river)

But i saw them at Leeds in 2012 and i have to be honest it was a bit meh... the sound didn't carry well and they seemed a bit flat. But hopefully with the new album and in the tent it should be fantastic... i know im looking forward to it!

Right

Queens of the Stone Age kick ass live no matter where you are in the crowd and no matter who you're with they'll bring the Joshua Tree to you so don't even WORRY you'll love it DEFINITELY SEE THEM. Paramore aren't quite as good but contrary to what a lot of people on here will tell you, they're really good live. They're technically proficient, get the crowd going really well, and Hayley's just fab why won't you watch Paramore? Vampire Weekend have like 4 songs so if you missed 2009 that much just go see them they're okay live I'll be missing them. Enter Shikari are my most seen band ever and they should have new material out by then so they're definitely worth a watch - the crowd fucking love them too. Hacktivist are gimmicky and shallow but if you buy into the gimmick you should go anyway. Temples are just in the middle of their UK tour and here's what I thought about that anyway.

Foster the People are actually kinda fun live but I really don't think it'll work on the main stage whatsoever having seen them on the NME. If you're stuck for nothing to do, the tracks from their album do sound really cool live. Cage the Elephant you already like so what the fuck does it matter what I say? Saturday is really unique to me huh that's interesting.

Blink 182 fucking suck live. Do not see them. A Day To Remember are alright if you like metalcore and cringing at new age heavy music. Expect breakdowns, lack of substance. Again, they're the only two I've seen on Sunday.

AND NOW THE ASSORTED BITS. Architects are worth a watch, if you're into your heavy music. Actually quite compelling hardcore which I didn't expect when I saw them. Klaxons are undoubtedly gonna be one of the best acts all weekend and they're underbooked so go and support them please? letlive. are great live, pure energy and nothing less than you'd expect from their music. Royal Blood are Royal Blood so go and see them, and that's all from me.