Sunday night headliner stevie wonder?

Guest dan8k

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would have been nicer to have somebody who wasn't as recent a headliner at another festival as Stevie. It feels like I'm paying for a recycled product.

there are no acts that fit what you're saying, at least, acts that are actually available (ie: not dead). ;)

You came up with a list of acts that you consider as better, and yet none of them are any different to what you've said about Stevie.

So either name some viable headline acts that fit what you say you want, or accept that there are none.

(here's a clue: there are none).

Last 5 years? The Rolling Stones. 2007 was their IOW appearance wasn't it? Otherwise, Dolly Parton, Aretha Franklin, EmmyLou Harris, Santana... Where else have they appeared?

Stones - there's a reason why they've only played the IoW, and it's naff all to do with no one having tried.

Dolly - not interested in doing fests.

Aretha - extremely unwell, so unwell she couldn't attend her god-daughter's funeral a few weeks back.

EmmyLou Harris - a very minor act, suitable for headlining a festival of about 1/10th the size of Bestival.

Santana - is anyonme actuallky interested apart from you?

Sounds like you need to start your own festival, to find out just how stupid your ideas are. PS: be prepared to lose millions of pounds. :)

Well, let's just be glad Rob didn't do a Melvin Benn and book the most uninspired boring line-up on the planet. Bestival is miles ahead in terms of bands. Got tons of great exclusives. Sigur Ros must have been incredibly hard to get.

Just to echo others comments here - I don't see how on earth Stevie Wonder is 'a lazy booking'. These comments show no understanding about how festivals go about booking artists and to suggest a lack of creativity in the booking is minboggling.

So your beef is with stevie headlining glasto 2 years ago and therefore a lazy booking and then list these names

McCartney - headlined IOW two years ago, played HRC a few years back and played 02 recently or in the near future

Morrissey - Subbed glasto last year, played a UK tour and played hop farm

The Eagles - Headlined hop farm last year

Bowie - Retired hasnt played a gig in 5 + years? and has no plans too cant make him play

Pink Floyd - not a band anymore, broken up, will only consider playing for charity

Depeche Mode - Not of stevies stature, but hints theyll play next year

Lou Reed - Played IOW a few years back, and wasnt very good, lulu kinda backs that up

All of the bands you suggested plays more or as much as stevie wonder in this country or just arent a live act anymore

To say you dont like him is fair enough (if not ridiculous), to say youd rather have someone else headline is fine, but to say its a lazy booking is plain wrong

He's good at what he does but it's not my cup of tea at all. Saw him briefly at Glasto and thought he was ok, but can't have it all I suppose. I'll probably still be on a Sigur Ros induced high to care about the headliner to be honest.

Hopefully someone that isn't lazy and predictable like stevie wonder, maybe rob da bank can bring george and jon back to life and we can have the beatles, or some obscure act not big enough to headline my back garden.

Just make sure its not as lazy as booking stevie wonder, oh and there last gig in the UK must be over 10 years ago...

:sarcastic:

Well, let's just be glad Rob didn't do a Melvin Benn and book the most uninspired boring line-up on the planet. Bestival is miles ahead in terms of bands. Got tons of great exclusives. Sigur Ros must have been incredibly hard to get.

See, I actually love Stevie Wonder and his music. My beef isn't with him being any good or not because I think everybody can agree he's an important and huge part of musical history. He is for want of a better word, a legend. But... It's been done. It's not creative. It's a Glasto poster from 2 years ago and somebody going 'that'll do'. If you could get Stevie Wonder, you can get anybody in the world, so why get somebody who has headlined a festival so recently (when you don't really have limitations) instead of somebody that hasn't? For people to turn around and tell me they enjoyed him so much at Glastonbury 2 years ago reaffirms eveverything I'm getting at about why it's a lazy booking. Basically, what Rob's done is what R+L have done with The Cure this year and instead of repeating newer headline bands because there are so few, they're booking older bands who have recently played at other festivals. I mean, what, we've got 60 years of rock n roll history and from it we pluck a guy who headlined a festival 2 years ago as if nobody else exists? It takes the piss.

I think they're good but (epecially without Glasto this year) I doubt there was much of a clamour for them, especially at the slot that Bestival have given them. Maybe Latitude but I doubt any other festival of equal or greater size would have given them the same slot/money so if they wanted to do some festival dates it was probably pretty easy to convince them to do Bestival. They're a good fit and both parties are probably well aware of it.