Sunday night headliner stevie wonder?

Guest dan8k

So excited, he was absolutely fucking brilliant at Glasto. The perfect act to give you a proper dance and a good time.

I would have been happy with Stevie on the Friday to kick things off (maybe with Friendly Fires before him to keep the dancey sorta mode) and to have Sigur Ros headlining on the Sunday for an epic emotional finish.

Then again, I don't actually care because IT'S STEVIE FUCKING WONDER. One of the most influential acts ever. What a privilege.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I'm not usually the one for abuse on internet forums but...

Stevie Wonder is a fucking god amoungst men when it comes to live shows. Seeing him at glastonbury was literally one of the most life affirming, amazing performances in my entire life and I feel absolutely privileged to have been able to see him on that night. You go out with all your attention seeking "Oh look at me I don't really care about a headliner" and I go out with all my attention seeking "Oh look at me I'm going to talk shit to someone who probably doesn't give a shit and I havn't met them before on my life but I think they are wrong on an internet forum so I'll have a go at them anyway" and I just think you are wrong.

When I saw that Stevie Wonder was headlining Bestival this year I literally shouted what the fuck to my computer screen, ran out of my bedroom and sprinted around the place yelling at the top of my lungs that one of the most influential musicians of our time is headlining a medium sized festival in the Isle Of Wight. Sorry about the spelling mistakes and the shit post but if I don't go to Bestival this year then I will literally be crying in the corner of my bedroom for the 4 days that it's on and that is a true fact.

I'm not too fussed really if I'm honest. I have learned as I've grew up (well bob dylan is to blame) I don't legend spotting. Well to an extent. There are legends who I love so I'd go and see, but one like Stevie Wonder who I rarely listen to, isn't one of them. Tbh, even the ones I do listen to I fear the worst (like the roses).

Anyway that aside, I think it is a marvelous booking for the fest. I am also pleased for everyone who can't wait. I think the excitement for stevie will be electric on the sunday and that will just make the place buzz.

See, I actually love Stevie Wonder and his music. My beef isn't with him being any good or not because I think everybody can agree he's an important and huge part of musical history. He is for want of a better word, a legend.

But... It's been done. It's not creative. It's a Glasto poster from 2 years ago and somebody going 'that'll do'. If you could get Stevie Wonder, you can get anybody in the world, so why get somebody who has headlined a festival so recently (when you don't really have limitations) instead of somebody that hasn't?

For people to turn around and tell me they enjoyed him so much at Glastonbury 2 years ago reaffirms eveverything I'm getting at about why it's a lazy booking. Basically, what Rob's done is what R+L have done with The Cure this year and instead of repeating newer headline bands because there are so few, they're booking older bands who have recently played at other festivals. I mean, what, we've got 60 years of rock n roll history and from it we pluck a guy who headlined a festival 2 years ago as if nobody else exists? It takes the piss.

I don't expect anything from Bestival except the unexpected, but Stevie Wonder is a lazy booking. 60 billion years of rock history and we overlook McCartney? Depeche Mode? Lou Reed? Morrissey? Bowie? Pink Floyd? The Eagles? These are all people of Stevie Wonder's ilk, some maybe moreso less so depending on their own subjective opinions, and how many of these have headlined UK festivals in the last 10 years and could still make just as deep an impression?

And the fact I've been to so few festivals is irrelevant. What matters is that I've paid for a ticket to this festival, just as I'm sure you have, so I have a right to throw my hat into the arena just as anybody on here has, and I say this is a lazy booking. Doesn't matter if I saw X headliner before, or whether me seeing them gives me a right to justify whether I'd like to see them again. The fact I paid for a ticket gives me a right to determine if I wish to see them at all.

I'm personally well excited about Stevie Wonder headlining, for me it's what booking a headliner is about someone who will put on an amazing show and blow the audience away even if you don't like him surely you can appreciate his status! Booking people who have already played another festival is not lazy booking at all.. surely that would rule out just about any major act that would actually play festivals. If he was to book Morrisey it would be like looking at a V festival poster from 2006 ;)

I don't expect anything from Bestival except the unexpected, but Stevie Wonder is a lazy booking. 60 billion years of rock history and we overlook McCartney? Depeche Mode? Lou Reed? Morrissey? Bowie? Pink Floyd? The Eagles? These are all people of Stevie Wonder's ilk, some maybe moreso less so depending on their own subjective opinions, and how many of these have headlined UK festivals in the last 10 years and could still make just as deep an impression?

McCarney - headlined.

Depeche Mode - headlined.

Morrissey - headliuned

Bowie - headlined (but now impossible).

Pink Floyd - impossible.

The Eagles - headlined.

And guess what? With the exception of McCartney, all the acts are smaller, and all have headlined as many fests as Stevie Wonder. And Depeche Mode are a much smaller act, as is Morrissey, as are The Eagles.

So any laziness in thinking which bands should be booked is your own and not Bestival's.

And the fact I've been to so few festivals is irrelevant. What matters is that I've paid for a ticket to this festival, just as I'm sure you have, so I have a right to throw my hat into the arena just as anybody on here has, and I say this is a lazy booking.

yep, you're entitled to have your say, and on just the same basis others are entitled to laugh at your ignorance/stupidity. :)

Headliners always cause a certain amount of controversy as everyone has their own tastes, personally I was not blown away by the performance in 2010 and anyone who saw Stevie at Glastonbury might well give him a swerve this time.

One thing is for sure; this is a major coup for Bestival and well done to Rob.

Edited by hawkzred

Stevie Wonder is a top booking objectively. Even if you don't like him, he rarely plays any uk gigs, let alone festivals. I can only think of Glastonbury and Hyde Park Calling.

Anyway, its a 50,000.00 capcaity festival, and Stevie Wonder has probably never played a festival that small before. And it's good Rob got him, gives the festival more publlicity and makes other bigger acts more likely to want to play it in the future. Shows ambition.

Edited by zahidf

See, I actually love Stevie Wonder and his music. My beef isn't with him being any good or not because I think everybody can agree he's an important and huge part of musical history. He is for want of a better word, a legend.

But... It's been done. It's not creative. It's a Glasto poster from 2 years ago and somebody going 'that'll do'. If you could get Stevie Wonder, you can get anybody in the world, so why get somebody who has headlined a festival so recently (when you don't really have limitations) instead of somebody that hasn't?

For people to turn around and tell me they enjoyed him so much at Glastonbury 2 years ago reaffirms eveverything I'm getting at about why it's a lazy booking. Basically, what Rob's done is what R+L have done with The Cure this year and instead of repeating newer headline bands because there are so few, they're booking older bands who have recently played at other festivals. I mean, what, we've got 60 years of rock n roll history and from it we pluck a guy who headlined a festival 2 years ago as if nobody else exists? It takes the piss.

Well, actually, yes, because it either gives me the opportunity to change my mind or expand my horizons. I know Stevie's good, and I will be checking him out at Bestival for this very reason and as you pointed out the fact I may never see him again, but out of everybody Rob could have booked - whoever that might have been - it would have been nicer to have somebody who wasn't as recent a headliner at another festival as Stevie. It feels like I'm paying for a recycled product.

end of the day though, whatever complaints I have are irrelevant. Stevie's booked, loads of people will enjoy him, me included, and that's all that matters really. At least until Florence is announced in May.