2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

I think something like commercial charts is exactly where you'd be wrong. There's no way some of the hip-pop that spreads throughout the charts nowadays would have had its equivalent back then. If you look at people like Dizzee Rascal, Tinie Tempah, Labrynth, Leona Lewis etc. etc. who do chart well often, there's massive social mobility. As I said, I agree with you in certain areas, but considering the prevalence of music such as the above mentioned now, its hard to agree with chart comparisons.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, you continue to fail to make an actual point.

For the record - I struggle with private education, I have made a choice not to send my children as I want to support the "regular" education system in this country. I can afford to send my children but morally I have a problem with it. I understand there are different views on this and have respect for the other views, this just happens to be mine.

Where a band went to school plays no part in whether they get anywhere or not, I have been involved in the music industry in the past for many years and have manged a number of artists, some of them even had a private education! Others didnt. Talent and ability are one thing but arguably the biggest factors in an artist getting anywhere is drive, ambition and work ethic. You have got to be prepared to work work work. If you dont there are any number of others out there who will put in the extra effort, every day for years on end.

Lets end this nonesense about private education in the music business, it makes no serious point at all.

Have an educated discussion about private education and I will join in and possibly, judging by some of your other comments, share some common ground with you.

bullshit_everywhere-e1345505471862.jpeg

What a delightfully made up fact! Did you also know that 43% of people don't have a little toe on their right foot?

What does it matter if a band went to public school, its not their choice its their parents, I'm not writing off a bands because of where they went to school. Music is music to me. If a band has members that were born with a silver spoon in their mouths sing about the hardships of everyday life then yeah there is a lack of sincerity behind it but if its a good song I'm still going to listen to it. I grew up in a very deprived area of London but that doesn't mean I hate people who went to public school and it doesn't mean I can only listen to a bunch of uneducated twats from the north singing about coal mines and recreational drugs!

Where a band went to school plays no part in whether they get anywhere or not

sorry, but that's incredibly naive. ;)

If that's true for bands it's also true for any other job, and yet the facts prove beyond all doubt that it's certainly not true for any other job.

If what someone posted earlier about the percentage of privately educated acts being much greater today than it was in the past is true, then it becomes exceedingly hard to argue against the idea that it doesn't give them an advantage, given that the opportunities for social mobility have lessened hugely over the last 30 years, and that private schooling has also increased substantially. If the growth in privately educated musical acts has out-stripped the growth in private education then it's exceedingly likely that private schooling gives an advantage in the music industry - even if it's nothing more than better access to musical tuition.

Edited by eFestivals

How about in times of a depressed economy there is a risk averse mentality. It's a safer bet taking a chance on an educated bunch of people doing middle of the road stuff than the alternative.

Edited by whisty

sorry, but that's incredibly naive. ;)

If that's true for bands it's also true for any other job, and yet the facts prove beyond all doubt that it's certainly not true for any other job.

If what someone posted earlier about the percentage of privately educated acts being much greater today than it was in the past is true, then it becomes exceedingly hard to argue against the idea that it doesn't give them an advantage, given that the opportunities for social mobility have lessened hugely over the last 30 years, and that private schooling has also increased substantially. If the growth in privately educated musical acts has out-stripped the growth in private education then it's exceedingly likely that private schooling gives an advantage in the music industry - even if it's nothing more than better access to musical tuition.