The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

After securing tickets this morning, we can start planning our trip.

First on the agenda, a new tent! 

So recommendations please for a 4-man black out tent. 

Will only be used once per year for a the festival. 

What should we go for? 

Do you want one big sleeping area or two double rooms?

12 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

Just been looking at all of the Quechua fresh and black tents.  There are loads of different models.  Any recommendations on specific models?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-tent-air-seconds-4-1-fandb-4-person-1-bedroom/_/R-p-302837

We have this one, for family of four (2small kids) its perfect for a  festival/weekend. 

Properly dark and well vented in case it gets hot. Even the kids sleep in!

Definitely worth the money

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adam75 said:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-tent-air-seconds-4-1-fandb-4-person-1-bedroom/_/R-p-302837

We have this one, for family of four (2small kids) its perfect for a  festival/weekend. 

Properly dark and well vented in case it gets hot. Even the kids sleep in!

Definitely worth the money

It's not a F&B one?

19 hours ago, nikkic said:

After securing tickets this morning, we can start planning our trip.

First on the agenda, a new tent! 

So recommendations please for a 4-man black out tent. 

Will only be used once per year for a the festival. 

What should we go for? 

4 man as in you want to fit 4 people in it, or 4 man as in you want that much space but it will likely just be 2 of you in it?

1 hour ago, gfa said:

4 man as in you want to fit 4 people in it, or 4 man as in you want that much space but it will likely just be 2 of you in it?

Just my wife and I, with ample room so as not feel like a sardine! 

1 hour ago, dicko_belfast said:

Was looking at the same tent as above but the non inflatable one with poles - the 4.1 f&b £199 I think it is

We have the non-F&B, non-inflatable 4.1 and it's huge and heavy. How many are you planning on sleeping in it? It's probably overkill for 2 or less.

Edited by Johnnyseven

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Just my wife and I, with ample room so as not feel like a sardine! 

Only the 3 man but I love this tent, easily big enough for me and my wife with double air bed and the bags small porch for wellies (not that we will need it again!) and so so easy up and down. Just mark it with something so you recognise it as there are so many at the festival nowadays 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-2-seconds-xl-3-person-fresh-and-black/_/R-p-172537

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

We have the non-F&B, non-inflatable 4.1 and it's huge and heavy. How many are you planning on sleeping in it? It's probably overkill for 2 or less.

Thanks - that's good to know, it's just for me but I had thought about re-using it after with the family, I'm also bringing it over on the flight so something smaller and lighter probably makes more sense. Maybe a pop up lighter one. 

Still after a light double airbed if anyone has a suggestion, am very wary of self inflating as just can’t see how it would be think enough and happy to pump it up but my one is so heavy and it takes up half my bag. Needs to be a double I don’t want to buy 2 and attach them 

5 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Still after a light double airbed if anyone has a suggestion, am very wary of self inflating as just can’t see how it would be think enough and happy to pump it up but my one is so heavy and it takes up half my bag. Needs to be a double I don’t want to buy 2 and attach them 

Delighted with this. Only a single tho. Dunno why youd want a double?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N4KK854/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

But these doubles look good

image.thumb.png.1dfc0e1618068843fac0ff763d6eb515.png

Edited by The Nal

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Delighted with this. Only a single tho. Dunno why youd want a double?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N4KK854/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

But these doubles look good

image.thumb.png.1dfc0e1618068843fac0ff763d6eb515.png

Looks good - was going to go for the decathlon self inflating mattress at same price but this looks thicker and lighter I think. It says can inflate by blowing it up by mouth but do you actually need a pump? 

1 minute ago, dicko_belfast said:

Looks good - was going to go for the decathlon self inflating mattress at same price but this looks thicker and lighter I think. It says can inflate by blowing it up by mouth but do you actually need a pump? 

I use a little pump yeah. Great for topping up.

image.thumb.png.bd539fc0b9b0413410f351af697a8d59.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dicko_belfast said:

Thanks - that's good to know, it's just for me but I had thought about re-using it after with the family, I'm also bringing it over on the flight so something smaller and lighter probably makes more sense. Maybe a pop up lighter one. 

Go for this one then - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-mh100-xl-3-p-freshandblack/_/R-p-331796 - I have one of these too and use it for Glasto. They do a more expensive pop up version as well but this one is really easy to put up. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Masterluke3 said:

Any recommended sleeping mats/ blowup mattresses for a larger body type that don't break the bank?

No personal experience, but I've been eyeing this one:

https://www.trail.co.uk/deluxe-self-inflating-air-mattress+size-single?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwrIixBhBbEiwACEqDJU0F9Df3Z8Lz7-oQB6jv6CoJOq5Ko48bFbovNxK4cDmLNK2Y8k26khoCTewQAvD_BwE

Lots of good reviews on Amazon (here), but it's £10 more expensive.