Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

are Chase & Status really that big?

i'd say they are, yes. headlined smaller festivals like Parklife in the past few years. playing second under Eminem at Reading and Leeds and played second under the Prodigy at Download last year. they're the Pendulum of the moment. if they don't headline Other then they'll no doubt be subbing Pyramid

New Order are in Russia for the 28th and 30th so doubt they'd fly back just for Glastonbury. and i don't think Justice QUITE have the pulling force that a lot of people give them credit for. maybe i'm wrong but they don't seem quite big enough (not to headline Other. just to pull people away from Stones)

I think they'd be bigger at Glastonbury than Chase And Status. Glastonbury isnt quite Chase And Status territory yet.

that was my immediate reaction when someone suggested them.

On another note, I know they did it the last time round but QOTSA against Stones? They got a huge crowd last time...new album and world tour this year.... doing festivals this summer....

they wouldn't repeat a Other stage headliner two years running, and also, i'm pretty sure QOTSA and the Stones fanbases would cross over quite a bit. they wouldn't put two hard rock guitar acts up against each other like that

Calvin Harris - how many top 10 hits has he had now?

Very popular with the younger generation who may not be too bothered about The Stones, main stream and would command a big crowd. You only have to look at the recent Swedish Hosue Mafia tour to realise how big that type of dance music is right now. Would be logical in my view

Edited by Mud Dweller

glastonbury isnt chase and status territory? - what does that even mean?

did you see the crowd they pulled at west holts 2011?

It means what it says. Other is at least a third bigger than West Holts. Other is the more leftfield alternative to Pyramid, and C&S are more likely to be viewed as too commercial dance by the dance fans that normally inhabit Other. If C&S play, it won't be headlining Other.

Chase & Status are unarguably bigger than Justice, at Glastonbury or any other British festival. The xx is also a good shout for going against the Stones. i never thought i'd say this but i really REALLY hope Sigur Ros aren't there as missing them would break my heart. i'd be standing watching the Stones thinking 'please me absolutely terrible so i can leave'

*also, if Chase & Status did headline Other, and Plan B was playing on Pyramid, no doubt they'd get him on to do the couple of songs they've done together. it'll probably happen wherever C&S play, mind

Edited by FloorFiller

It means what it says. Other is at least a third bigger than West Holts. Other is the more leftfield alternative to Pyramid, and C&S are more likely to be viewed as too commercial dance by the dance fans that normally inhabit Other. If C&S play, it won't be headlining Other.

there's not a lot of choice for big-stage headlining dance acts though, at least ones that haven't been going 20 years and played many times before.

Chase & Status are unarguably bigger than Justice, at Glastonbury or any other British festival. The xx is also a good shout for going against the Stones. i never thought i'd say this but i really REALLY hope Sigur Ros aren't there as missing them would break my heart. i'd be standing watching the Stones thinking 'please me absolutely terrible so i can leave'

I've just argued it. At a more commercial festival, on a more commercial stage, I'd agree. Not when we are talking about Other.

New Order are in Russia for the 28th and 30th so doubt they'd fly back just for Glastonbury. and i don't think Justice QUITE have the pulling force that a lot of people give them credit for. maybe i'm wrong but they don't seem quite big enough (not to headline Other. just to pull people away from Stones)

Balls! Didn't know that

what does being commercial have to do with anything? prodigy, pendulum, chemical brothers etc have all played in past and they are all arguably even more commercial than chase and status...

Calvin Harris - how many top 10 hits has he had now?

Very popular with the younger generation who may not be too bothered about The Stones, main stream and would command a big crowd. You only have to look at the recent Swedish Hosue Mafia tour to realise how big that type of dance music is right now. Would be logical in my view

I'd have thought he's in with a shout. He's headlined the JPT and a Dance Stage previously IIRC. Would make a lot of sense against The Stones

The XX

Basement Jaxx/Calvin Harris

Smashing Pumpkins

Yeah, looks about right. Just a guess based on nothing but if they wanted someone really big against The Stones Plan B might be in with a shout

Ah sorry didnt realise Bloc were busy over the weekend... shame... really wanted to see them play somewhere on the lineup.

I only checked the weekend was I was hoping they would be there and was bored :P Normally i forget dates after like a week :P

tweet posted only 40 minutes ago...

Yes but Planet Rock already said this morning they was having a rolling stones announcement on their site, it adds nothing. Was a joke anyway.

possibly needs to be the biggest of that type saturday that they could get, but surely it's likely to be an act to attract the younger crowd?

Mhmm not sure it needs to be younger, as the younger crowd would normally like something that's currently mainstream which tends to have more fickle fans. What your really trying to do is give a good amount of people a reason not to see the Stones to check off their list :P

A younger dancey type headliner is more likely to attract lots of people who wouldn't bother to go see the Stones anyway.

Edited by LondonTom