The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On 4/17/2024 at 8:32 PM, dotdash79 said:

I’ve been and got one today 

they are very good quality, well worth the money, especially if they keep things as cold as they say they do. 
I also like the little cup holders , perfect little camping table and sturdy enough to use as a seat too 

2 minutes ago, Traci said:

I’ve been and got one today 

they are very good quality, well worth the money, especially if they keep things as cold as they say they do. 
I also like the little cup holders , perfect little camping table and sturdy enough to use as a seat too 

We use it as a seat and it’s fine, so long that you prep before hand it will stay cool for quite a few days. 

Been going in a van since 2017 - hire it, I have zero experience otherwise. Last year I was struggling with Mrs BP to fill the water from my whopping big aqua roller into the chest high input in the van using the provided funnel. A neighbour let me use a siphon pump that he had made himself which was an absolute game changer for my back. I’ve been looking to see if there are commercial ones available and obviously there are loads! Anyone have any experience/tips before I rely too heavily on Amazon reviews?

Edited by Blisterpack

3 hours ago, Blisterpack said:

Been going in a van since 2017 - hire it, I have zero experience otherwise. Last year I was struggling with Mrs BP to fill the water from my whopping big aqua roller into the chest high input in the van using the provided funnel. A neighbour let me use a siphon pump that he had made himself which was an absolute game changer for my back. I’ve been looking to see if there are commercial ones available and obviously there are loads! Anyone have any experience/tips before I rely too heavily on Amazon reviews?

As an alternative suggestion, you could possibly think about buying an electric drill drive pump eg. like below;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374760288099?chn=ps&_ul=GB&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1-MctOgleRmiB4Z1B47bYpg25&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=374760288099&targetid=1647205089240&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006562&poi=&campaignid=17206177401&mkgroupid=136851690655&rlsatarget=aud-1641271186540:pla-1647205089240&abcId=9300866&merchantid=586278570&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwrIixBhBbEiwACEqDJUq6BIdHJ3O_Plrb5UeGhDoQXi0-c9Nqb2sfYFSG8dxpOWRk6x-h2RoCTFQQAvD_BwE

You would need to bring the pump, a cordless drill and 2 lengths of hosepipe. I only mention it because I suspect it would be a quicker operation that siphoning.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

1644862092084-gif.567290

Make sure you save the mint for afterwards.

27 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

1644862092084-gif.567290

Make sure you save the mint for afterwards.

Reminds me of the time that I got a mouthful of horrible water from the defrosting tray of a defrosted freezer, using the siphoning method. 

I'm actually toying with the idea of buying one of these myself

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374760288099?chn=ps&_ul=GB&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1-MctOgleRmiB4Z1B47bYpg25&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=374760288099&targetid=1647205089240&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006562&poi=&campaignid=17206177401&mkgroupid=136851690655&rlsatarget=aud-1641271186540:pla-1647205089240&abcId=9300866&merchantid=586278570&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwrIixBhBbEiwACEqDJUq6BIdHJ3O_Plrb5UeGhDoQXi0-c9Nqb2sfYFSG8dxpOWRk6x-h2RoCTFQQAvD_BwE

There's some overgrown waste ground at the rear of my garden where I might set up an irrigation system to grow a certain type of plant. I grew 7 plants there a couple of years ago and got a fine haul from them. Now somebody has given me 20 seeds to grow. If I set up the system then it would mean less trips into the almost jungle that is the unused land. 

7 hours ago, Blisterpack said:

I think normally with a rented caravan the barrel just sits upright on the floor with a hose hanging in it?  Sounds a lot less hassle

On 4/19/2024 at 8:50 AM, Blisterpack said:

I don’t know if you were our neighbours last year but my friend Jules lent his to a couple last year who seemed very grateful 😀. This is very similar to to what he had: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connected-Detachable-Motorhome-12V-Outlet/dp/B0B9SL6YVP/ref=sr_1_31?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.fONKcSy3Huj_vH9Wc6NQN3-uGljxEKFoI5aYoE-nlJWpuKu0tk_P4QPbXpl3l1vIWWt0x9d7Nz0DmJQfVHPM1VAUWrUvsAXklznHOSlS8mzSvYyL_pNzuGwTXVUmlvwk4SVJeIULUE3YNHOV9Ej3gK49pifJwVR3PokTgYOPYwi6lyWJDAIqo0iq84rV1eo__BYi_WZHBd5vQCTCcFP_EkeJaFzRZSJrGT3xIbuOex6PZsvBxC0GL7wG1By9_SrKV_rsoNLkXKh2ilMrzne5XQO8UQz1PMOupSMHA01Iiyg.f4ZisQhgVwCbszID1O3dMzVElMlNwCRgJp5jlS_4PFo&dib_tag=se&keywords=12v%2Bwater%2Bpump%2Bcampervan&qid=1713168822&sr=8-31&th=1&tag=efestivals-21

On 4/19/2024 at 3:56 PM, clarkete said:

I think normally with a rented caravan the barrel just sits upright on the floor with a hose hanging in it?  Sounds a lot less hassle

That’s true for the caravans but my experience with motorhomes has sadly always been that you have to find a way to empty the aqua roller into the tank 

After securing tickets this morning, we can start planning our trip.

First on the agenda, a new tent! 

So recommendations please for a 4-man black out tent. 

Will only be used once per year for a the festival. 

What should we go for? 

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What should we go for? 

What's your budget? Halfords have one at £135, or you can go full Quecha F&B Air for about £400

3 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

What's your budget? Halfords have one at £135, or you can go full Quecha F&B Air for about £400

Given how often we’ll use it, it’ll be the former of those. 

Thanks will have a look. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Given how often we’ll use it, it’ll be the former of those. 

Thanks will have a look. 

It's the Halfords 4 person tunnel tent. It's not strictly a blackout tent, but the inner bedroom is black and it is considerably cheaper than the proper Quecha ones

33 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What should we go for? 

Have a look at the Decathlon Arpenez 4.1.  That’s what I’ve just ordered - 4 man  with blackout bedroom and big porch. Saw it in store a while ago - seems ideal and not bad at £199.

It was time to upgrade our old tent that was not blackout and not waterproof any more. Served us well for many festivals though.

48 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What should we go for? 

I have this.  Best tent I've ever had.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-tent-air-seconds-4-1-fandb-4-person-1-bedroom/_/R-p-302837?mc=8648382&c=sand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

What should we go for? 

Basically - the only tents worth talking about are the F&B range from Decathlon. They come in different sizes and types so take a look at their website to figure out what best suits you. Or better yet pop down your nearest store (ideally one of the big retail park ones rather than a town centre one or an ASDA concession) as they should have a few on display by now.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

What should we go for? 

I have this one and can recommend for 1 (or 2 people with limited kit) - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-mh100-xl-3-p-freshandblack/_/R-p-331796

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

What should we go for? 

If you’ve a go outdoors close by pay them a visit. Ours have a large camping area with tents set up. Good to assess space, weight, black out and ease to set up.