Manics

yehbutnobut

Fair dos - didn't take note of the venue. However, I must take issue with the words "crap" and "sleepflower" in the same sentence. Sleepflower is a choon and half!

Hahaha, that's how James referred to it once, tongue in cheek, when it got shouted out!

I love it too. :)

The Manics right, they're a funny band. Full of contradictions, occasionally/constantly (delete as you see fit) disappointing, but so unique.

Such a variety of music across their career.

Love em.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm now trawling the setlist websites for more memories. I also went to this at HMV Oxford Street in July 2003. It was to promote Lipstick Traces, hence obscure setlist:

We had to queue from 5:30am to get wristbands for that! And I got my Holy Bible signed, which I'd totally forgotten about until I opened it the other day.

And this is the best time I saw them, at St David's Hall, Cardiff. As much for the intimate venue as the setlist, mind. Fair bit of acoustic in that too.

1. (Acoustic)
  2. (Acoustic)
  3. (Acoustic)
  4. (Acoustic)
  5. (Acoustic)
  6. (Acoustic)
  7. (Acoustic)
  8. Encore:

By Jame's Dean Bradfield 'Sean Moore And Nicky Jone's?

Lol! May well be. It's impossible to decipher any of them.

See that's not that long ago - relatively. Which is why I've always championed 'old' fans that I know to go see them. They rarely listen though. Their loss.

Yeah, yeah... :P

Besides 2005 was bloody ages ago!

Edited by RebeccaD

Their set at Leeds in 2008 was a bit leftfield, as opposed to the usual greatest hits setlists they throw out at most festivals. Of Walking Abortion and a cover of Pennyroyal Tea were thrown in.

Otherwise, agreed that their festival setlists are predictable. But I guess if you're a band with a large back catalogue, playing to a crowd largely comprised of people who are only really familiar with your hits then you can't really expect them to do Nostalgic Pushead or Another Invented Disease!

Seen It!!

Look at this setlist from Leeds Union. 2007 - same tour as Glasto. Considering they'd just released your favourite - Your Love Alone - and Autumnsong. Notice Yes, Born to End, SleepFlower, No Surface, Little Baby Nothing

1. (Acoustic)
  2. (Acoustic)

I was there, my first ever Manics gig. Great performance, great atmosphere and an all round brilliant night. I don't recall them doing From Despair To Where though. :unsure:

Their set at Leeds in 2008 was a bit leftfield, as opposed to the usual greatest hits setlists they throw out at most festivals. Of Walking Abortion and a cover of Pennyroyal Tea were thrown in.

Otherwise, agreed that their festival setlists are predictable. But I guess if you're a band with a large back catalogue, playing to a crowd largely comprised of people who are only really familiar with your hits then you can't really expect them to do Nostalgic Pushead or Another Invented Disease!

Of Walking Abortion! I'd love to see that too.

You know what I'd love? Condemned to Rock 'n' Roll. Underrated.

Of Walking Abortion! I'd love to see that too.

You know what I'd love? Condemned to Rock 'n' Roll. Underrated.

Was a pleasant surprise! Not one they do frequently, in fact, I'm not sure if they've done it since.

Condemned To Rock N' Roll is one of my all time favourite album closers. I always feel that after a brilliant first half Generation Terrorists drops off a bit and then boom! It ends on a high note.

I remember bouncing up and down to it in my "You Love Us We are your Sacrifice" tour T shirt that I got from HMV in about '94. And which will be dragged out again if they do a HB set at Glasto (or anywhere).

I remember the support, Fear Of Music, didn't go down too well with the crowd!

That's got me thinking. Imagine if they get a Pyramid afternoon slot - but do an unadvertised Holy Bible set.

The Pimms crowd all on their blankets: "I quite like that Show Me the Wonder they did last year."

"Oh yes and they did that Postcards song a couple of years ago too."

Out they come and the first line everyone hears is "For sale, dumb c*nts, same dumb questions." With a "He's a boy, you want a girl so tear off his cock. Tie his hair in bunches, fuck him call him Rita if you want." chorus.

Ear defenders onto kids' ears quick as a flash as the field empties quicker than my bowels after a vindaloo.

I'd love it!

I'd love it too, but that's why I think they'll make their intentions clear beforehand. Although... once they're up there...

Now this isn't to say these songs are shit, (although Repeat (Stars and Stripes) is), but just the album would have been seen as an absolute classic debut if it lost:

Crucifix Kiss

Tennessee

So Dead (although this rose in stock for me the other night - better than I remembered)

Repeat (Stars and Stripes)

Repeat (UK)

and Another Invented Disease.

This game is quite hard as the first 5 are obvious, but the 6th one is quite hard to decide on. Another Invented Disease is a good song, but you have to get it down to 12.

Not bad. I really like Repeat though - both versions.

I would cut:

Damn Dog

Tennessee

Another Invented Disease

Spectators of Suicide

But then I'd really struggle. I like it at the length it is though, as said previously.