R&L Gig Review

Guest kemosabe

This thread is where people can write a report or review on recent gigs or festivals they have seen involving anyone at Leeds and Reading 2014.

This thread is designed to help out people when it comes to clashes or looking for bands to see at the festival so can i please ask that the reviews are purely bands which are confirmed or TBC and not anyone else :D Also we really need people to get involved of this thread is useless

Cheers :D

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only seen two of the bands so I'll do them. By the way I work out of ten and in decimals too.

You Me At Six - Saw them at Leeds Festival in 2012 and on the main stage as well. Was a bit disappointed to be honest and I liked YM@6 a lot back then. Did get better towards the end and the setlist was poor (lacked older songs, but theses were good) but this may not be the case this year. 6.0/10

Architects - Saw them at Download last year on the main stage. Thought they were good and would be better in a tent (like they are this year). But they were entertaining and I hardly knew any Architects. Converted me into a fan. Probably going to see them on the current tour so if I do I report back on it. 7.4/10

Edited by justanothername

Arctic Monkeys: Pretty dull on their arena tour last year. Old songs sounded really lacklustre, and the Humbug/SIAS songs were the definite highlights. Saw them previously in 2011 and it was great.

Jake Bugg: Saw him at Leeds 2012. Exactly what you'd expect, a fairly standard performance of some fairly standard songs. Probably gonna be worse on the main stage.

saw you me at 6 at the olympic torch relay finale gig, and they brought good energy, not the best band but a solid 6.5/10

if paramore and qotsa count:

Saw paramore at wembley arena in september and it was a very good gig.. lots of energy, despite basically playing their self titled album in full,live, which was pretty good they played quite a lot of their back catalog which was excellent and had great stage presence. 7.5/10

Saw QOTSA at wembley arena in november and it was fantastic. The band were in top form and the show was stunning. The new songs come off really good live and their back catalog is amazing. 9/10

Disclosure

18/11/13 O2 ACADEMY LEEDS

Have to say im a massive fan of the album but having seen them at Leeds last year it really was the act of the weekend for me and so I was quick to snap up tickets for this gig and they really didn't disappoint playing all the classics with the high quality I now expect from them and dispite my now high expectations they didnt let me down (being probably my favorite gig for along time)

Having seen them twice now and I have watched the reading performance on Youtube and crowd participation is a massive part with them getting everyone singing and dancing to the massive tunes off their debut album and potentially they could be quite boring without a lively crowd behind them which could happen if they are against Arctic Monkeys? Im sure this is a stupid concern though as R&L have more then enough music fans to go around and Skrillex and Knife party were great last year by all accounts.

One thing a mate commented after seeing them for the first time with me was that he enjoyed the electronic music being made in front of you, something I hadn't actually realized until I saw them again and i really do think this adds to the gig.

So would i recommend someone else to see them, yes I would and i fully expect them to have a massive gig with a bouncing crowd once again.

Jake Bugg - Saw him at iTunes Festival 2012 before The Killers, had only recently heard of him and was fairly impressed but nothing overly special. Was better at his own Shepherd's Bush headline show, although I thought the intimacy of the venue really helped him. Can't imagine he'll suit the main stage but if you like his records you should enjoy it, he plays live really well.

Drenge - Saw them support Peace at Shepherd's Bush, don't remember much to be honest other than that I enjoyed it (I was quite out of it). Saw them last week at the Scala and thought they were decent enough but that the whole thing was missing something which would've made it great (I know this isn't really helpful haha :P).

Only other bands on the lineup thus far that I've seen are Royal Blood & QOTSA, and my thoughts have pretty much been summed up in the previous posts.

All I'd say is that I really hope they put Royal Blood on the FR instead of low NME, they're just absolutely immense in a small space.

Edited by gweb