First time headliners

Guest zahidf

Based on the argument in prince, who should Glasto take a punt on to headlining the festival going forwards?

Only rule is that it can't be anymore who has already headlined V, Reading, Hyde Park or any other major stadium venue ( Over 60,000.00 capacity)

Bestival and Lattiude are medium sized festivals, so any of their headliners can count.

I say:

Foals

Dizzee Rascal

Florence and the Machine ( Would be a terrible set, but she is big enough)

Elbow.

The National

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the argument in prince, who should Glasto take a punt on to headlining the festival going forwards?

Only rule is that it can't be anymore who has already headlined V, Reading, Hyde Park or any other major stadium venue ( Over 60,000.00 capacity)

Bestival and Lattiude are medium sized festivals, so any of their headliners can count.

I say:

Foals

Dizzee Rascal

Elbow.

The National

I'd say Dizzee Rascal is on the slide and The National will never be that big to a mainstream audience but yeah, the rest are correct.

There's a host of acts that seem like they'll shortly move up to major UK festival headliner status: I'd add Chase + Status, The Vaccines, The Black Keys. Maybe even the likes of Alt-J, Bastille, Disclosure and The 1975 if they last.

Alt-J (i'm hoping) were just a flash in the pan and won't get nearly the same success with their new album

The Black Keys would need another poppy / hit-ridden album in them to make the step up. from what i've heard of their Reading and Leeds sub slot in 2012, when they strayed away from the new album, people seriously lost interest

reckon The Vaccines will on the list of next years Latitude headliners (in a similar vain to TDCC this year and Foals last - your bog standard British 'indie' headliner)

If dizzie was gunna get to headline status he already would have done so I'd rule him out.

I've always though reading + Leeds will give foals a shot on their next album considering it does well.

And I'd bloody love Hot Chip but can't see it happening even though they deserve it most

Forgot to mention them, oddly. Could they headline Glastonbury? Do they have that wider appeal? I can see Download and Sonisphere coming in after the suspected R+L headline performance but I'm not sure whether they'd come back to Pilton and headline the Pyramid - not that I'm saying they'd sub, they maybe just wouldn't play.

Also, The xx are probably worth mentioning. They'll probably headline Bestival off the next album then maybe they could come back around the circuit and headline Glastonbury.

I say:

Foals

Dizzee Rascal

Elbow.

The National

Forgot to mention them, oddly. Could they headline Glastonbury? Do they have that wider appeal? I can see Download and Sonisphere coming in after the suspected R+L headline performance but I'm not sure whether they'd come back to Pilton and headline the Pyramid - not that I'm saying they'd sub, they maybe just wouldn't play.

Also, The xx are probably worth mentioning. They'll probably headline Bestival off the next album then maybe they could come back around the circuit and headline Glastonbury.

Fair point. I'd say they have a handful of well known commercial hits but maybe not enough to draw a Glastonbury Pyramid crowd. Could definitely see them at Download, Soni, Reading or T though.

I'd like to see The XX take that next step but I'm unsure about the idea of their stripped back set working on such a big stage. Did anyone see them on The Other Stage last year? Any good?