Manics

yehbutnobut

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds to me like they're hinting at SOME kind of Holy Bible celebration, whether it be full album sets (probably unlikely) or just introducing a few more of it's songs into their sets (a bit more likely)

what with Nicky mentioning that they'd like to do it in full at Glastonbury it's obviously something they're thinking about

If it's just a normal set, I'd only see them clash-depending cos seeing them in March. On the other hand if it's a different set......................................

Just trying to cheer you up.

Reckon it'd be too big a gamble to risk missing them. What if they pulled out something they hadn't done on the tour? You'd be kicking yourself.

Wasn't meant to sound arsey earlier, sorry.

I'm not glad I'm back. I hate myself for my lack of self-control. This is harder than quitting smoking! I'm still going to try to come here less and definitely post less. It's not good for me at all :(

Dunno why it got locked. Carlosj got it removed because he thought I was upset but I wasn't really. I can take a joke!

Sweet of him though.

Manics is such a weird one. if they're on the Pyramid doing a greatest hits set (with some new songs) then i really have little to no interest in it, but if they're say... headlining John Peel with a Holy Bible set, i'm there! fingers crossed for the latter (although, all that said, i'd probably still watch them at the Pyramid, for just a little bit)

Manics is such a weird one. if they're on the Pyramid doing a greatest hits set (with some new songs) then i really have little to no interest in it, but if they're say... headlining John Peel with a Holy Bible set, i'm there! fingers crossed for the latter (although, all that said, i'd probably still watch them at the Pyramid, for just a little bit)

I'd imagine it'll be more like Primal Scream and headline (or subbing) The Other Stage because 'The Holy Bible' is hardly a festival friendly album especially for those looking for late 90s/early - mid 00s manics :D

Listening to The Holy Bible now for the first time after buying it for £1 in CeX yesterday, and wow - as someone who's only listened to Forever Delayed plus the last three albums it's quite something. Would definitely try and be there if they were playing it in full.

Listening to The Holy Bible now for the first time after buying it for £1 in CeX yesterday, and wow - as someone who's only listened to Forever Delayed plus the last three albums it's quite something. Would definitely try and be there if they were playing it in full.

I'm jealous of you listening to it for the first time! I rented it from my local library on tape :) I remember just sitting there staring at my tape player unable to believe what I was hearing. Must have been about 14.

I listened to the Holy Bible last week for the 1st time. Wasn't impressed, certainly didn't leave me traumatised. Sounded like the Manic Street Preachers, with heavier guitars than these days. I should go to that other thread and say that I don't get "early Manics"

So you didn't listen to the lyrics then?

So you didn't listen to the lyrics then?

You got me. I never listen to the lyrics the first few times through an album. The music is always much more important for me even once I have heard them. I hear they're very good on that album. I should have mentioned that, as I know that's supposed to be why the album is so good.

The Manics were never ever made to be a niche, cult, difficult band. They only ever make any sense as a mass market phenomenon. They only have any sort of validity if they can be heard in incongrous places, I love the idea of them being played on Radio 2 over people's cornflakes, I love the idea of them getting to number one with a song about how 'if I can shoot rabbits, then i can shoot fascists too'. They need to be on BBC primetime saturday night telly shows, they need to be playing enormo-domes.

Mind, they're a band I love the idea of far more than the reality. I love the fact they exist, I love they're intellectual ambition, I love their articulate passion, I love their interviews, I loe what they do. I'm happy to buy every album they release to support them. Just don't make me listen to those albums more than once.