Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Neil is defo in there. And yeah, weakest Bruce show I've ever seen touring his worst album in living memory. Awful awful album. If he knocked this setlist out at any of his own shows people would be pissed off.

Take out Seeds/Johnny99/Joad/RaiseYourHand and drop in Rosie/Racing/Jungleland - all played the very next night in London - and you transform that show. Also, 10th Ave instead of execrable American Land.

Honestly that was a real turkey of a gig from Springsteen. Plucked, stuffed and ready for the oven.

Edited by Wooderson

Know you weren't there but Neil Young was at that standards aswell.

aye, thanks for the reminder.......

I suspect had I seen him he would have slotted in between the stones and stevie wonder.

But I'll never know for sure, gahhhh

Also the Who need to go on that list too, but I didnt see them either. From what I understand they'd be towards the bottom of the list, the weather fucked them

Another victim of the weather, yep. Loved parts of the 'Orrible 'Oooh at Glasters though. "Who Are You" for example was particularly resonant in the rain.

All the stuff from Tommy at the end however - whilst ace - lost a good bit of the crowd IMO.

Down By The River is a good song. Cortez is a dirge. And he didn't have Crazy Horse... and I know this is sacrilege, but they seem to reduce the best of Neil's songs to a simple plod

imo

You have a point. Crazy Horse are Neils purpose built flunkies in a way. Gives him the freedom to do what he wants. Neil calls the shots for all those guys.

They're not the greatest musicians in the world but thats what he wants. It makes them play beyond their ability, more energy.

Disagree about Cortez though.

Hah - you'd have hated this summer's Crazy Horse shows. Walk Like A Giant might now be my favourite Neil song.

I watched the Springsteen Hyde Park DVD at the weekend, and to be honest the band were playing much better this summer than they were 4 years back. Maybe the added horn section made a difference, but The Employer himself also seemed in far sprightlier form this time around.

Though, that said, for all the E Street Band's generally fantastic qualities they made a few howlers at the gigs I saw this summer. I've never seen the Stones have to stop and restart a song the way they did with My City of Ruins at Hampden.

It's like people who think Tom Waits would be great there... I doubt it very much. Most people there would barely know one song by him

Not if he played the West Holts. People may not know most of his tunes but they'd be more open minded round there. He'd bomb on the Pyramid. Way too big a stage for him.

Ah go on then

Edited by The Nal

Hah - you'd have hated this summer's Crazy Horse shows. Walk Like A Giant might now be my favourite Neil song.

I watched the Springsteen Hyde Park DVD at the weekend, and to be honest the band were playing much better this summer than they were 4 years back. Maybe the added horn section made a difference, but The Employer himself also seemed in far sprightlier form this time around.

Though, that said, for all the E Street Band's generally fantastic qualities they made a few howlers at the gigs I saw this summer. I've never seen the Stones have to stop and restart a song the way they did with My City of Ruins at Hampden.

Yep. Bruce and *gasp* Bittan made a dog's brekkie of Prove It '78 in Belfast. 30 seconds into his opening "solo" Bruce turned his back to the crowd and starting looking around anxiously at Max and Roy... "help me out here fellas.... ive done fucked this one right up".

Also, the covers of "Sweet Soul Music" and particularly "Shake" in Kilkenny were a right old mess. Bruce camping it up hand on the hip style to cover the crapness.

Contrarily, he pulls "Man At The Top" outta nowhere the next night and it sounds like its the 1,000th time the song has been played. Glorious.

Yep. Bruce and *gasp* Bittan made a dog's brekkie of Prove It '78 in Belfast. 30 seconds into his opening "solo" Bruce turned his back to the crowd and starting looking around anxiously at Max and Roy... "help me out here fellas.... ive done fucked this one right up".

Yeah - that's the other one that springs to mind.

Cally youre forgetting "Ramada Inn" from the recent Horse shows. Absolutely fantastic.

Just a great gig all round. Even the absence of Like A Hurricane was barely noticed.

I also saw the tour with Booker T & the MGs and it was amazing as well, but I think - possibly - that the gig with the Horse just edged it. But then I've always had a massive soft spot for Weld.

I'd love then to release a live set of one of the Booker T. shows, though - fond memories of Neil singing Sittin' On The Dock of The Bay.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

I think trying, and succeeding in the main, to put together a 3 hour plus show that has the level of spontaneity that Bruce's shows have, some cock-ups are not surprising. I like the way he laughs them off though. The clip of them very very quickly rehearsing Ain't To Proud To Beg (Limerick?), and then pulling that off, with all the brass parts and backing vocals, is quite an achievement.

Oh aye - definitely still a great, great run gigs from Bruce this year. Only wish I'd pulled my finger out to go see more than two of them.

(but the Stones at Glasto were still better than the two I did see :-P)

was Glasto better - for you- than either of the Hyde Park shows?

I'd say so, aye - if not in musical terms then certainly in terms of atmosphere. Arriving onstage after dark is inevitably more impressive than during daylight hours, and the smaller stage really seemed to focus them together as a band. Combine that with the crowd - and a great big fire-spouting phoenix - and it really was a far more exciting show than the first Hyde Park gig.

Though listening to it again this morning it's not a stretch to say that the Hyde Park live album is - Bootleg Series releases aside - the best Stones live album since Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.

not for me. The Stones were surprisingly good. I think because of my low expectations, based on the terrible shows I'd experienced over the last 30 odd years, I enjoyed them more than I could have imagined, but a lot of Keith's solos were pretty ropey....

did you have a good spot for the stones at glastonbury?

I don't think Bruce totally screwed it up. He could have been a lot better, but apart from maybe Outlaw Pete, and American Land it was a good set. The best Bruce shows would be just as likely to be as (un)popular at Glastonbury.

The acts that succeed have a long list of hits that everyone knows. That isn't the case with Bruce. But look at the clips, it's not as if he's going down like a lead balloon, the punters are loving it. I think the perception got screwed by a small handful of people who never in a million years going to enjoy him, and revelled in saying "see, told you he was crap, boring, whatever...". For most Glasto punters, he's pretty much off the radar. Songs like Racing In The Streets are a perfect example of why many people think he's one of the most boring acts going. And his voice wasn't great... ok ok....

There were plenty of people saying they were unimpressed with Stevie Wonder too.

I think part of the reason Neil Young succeeded was because the expectations weren't particularly high. And if he'd performed with Crazy Horse, doing 20 minute versions of songs like Cortez The Killer, he also would have bombed (imo)

The Who were great. And yes, the weather, at the end of one of the worst weekends (weather-wise) made it pretty difficult to really enjoy them.

i'm with you on this one. Bruce at Glasto wasn't as much of a screw-up for me as a lot say it was. But i have a bit of a bias and i was right up front and missed any indifference from back in the crowd. as Nal points out, it was awful timing in that a horrrible album was out, and Outlaw Pete was stubbornly being played 3 songs in every gig still, something he eventually stopped. But for me, with the setting, it's still one of the favorite (to use Cal's point about the difference between 'favorite' and 'best') Bruce experiences for me, which means it's one of my favorites ever. if it was anyplace but Glasto i may not feel that way of course.

Tblair...re: your 'previous festival' question...he'd done Bonnaroo about 2 weeks prior and i think that was the last gig prior to this one.

As much as I enjoyed Stevie Wonder, i was more relieved that it wasn't the cheesy spectacle i was worried it could be. but for my tastes, it just wasn't on part with Bruce on Saturday in '09.

envious of you all and the now annual Springsteen Euro stadium gig fest this summer. We've been shut out this year here on the east coast of the US in Springsteen country and i fear we may be getting a bit of an extended break (by recent Bruce standards) after the South American gigs

Stevie at Glasters was a billion times better than Bruce. Rare we disagree Teva but on this occasion I gottsta speak up.

I really enjoyed the mini tour I went on with Bruce. But I think it'd need to take something like that Roma bust-out for me to compare it more favourably to the Stones.

Stones ranks in at 3rd place on my alltimer list at Glasters.