Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

He was tweeting pictures of himself at his yurt, so he wasn't making that bit up either. My guess is that he wasn't ever wandering about the site like a regular punter, though.

aye there's no doubt he was there. Good on him. He's gone massively up in my estimations after this gig. (I'm sure he'll be thrilled like...). He didnt put a foot wrong did he.

The only downside of it all is that he chose to watch the bloody arctic monkeys over portishead, the tit

aye there's no doubt he was there. Good on him. He's gone massively up in my estimations after this gig. (I'm sure he'll be thrilled like...). He didnt put a foot wrong did he.

The only downside of it all is that he chose to watch the bloody arctic monkeys over portishead, the tit

yeah, he came across as showing an interest in the festival...I was disappointed with Bono who talked and talked about it, wrote a song for the festival, never played it, and never even seeemd to be around the festival for a collaboration with Hothouse Flowers or BB King, etc...at least Bruce seemed a bit genuinely interested in 09 (alhtough it could be said that his Gaslight and Brian Fallow collaboration was just a rehearsal for the next night's dvd filming)

and The Edge...he was there in 2010 and said he caught Gorillaz and Broken Bells, which had me thinking "hang on...i wanted to catch both of those, but wasn't that a clash?"...i mean....perhaps he split the sets or thougth he was going to see both of them, but he surely didn't see both sets in full

yeah, he came across as showing an interest in the festival...I was disappointed with Bono who talked and talked about it, wrote a song for the festival, never played it, and never even seeemd to be around the festival for a collaboration with Hothouse Flowers or BB King, etc...at least Bruce seemed a bit genuinely interested in 09 (alhtough it could be said that his Gaslight and Brian Fallow collaboration was just a rehearsal for the next night's dvd filming)

and The Edge...he was there in 2010 and said he caught Gorillaz and Broken Bells, which had me thinking "hang on...i wanted to catch both of those, but wasn't that a clash?"...i mean....perhaps he split the sets or thougth he was going to see both of them, but he surely didn't see both sets in full

yeh those lot you mention are clearly just bullshitters. Jagger I think was genuinely up for it.

Perhaps though that's a reflection of how far the festival has fallen, and how sanitised and posh-centric it is now. That someone like mick jagger would enjoy the place.

Jaggers other half wrote in a tweet she was already planning next year so they must have enjoyed it

Think next year if Mick did come he could roam the site on a low key basis. Very hard to do that this year for him

I saw Chris Martin walking around and queuing for stuff on Saturday morning/afternoon. A few people clocked him but no one said boo to him. That sort of place. Jagger could've been doing a Jagger dance outside the jerk chicken stand and I dount anyone would've bugged him.

Jagger's views on festivals probably changed back in 1969 when he arrived at Altamont and got floored by a punch in the face from a Hell's Angel.

Prior to that, Stanley Booth writes about him and Keith wandering around the night before drinking wine with all the hippies .

Gimme Shelter has them in SF the night before, no? Choppered in mid-afternoon to the raceway itself.

Gimme Shelter has them in SF the night before, no? Choppered in mid-afternoon to the raceway itself.

In True Adventures Mick & Keith drive up to the site the night before to check out the arrangements and spend a while wandering about the place and pressing the flesh. It's a while since I've read it, but Booth sets a great scene - 'He's A Rebel' by The Crystals on the stereo and then that great quote from Keith - 'The first act of violence'.

Then, from memory, Keith opts to stay put at the racetrack whilst Mick heads back to the hotel and then comes back the next day in the helicopter.

In True Adventures Mick & Keith drive up to the site the night before to check out the arrangements and spend a while wandering about the place and pressing the flesh. It's a while since I've read it, but Booth sets a great scene - 'He's A Rebel' by The Crystals on the stereo and then that great quote from Keith - 'The first act of violence'.

Then, from memory, Keith opts to stay put at the racetrack whilst Mick heads back to the hotel and then comes back the next day in the helicopter.

Yeah thats my take on it too. Keith stayed and got wrecked but Mick left and came back the next day. In a chopper with Watts and Garcia.

Edit: Actually looking at the clip Mick says he was there the night before.

Edited by The Nal

Jimi's suddenly right handed..? and Keith's left handed..

I do wonder sometimes what Altamont must have been like for the punters. The chaos during Jefferson Airplane's set, the fighting while The Burritos are on... the, what must have been, hopelessly inadequate pa system, a stage that seemed to be about 2 feet high... did anyone hear or see anything if they were more than 30 yards back?

Don't think so. Doubt they saw anything. The stage was 3 foot high!? 300,000 people! :lol:

No wonder they were beating the piss out of each other. Must've been so bored.

Edited by The Nal

I saw Chris Martin walking around and queuing for stuff on Saturday morning/afternoon. A few people clocked him but no one said boo to him. That sort of place. Jagger could've been doing a Jagger dance outside the jerk chicken stand and I dount anyone would've bugged him.

I would would have bugged him, as I would have assumed it was The Nal from EFests and would have wanted to go up and introduce myself...

Jimi's suddenly right handed..? and Keith's left handed..

I do wonder sometimes what Altamont must have been like for the punters. The chaos during Jefferson Airplane's set, the fighting while The Burritos are on... the, what must have been, hopelessly inadequate pa system, a stage that seemed to be about 2 feet high... did anyone hear or see anything if they were more than 30 yards back?

surely people werent goint to these gigs to studiously watch the music?

for most it was to mix with like minded, take drugs and try and get off with a saucy hippy chick in a short skirt.

I doubt any one gave a shiney shite about the poor sound.

Apart from the massive nerds in the crowd, who are more interested in the technical performance, than the atmosphere and sense of occasion. Now where have I heard that before.........

russy.. russy.. russy

that's absolute shit. I know you're referring to me, but when I was 14, I was barely aware of what was a good sound and a shit sound. Maybe you only went to concerts for a bit of skirt, but there's poor sound, and there's next-to-no-sound. Hyde Park wasn't a great big drug taking orgy, it was a day out, with amazing bands and a pretty good sound (as far as I remember!!).

Altamont must have been close to hell on earth.. loads of fighting, most punters probably barely knew where the stage was.

You would have probably preferred it.. you know, a bit more 'edgy' like

Yeh I know, I was only pulling your plonker.

I think the crowds from these old gigs always look bored when the camera pans over them. I know someone who was at the isle of wight festival in 1970, he said it was largely shit

Yeh I know, I was only pulling your plonker.

I think the crowds from these old gigs always look bored when the camera pans over them. I know someone who was at the isle of wight festival in 1970, he said it was largely shit

Tony you mean? He was there. He wasn't bored though. He was the one who started ripping the fence down and booing Kris Kristofferson.

He was tweeting pictures of himself at his yurt, so he wasn't making that bit up either. My guess is that he wasn't ever wandering about the site like a regular punter, though.

There was a picture of him in Shangri-la taken by some punter. Fair play, he got stuck in did Mick. I'll see if I can find it....