Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in love with Arcade Fire at the moment, and this Reflektor Tapes film will only enrich my adoration for the band!

People can say what they like about Reflektor but it's phenomenal for me. The production is a masterclass to a music maker and it the ideas are sublime. It's great they never write the same album twice!

I feel that although they have headlined the Pyramid the publicity that they get is not frequent enough to really push into the proper mainstream. I mean for a headliner a little love them a lot, rather that a lot love them a little (The later seem to be the bands who are household names).

I sadly believe that their status is undermined because of this.

Does anyone share this view?

I'm happy with AF being a massive cult band. I don't feel that not getting mainstream recognition all that much undermines them at all, Chris Brown gets mainstream success. A gig with a crowd of die-hards is much better than a crowd of people want The Hit. My friend had never heard a note of them before their Pyramid show last year, she had a bit of shit time with the crowd, but was really taken with the band, she said she hopes they get more success. I pointed out that they have three out of four albums gone to number one and have headlined all of the world's biggest festivals, they're as big as they're going to be. She said she hopes they get successful in terms of "being played of Radio 1 and stuff". Radio 1 is not the be all and end all of success, it's a big channel for a certain audience, but you can easily be massive without that audience, as Arcade Fire have proved.

Anyway, there's a new song in the film. Awooga.

Arcade Fire's level of success is just perfect - able to sell out huge venues and headline festivals yet go right over the heads of tons of people. i loved some peoples reactions last year when they asked who was headlining Glastonbury and i started off with 'well, Arcade Fire...'. i can't see them ever becoming a household name, and that's just fine with me. probably the world's biggest cult band

World's biggest cult band is a brilliant description. I am always surprised when people haven't heard of them though. I know the first two albums weren't huge, but they had such a massive "indie buzz" about them. Then cue Suburbs which got decent Radio1 play, headline tours/festivals and Grammy awards. A lot of promotion. I know Reflector wasn't as big in terms of mainstream exposure, but things like the Andrew Garfield video and all those guests and covers on their tour got them a decent amount of exposure.

I am happy with all that, as long as the band are. I guess they must be or they would be signing more deals for their music to be on car adverts and (even more) film sound tracks I guess. 

• 1 month later...

No, there are a few dates. I was going to watch it at Home (cornerhouse) in manchester, but I am booked to see it in Bury instead.

Are all of the dates listed on the website? All I could find were showings on the 24th. Annoyingly it clashes with an Unknown Mortal Orchestra gig, but live music will always come first! I'd like to see it another time if I could though.

Thursday in Sc**thorpe for me. Can see there being a total of about 5 people there; all of them being people from college who I know like Arcade Fire.

Actually they've all gone to uni. There'll be no one there. Same with all music films here. There were about 10 people for Celebration Day, and 3 people besides me and my friend for Straight Outta Compton. Muse Live in Rome was half full though lol.

No, there are a few dates. I was going to watch it at Home (cornerhouse) in manchester, but I am booked to see it in Bury instead.

Just noticed that Home (fucking stupid name for a cinema) are showing it on the Monday. TBH I'd rather see it at Home than The Odeon, because Home is way nicer.