2013 Headliners

Guest Andre91

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's what he means. But surely a Metallica or Sabbath arena show would cost just as much? Then factor in that they had at least 5 headline sized bands playing this year, and so surely they could afford Myse alongside two established metal headliners? Maybe one that isn't huge.

Saying this, I don't expect them to play, I'm just looking for some slight hope that they could. :P

I think that's what he means. But surely a Metallica or Sabbath arena show would cost just as much? Then factor in that they had at least 5 headline sized bands playing this year, and so surely they could afford Myse alongside two established metal headliners? Maybe one that isn't huge.

Saying this, I don't expect them to play, I'm just looking for some slight hope that they could. :P

If Muse play I think that Rammstein and Slipknot will be the other two headliners. Although I'm starting to get less sure about them playing and more about Iron Maiden instead. Foo Fighters are in the mix for a slot which would be great as well and I'd ideally like Foos, Maiden and Slipknot (who I all voted for on the 2013 Main stage Download Headliner on the forums) Others are also in the mix but these in my opinion are the front runners.

2012 is so good because of of the strength further down. Biffy are close to headliner status and a very big sub. Soundgarden could have headlined without complaints. Tenacious D could have subbed. Trivium 5th down is very impressive.

And Sabbath is a rarer booking than any of them, they've all done Soni.

Frankly, I reckon Tool is the best headliner possible.

Lacks a wow factor IMO, all these bands have been about a lot over the last few years, and are likely to continue to be, lacks that unmissable quality that Sabbath brought to the table this year.

Edited by Lithium05

Posted this in the offical forums...seems relevant here too

Fully expect to get flamed for this but can we really class people like Tool, BFMV, A7X, Kiss, Paramore et al as headliners in the current climate? It was widely regarded that if you were an arena band/big reformation that you'd instantly be classed as a headliner but after Sonisphere failed to shift anywhere near enough tickets with Kiss, FNM & Queen (all bands that prior to Sonisphere people would've categorised as headliners) has the festival landscape changed?

This year Download sold incredibly well but I know several people who chose DL for the first time this year because of the 'casual' draw of Metallica playing the 'Black album' & The Prodigy. In previous years the've gone to V or Leeds. IMO with money getting tighter people are being far more selective & headliners consisting of bands, who albeit popular don't have casual/crossover appeal wont cut the mustard in 2013.

It'll take for a couple of 'marguee' or stadium acts like Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam, Greenday (the kind of acts that can play Hyde Park/Old Trafford) in their own right to bring in the requisite numbers.

Edited by theramm

Posted this in the offical forums...seems relevant here too

Fully expect to get flamed for this but can we really class people like Tool, BFMV, A7X, Kiss, Paramore et al as headliners in the current climate? It was widely regarded that if you were an arena band/big reformation that you'd instantly be classed as a headliner but after Sonisphere failed to shift anywhere near enough tickets with Kiss, FNM & Queen (all bands that prior to Sonisphere people would've categorised as headliners) has the festival landscape changed?

This year Download sold incredibly well but I know several people who chose DL for the first time this year because of the 'casual' draw of Metallica playing the 'Black album' & The Prodigy. In previous years the've gone to V or Leeds. IMO with money getting tighter people are being far more selective & headliners consisting of bands, who albeit popular don't have casual/crossover appeal wont cut the mustard in 2013.

It'll take for a couple of 'marguee' or stadium acts like Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam, Greenday (the kind of acts that can play Hyde Park/Old Trafford) in their own right to bring in the requisite numbers.

Anyone that knows me would know I full heartly agree with this!

As for Slipknot, Rammstein, Iron Maiden I would be happy enough with that feels a little recycled though.

And is it better than 2012? Depends on the undercard if these were to be the headliners it would need a good undercard to be on par with this year.