Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Must have done this a million times but for me it's pretty much

Alligator=High Violet (with HV often coming out on top) > Boxer > TWFM

But I love TWFM

I agree with this. Congratulations. The National are my second favourite band but none of their albums are amongst my very favourites, individually, which is a bit odd. They all just blend into one lovely collection of melancholy.

Nick Cave is alright.

Arcade Fire. It’s a bit arbitrary ranking them, but they’re the only two bands I consistently love and can turn to in any mood. Radiohead are up there but I like my music emotional and they lose me sometimes in that sense. Then it’s just lots of albums I love, rather than bands. Mainly due to laziness and not actually properly going through artists’ back-catalogues.

Anyway, Nick Cave...I’ve just listened to Let Love In. It’s the only album of is that I have, and I’ve quite enjoyed it a few times without ever really feeling any desire to go back to it. I think it’s because of the overly ‘dark’ sense of doom which just comes off as a bit contrived and forced, to me. But this only really applies to about half of it, which, by no coincidence, are also the songs in which he most puts on the silly affected vocals. I really, really like the second half of it, and I much prefer when he sounds a bit more earnest. Nobody’s Baby Now, I Let Love In, Ain’t Gonna Rain Anymore, Lay Me Low, and Do You Love Me? (Part 2) are all lovely.

And that film looked really interesting.

Nick Cave and lurve don't mix in our house. Mrs CJ makes a diplomatic comment like 'What's this sh1t you're listening to?' on most of my stuff 24/7. Are headphones a no-go area on conjugals, a kind of alternative silent disco?

So she has got some taste then?

Let Love In is awesome but it's not vastly representative. Try some later works: The Boatman's Call, No More Shall We Part and the new album would probably have elements you'd like, I reckon.

Went for Push The Sky Away. It’s brilliant, so thanks. Let Love In might even have higher peaks, but I’ve only listened to the new one once, and I reckon it’ll grow on me even more (which it can, as I’ll be able to listen to it without feeling the urge to stop on half of the songs). I really like the quite simplistic, repetitive arrangements, they build beautifully and it has a much stronger emotional resonance overall, I think.

Went for Push The Sky Away. Its brilliant, so thanks. Let Love In might even have higher peaks, but Ive only listened to the new one once, and I reckon itll grow on me even more (which it can, as Ill be able to listen to it without feeling the urge to stop on half of the songs). I really like the quite simplistic, repetitive arrangements, they build beautifully and it has a much stronger emotional resonance overall, I think.

Awesome news :) His back catalogue is huge and very diverse, so it's well worth a bit of an explore.

Noone's forcing you to read this and yet you insist on regularly doing so.

Reckon you're a closet caveosexual.

Nah, I look at it like I might look at strange deep sea fish in an aquarium.

Jeffie's turning. I can feel it, into a full on Caveite.

Meanwhile, this aquarium gig, will Nick be in the gift shop afterwards, signing? Superscally, can you ask if Nick has ever played in a deep sea trench. Must be a new one on him.