There in body but not in mind

Guest JoeyT

Just popped U2's set on youtube and it's suddenly dawned on me that although I know for a fact I was there I can't for the life of me remember it!

I also can't remember watching the vaccines in 2011 and even after having watched some of the set on youtube it wasn't until I got angry at a friend because I thought we'd missed them that he told me we were actually there.

Obviously this is due to drinking all day and too many 'special' cigarettes but it got me wondering, am I alone in this?

So...

Has anyone else been watched a band/artist at the festival but been in such a state that they can't remember being there?

There's a couple. I've had to vow to stop taking certain things after drinking because it just leads to me losing entire nights when I do. I'll know I've had the time of my life but be left with a slideshow of memories when I try to recall it.

Edited by Messy

Me and me pal always believed we were at the Jazz World for Toots and the Maytals the one year, I even told people I saw them, then we actually realised we were watching / waiting for Faithless at the Pyramid. Still now whenever I hear Toots I always think Ahh they were ace at Glasto, then remember I again!! Madness of the Glastonbury mind

My main one is the Friday night of 2010 at the Hub, from checking online I know it was

BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix with Annie Mac
Dead Silence Syndicate
Toddla T feat Serocee
Rusko
The Hub Wall Spectacular
Chase and Status plus guests
The Hub Wall Spectacular
Annie Mac featuring really special guests

there are photo's of me being there but I can't for the life of me remember any of it

The Chemical Brothers in 2007. It started, and I remember the massive clown saying "Get yourself high", .........and then everyone was turning away saying what an amazing set it had been, and I was baffled - As far as I was concerned we had only just got there! I apparently looked normal to everyone around me, but was completely absent, switched off, to all intents and purposes - out for the count!

I lost my Friday night to this after Primal Scream, last thing I remember was singing along to the Hare Krishna chants and then the first thing I remember on the Saturday was strolling back to my tent at 9am, I was my own this whole time so am still worried to this day what I may have done.

Quite the reverse,I was talking with a friend about where you were when Micheal Jackson died,I said I was at Glastonbury and I can remember It going round the festival and being in shock about this and out breaks of his songs all round the site etc,when I got home I was checking how many times I have been and that wasn't one of them.It really fucked with my head for a while,the memories were so vivid.

I have no idea where I really was,I'm still not convinced. :superstition:

This might sound sad or nerdy but we mark on the programme the bands we have seen and even score them out of 10 using the criteria 'for what they were, how good were they?' On that basis a young solo folkie could be an eight while a stadium rock band might only score a seven.

It's a great subject to argue out with the rest of the gang and when we get home we've got a reminder of who we saw and how we rated them.

I don't remember any of Morrissey or U2's set, but according to a friend who was with me, he was saying that I kept on calling out for Bono as if he would stop playing and say hello to me personally. Apparently I was also shouting calling Bono's name to the soundmen before U2 even came on as well.

Can anyone clear up a U2 question for me? Me and my mate SWEAR they played Ultraviolet Light (Light My Way) - it's his favourite song too. It's not on the set that the BBC played and not on setlist.fm, though this mimics the BBC set, which I know was incomplete. Did they play it??? I also don't remember it raining - only found out about it when I read a Guardian review and watched a re-run! :D

My main one is the Friday night of 2010 at the Hub, from checking online I know it was

BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix with Annie Mac

Dead Silence Syndicate

Toddla T feat Serocee

Rusko

The Hub Wall Spectacular

Chase and Status plus guests

The Hub Wall Spectacular

Annie Mac featuring really special guests

there are photo's of me being there but I can't for the life of me remember any of it

I remember NOTHING of 2005. I was there for all five days, have the programme, ticket, the white "make poverty history" wristband (that all worked out fine then), and pictures of me looning about at White Stripes, Rilo Kiley (!), Chas n' Dave and possibly Soulwax (stage looks empty, I could well have just been dancing to my own secret rhythm).

I remember a bit of the drive there, and a bit of the fields filling up on the Wednesday morning, but if it wasn't for the mementos, friends telling me about it and a nagging sense of something happening that was extremely surreal, it might never have happened.