Rightfield

Guest bigfurbdogg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The salary/income that the Eavii derive from the festival is peanuts compared to the money that gets donated to good causes - mainly WaterAid, Oxfam and Greenpeace - from memory around £3 million last time. The local community has also benefited in many ways, both in terms of local facilities and also the influx of tourism and visitors to the area.

can anyone tell me in which ways the right wing tried to shut down glastonbury? i'm not doubting it for one second, it's just not something that's come up much in my reading round of the festival's history.

Edited by mrtourette

1. the bigger artists don't have much choice but to dwell on it, given that they're being offered much less money than they'd otherwise be getting. They have to think about why that is, and whether they still feel it's worth doing for that lesser amount than they could get elsewhere.

Most don't get on TV. Most don't get a massive sales surge. The best most get out of it - along with helping good causes - is being able to say "I played Glastonbury".

2. the festival has got to this position because of its social conscience and not in spite of it.

Glastonbury is far from perfect, but it's a lot more perfect than what else is on offer of the same scale. Those other festivals cannot achieve the same despite having bottomless pits of money to offer - bribe - people to their fully-commercial free-market profit-taking (right wing) methods of operation.

As I said many pages back which is without doubt true... if nothing else, the right-wingers cannot throw anything like the best party. It's not like they haven't tried and are not still trying.

Oh I think kudos value is fairly powerful.

whether it is or isn't, Glasto's rep is something it's gained as a result of its social conscience and is something it's very unlikely to have got if it was a free-market profit-taking commercial enterprise (as proven by the lesser reps of the commercial enterprises).

As I keep pointing out, the parties thrown on a right wing basis are simply not as good.

whether it is or isn't, Glasto's rep is something it's gained as a result of its social conscience and is something it's very unlikely to have got if it was a free-market profit-taking commercial enterprise (as proven by the lesser reps of the commercial enterprises).

As I keep pointing out, the parties thrown on a right wing basis are simply not as good.

(even though the assertion that this is purely down to left wing v right wing is unrealistically binary)

So show me a purely commercial-run festival which gets anywhere close. :lol:

The transition into the real world is where the lefty nonsense falls down.

Yeah, how right you are. Let's all vote UKIP because the greatest problem facing this country today is the EU and not the free-market which fucked-up the economy and doubled the national debt. And all of us want our employment rights abolished too.

I'll look forwards to hearing you tell me all about the raving right wing ideas that don't fall down just as much or even more but which don't get subjected to the same brain-dead analysis. :lol:

So show me a purely commercial-run festival which gets anywhere close. :lol:

Yeah, how right you are. Let's all vote UKIP because the greatest problem facing this country today is the EU and not the free-market which fucked-up the economy and doubled the national debt. And all of us want our employment rights abolished too.

I'll look forwards to hearing you tell me all about the raving right wing ideas that don't fall down just as much or even more but which don't get subjected to the same brain-dead analysis. :lol:

Or we could simply ask the former Soviet controlled Eastern European states which they prefer.

To be in a Communist (left wing) state, or to be in a Free Market (and by your definition "right wing" state.

After all they have had the experience of living under one. You haven't.