Metallica 2014

JamesT977

As a fan of the heavier end of rock and metal im excited for the future of the festival as well, if Metallica play and it goes down without any disasters(which it will do) then hopefully that will encourage eavis to stop overlooking the rock and metal acts so much in future years, Glastonbury will never be a metal festival that's obvious but it would be good to see `rock` music booked a bit more or given maybe even its own little area in future like the dance crowd gets with silverhayes etc. I have to say itd be long overdue, due to paranoia and maybe beliving a bit to much in the stereotyping of the genre and the genres fans the Glastonbury crowd have missed out for years on not only one of the most fun. raw, powerful genres of music around but also some of the most talented musicons around

Well said! Totally agree with this.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fan of the heavier end of rock and metal im excited for the future of the festival as well, if Metallica play and it goes down without any disasters(which it will do) then hopefully that will encourage eavis to stop overlooking the rock and metal acts so much in future years, Glastonbury will never be a metal festival that's obvious but it would be good to see `rock` music booked a bit more or given maybe even its own little area in future like the dance crowd gets with silverhayes etc. I have to say itd be long overdue, due to paranoia and maybe beliving a bit to much in the stereotyping of the genre and the genres fans the Glastonbury crowd have missed out for years on not only one of the most fun. raw, powerful genres of music around but also some of the most talented musicons around

I think half a dozen acts scattered throughout the weekend would be fine but a whole stage/area for three or more days would be overkill. Upwards of 30 acts would be hard to acquire without it quickly becoming repetitive.

I think half a dozen acts scattered throughout the weekend would be fine but a whole stage/area for three or more days would be overkill. Upwards of 30 acts would be hard to acquire without it quickly

becoming repetitive.

Depends what size I think. I don't go to R+L but I imagine something like the festival republic stage has the potential to work at glastonbury. That's predominantly 'rock' isn't it?

but you could say that about dance music as well surly and like dance there are many different genres of 'rock' just an idea anyway itll prob never happen but be good to see even a small rise in those type of acts being booked :)

Perhaps but would a small stage garner enough interest to be considered worthwhile? To say bands grow at such a slow rate in the hard rock/metal world that the same acts from twenty years prior still a large proportion of the major acts. I imagine it come at a much higher price than dance acts due to less personnel involved as well and it's believed that the festival is run on a tight budget now as it is. It's not a completely unreasonable suggestion but I think it'd shortly become shit. I guess I just look forward to seeing a hard rock act amongst the lineup, and would continue to enjoy that more than the leftover scraps from Download/Sonisphere.

Depends what size I think. I don't go to R+L but I imagine something like the festival republic stage has the potential to work at glastonbury. That's predominantly 'rock' isn't it?

No not really. Mostly just new bands. Something like the Lock Up/Rock Stage would be interesting but I don't reckon it'd gather much interest on the whole. Also the addition of a 'Rock Stage' says it all about the direction things are going in the major festivals. I know it's said time and time again but people who want a heavy lineup go to Sonisphere and Download nowadays.

but you could say that about dance music as well surly and like dance there are many different genres of 'rock' just an idea anyway itll prob never happen but be good to see even a small rise in those type of acts being booked :)

Yes but the dance music scene on offer at glastonbury is generally more in keeping with the vibe of the festival....you know, party music, positivity, everyone getting loved up and having a dance. Metal for me is more representative of aggression, shouting, moshing, posturing etc, which is not in keeping with glastonbury at all imo. Just look at the footage of metallica at reading - circle pits and people charging into each other. Not very glastonbury.

I do realise people like this kind of stuff though, but personally I would hate for Glastonbury to take on a more aggressive vibe as a result of a trend towards more rock/metal bookings.

Imagine everyone lining up for a wall of death, Rock Am Ring style, in front of the pyramid!

I've been circling around this for ages now, stil can't really understand it and what's going to happen. It's genuinely the most risky, interesting booking the festival has ever made. It absolutely dwarves the Jay-Z decision. Jay-Z is a massive mainstream pop artist, exactly the sort of thing the organisers would go for, given the opportunity. He's Radio 1 A-List front page of the Daily Mirror, never any doubt that they would snap him up given the chance

Metallica are a totally different kettle of fish for a number of reasons. They're viewed and seen as a niche act (this is 100% not about music sales, it's about media coverage and exposure), they bring a wealth of preconceptions, they have, I think a limited appeal, not neccesarily simply becasue of their music, but also from the way people approach them and think of them. Music is never about simply music, never about the notes and the tunes, it's about the context it operates in, and the cultual resonance of it and most importantly the psychology of the crowd and the listeners. And that's what makes this, more than Jay-Z I think, an unprecedented, hugely radical booking.

This board, as long as I've been here has always had a vocal minority insisting that metal/ heavier bands should be on the bill and they'd be a massive success. This is their year, this is the chance. If it works, if loads of people go along, if the field is full and Metallica rip it up, then they will be vindicated. I have no doubts that Matallica will be up for it and put on a hell of a show. My question is who will be there. Who's going to head to the Pyramid stage on Saturday night? I honestly can't suss out if that field is going to be full or not. I suspect GFL feel the same. This is a big big punt from them. Enoromous. Safe to say there'll be a lot of narvous sphincters in the farmhouse at the moment

Yes but the dance music scene on offer at glastonbury is generally more in keeping with the vibe of the festival....you know, party music, positivity, everyone getting loved up and having a dance. Metal for me is more representative of aggression, shouting, moshing, posturing etc, which is not in keeping with glastonbury at all imo. Just look at the footage of metallica at reading - circle pits and people charging into each other. Not very glastonbury.

I do realise people like this kind of stuff though, but personally I would hate for Glastonbury to take on a more aggressive vibe as a result of a trend towards more rock/metal bookings.

Imagine everyone lining up for a wall of death, Rock Am Ring style, in front of the pyramid!

Jesus, 'not very Glastonbury'. Give me a break.

The only aggression and bad vibes I have ever had / witnessed are in the dance village...Its been a while since I ventured in their mind, but for me that's the one area I avoid at Glastonbury.

The only aggression and bad vibes I have ever had / witnessed are in the dance village...Its been a while since I ventured in their mind, but for me that's the one area I avoid at Glastonbury.

Back in the day there was aggression and bad vibes all over the site, on account of every dodgy fucker in the land infiltrating the place!

Luckily those days are over and it's a safe and happy vibe, including the dance village. Not that dance music is isolated to the dance village, it's all over the place, cos it's popular, good for a party and much loved by large numbers of glastonbury punters.

Not much metal to be heard from stalls, in the late night areas etc. Can't imagine why....

Edited by autoinflate

I don't see how one of the world's biggest bands who seem to have headlined most other major festival in the world are seen as a 'risk', If they are a risk, they're a low one at that

All those other festivals feature metal regularly, and people who like metal go to them.

i was trying to think of an example of another festival pulling a similar move (a metal festival with a dance headliner etc) but Glastonbury is in the unique position of all the tickets being sold out before this 'different' headliner has been announced. Metallica will initially pull a huge crowd (just because they're the Saturday Pyramid headliner and, if Pixies are on Other, they'll be the more go-to act out of the two for a lot of people) but i think it'll definitely thin out as it goes. just how much is another thing, but if the likes of Smashing Pumpkins and (moreso) QOTSA can pull huge crowds (especially as QOTSA were up against a huge pop act, which by the looks of it, Metallica won't be) then surely Metallica will have no trouble sustaining some kind of sizeable crowd

Because of this I think Metallica could get the biggest crowd of the weekend, at least for the start of the set?

That's exactly my point, they might well get the biggest crowd of the weekend. I have no fucking idea. None whatsoever, and I'm pretty sure GFL also are in the dark about it.

I've been circling around this for ages now, stil can't really understand it and what's going to happen. It's genuinely the most risky, interesting booking the festival has ever made. It absolutely dwarves the Jay-Z decision. Jay-Z is a massive mainstream pop artist, exactly the sort of thing the organisers would go for, given the opportunity. He's Radio 1 A-List front page of the Daily Mirror, never any doubt that they would snap him up given the chance

Metallica are a totally different kettle of fish for a number of reasons. They're viewed and seen as a niche act (this is 100% not about music sales, it's about media coverage and exposure), they bring a wealth of preconceptions, they have, I think a limited appeal, not neccesarily simply becasue of their music, but also from the way people approach them and think of them. Music is never about simply music, never about the notes and the tunes, it's about the context it operates in, and the cultual resonance of it and most importantly the psychology of the crowd and the listeners. And that's what makes this, more than Jay-Z I think, an unprecedented, hugely radical booking.

This board, as long as I've been here has always had a vocal minority insisting that metal/ heavier bands should be on the bill and they'd be a massive success. This is their year, this is the chance. If it works, if loads of people go along, if the field is full and Metallica rip it up, then they will be vindicated. I have no doubts that Matallica will be up for it and put on a hell of a show. My question is who will be there. Who's going to head to the Pyramid stage on Saturday night? I honestly can't suss out if that field is going to be full or not. I suspect GFL feel the same. This is a big big punt from them. Enoromous. Safe to say there'll be a lot of narvous sphincters in the farmhouse at the moment

I agree. I guess this is why -assuming Neil's info was correct- they were originally being lined up as other stage, rather than pyramid headliners.