Best Song You've Ever Heard At Glastonbury

Guest Wooderson

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely Stevie Wonder, but I can't decide between Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing, Sir Duke & Superstitious.

Think I'll have to go Sir Duke. I danced my fucking ass off to that and everyone in eye-shot was doing the same. Loved every split second of it.

Another plus 1 here for Ray Davies in 2010 singing Days beating off competition from:

Jay-Z - Wonderwall/99Problems

Blur - The Universal

U2 - Stay

BAD - E=MC2

Lupe Fiasco - Go Go Gadget Flow (I bet no one else mentions this one)

i'm blaming my cold for my streaming eyes.

i guess i have to vote blur 'tender' cos i''m unlikely to ever be part of something as big as that again. you could feel the pixie magic building and everyone going "is this just the drink/drugs or is this about to be the best thing ever".

Edited by TheParkAfterDark

Neil Young, Rockin in the free world, even my mate who isn't a fan said it was fantastic. Closely followed by Scooby Snacks by FLC, and We Come One by Faithless

Some real greats mentioned, wish I'd seen as many as Wooderson!

For myself it has to be It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) from R.E.M in '99. Throughout the whole set the crowd had been singing it between songs, begging for it, when it came it did so with such jubilation that I'll never forget being part of that golden throng.

..as for blur vs the prodigy, I made the decision to watch the prodigy and I was not disappointed in the slightest, I'd spent literally the whole run up to the festival agonising over the decision and only made my mind up on the afternoon. I still get goose pimples every time the synth kicks in on invaders must die..

,blimey, its near impossible to choose just one! i feel incredibly lucky that ive been in the audience for many of the acts mentioned - blur, bowie, young, davies, macca, cohen, - over the years, but for me, hands down, it was.......

Pulp, 2011, park stage... Something changed.

but if i had to pick a 2nd then it would be the most wonderful but now sadly deceased Arthur Lee with Love singing `Your mind and we belong together`

I'm afraid it's another vote for Blur's Tender from me.

---------------

Runners up:

Coldplay - Shiver, 2011 - A song they hadn't played as a full band in years from a set that drew so heavily from Parachutes that it felt like a real treat.

Bruce Springsteen - Badlands, 2009 - The segue from his solo acoustic Joe Strummer cover into those immense chords was heartstopping.

TV On The Radio - Young Liars, 2011 - Few songs are more exciting and atmospheric.

The Bees - Binnel Bay, 2007 - Acoustic in the Guardian tent. Just gorgeous.

Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke, 2010 - One of the best songs ever written, though as the only song played from Songs In The Key Of Life, it was even more cherished.

This is truly the impossible task but I'll plump for "Bad Moon Rising" by John Fogerty in 2007 and I'll change my mind in 5 minutes!

Edit: forgot to put the reason. I think it's the happiest I've ever been when soaked to the skin and stuck knee high in mud. What's more Glastonbury than that?

Maybe I should've gone for "Rockin' All Over The World" from the same gig?

Edited by jimmyt

Just a thought. Would it be a more interesting poll to ask which song you wish you'd seen, rather than saw seeing as we kind of know what lots of people will vote for from the thread anyway? Maybe you could do both by way of comparison.

What impossible choices.

Possibly top would be anything from the Ray Davies Choral kinks - Days (another vote) or Lola.

Others would include:

Brian Wilson, God Only Knows

Joan Baez, There But For Fortune in the Acoustic

Also The Who's set and particularly See Me, Feel Me.

Aaaahhhhh, no song brings me back to a place like Elbow one day like this I could quite easily be there everytime I hear it, Blur Tender is popular for a reason makes the hairs stand up whenever I hear that song but a second vote must go to Pulp Something Changed Park Stage 2011 highlight of my festival best crowd and stand out song