Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

You could probably plot a Stones at Isle of Wight excitement-o-graph based on setlist familiarity, starting high with Start Me Up, plummeting for You Got Me Rocking, edging back up with Tumbling Dice and Can't You Hear Me Knocking before flatlining entirely with Ain't Too Proud To Beg featuring Amy Winehouse and Keith doing two 1980s tracks. Then back up through the roof as they wheeled out the big guns for the finale.

Much I can understand why they do it, I hope they steer well clear of the R&B covers. They suck balls all day 'king long.

All the old R&B covers they do know just sound like Louie Louie/Everybody Needs Somebody to Love so agree with you there. Id love to here some blues from them though.

I'd love if they dropped Start Me Up by the way. Basically the more Mick Taylor tunes the better! The jam at the end of Can't You Hear Me Knocking with Mick Taylor on the Pyramid?! Yes please!!

Edited by The Nal

Do you think they're aware that the IOW gig went down badly so it makes them more likely to do the hits at Glasto?

my stones at the IOW alert has gone off....they were DUNG etc etc etc

my summer of gigs cant be beaten:

may - flaming lips

june - stone roses/leonard cohen/glastonbury

august - sigur ros/that bowie thing at V&A

sept - roger waters

october - nick cave

my summer of gigs cant be beaten:

may - flaming lips

june - stone roses/leonard cohen/glastonbury

august - sigur ros/that bowie thing at V&A

sept - roger waters

october - nick cave

Ticking all your boxes there alrght Russ.

indeed. Knowing my luck I'll get run over and killed on my way to the lips gig

hehe if the rumours of Prince in Dublin in Sept are true then this is the best summer for shows I can remember.

Incidentally, is there a bigger gig this year than the Stones at Glasters?

hehe if the rumours of Prince in Dublin in Sept are true then this is the best summer for shows I can remember.

Incidentally, is there a bigger gig this year than the Stones at Glasters?

I can't really think of a bigger show over the last few years. Stone Roses at Heaton Park being on a par. If Bowie announces any dates though then that will be up there.

edit: forgot about the other biggie of the summer. Cliff at Hampton Court Palace. Another "i was there" gig for sure.

Edited by Ed209

I like that with the announcement of a tour, it's semented in my mind that they are actually going to be there!

When glasto was their only announced tour date it felt like there was a possibility they could pull out! Now it's like... So, we are actually getting the stones!

This morning the Rolling Stones finally released dates for their "50 and Counting" North American tour.

SEE THE TOUR DATES / '50 AND COUNTING' PHOTOS

The U.S. dates, which were first reported by Billboard last month, will begin early next month on the West Coast, with announced markets including a stop at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, (date TBD, depending on NHL playoffs); May 5 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif.; May 8 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose; May 11 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas; May 15 at the Honda Center in Anaheim; May 25 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto; May 28 at the United Center in Chicago; June 12 at the TD North Garden in Boston; and June 18 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. CitiCard members will have access to presale tickets beginning Friday through Citi’s Private Pass program, with details at citiprivatepass.com.

As reported earlier, AEG Live will promote the North American shows. A source confirmed to Billboard that AEG Live has 18 shows to work with; only nine shows have been announced thus far, so multiples are a given. Essentially, the Stones are treating these shows as “destination” events, which -- given the international appeal of the five 50th anniversary shows last December in London and the New York area -- is an approach they can undertake with confidence.

A New York play is notably absent from this year's route, but that metro market was covered in December with shows at Barclays Center in Brooklyn and the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. At this point, though, it looks like Texas and the Southeastern U.S. will get no satisfaction, at least in this first part of the band's "50 and Counting" tour. As always with the Stones, there could be more to come; for updates, exclusive content and other Stones goodness, fans should check out the Official Rolling Stones App Presented by Citi, a deal that, along with the presale with Citi, was brokered by New York City-based agency MAC Presents, on behalf of the Stones.

The "And Counting" part of the tour’s title is no accident, as the Stones will not end their 2013 touring in Philadelphia. The band will move its touring machine overseas, first back to the U.K. for the Glastonbury Festival on June 29, and then AEG Live will promote two dates at London’s Hyde Park on July 6 and 13. If those shows blow up as expected, more dates could well follow in global markets, and sources tell Billboard that Australian promoter Paul Dainty will probably be involved in international shows.

That should be some consolation for Dainty. As reported in March, a deal was initially struck for Dainty and Virgin Music to promote the North American tour, but that plan fell through for financial reasons. AEG Live, a bidder to work with the Stones dating back to well before the December dates, got their shot with an (unconfirmed) guarantee of about $80 million. It was Dainty and Virgin that ponied up an estimated $25 million to present the band’s 50th Anniversary shows late last year, which grossed a total of $38,687,010 and sold 73,702 tickets, according to Boxscore.

Rolling Stones North American Tour Dates:

Early May Los Angeles Staples Center
May 5 Oakland Oracle Arena
May 8 San Jose HP Pavilion
May 11 Las Vegas MGM Grand Garden Arena
May 15 Anaheim Honda Center
May 25 Toronto Air Canada Centre
May 28 Chicago United Center
June 12 Boston TD North Garden
June 18 Philadelphia Wells Fargo Cente

Hmm, no Hyde Park yet?

The billboard article says there is:

The "And Counting" part of the tour’s title is no accident, as the Stones will not end their 2013 touring in Philadelphia. The band will move its touring machine overseas, first back to the U.K. for the Glastonbury Festival on June 29, and then AEG Live will promote two dates at London’s Hyde Park on July 6 and 13.

When the chips are down I still think Wyman might show.

And Let It Loose is my favourite Stones song by a country mile but I could probably live without hearing them try to do it live. Bit of a tricksy one to pull off.

Though let it be said that their setlists in the last 15 years have been *way* more varied than they ever were back in the day. I never thought I'd see them doing thinhs like Sway and She Was Hot.

'Let it Loose" is another in the never-played-live column.