2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

Politics affects the headliners, internal and external politics, its very hard to seperate, and that's what makes Glastonbury different because of the ethos (I'm not talking about Mumford in particular). When you take the politics out of Glastonbury, its headliners and history, its fuck all.

I know Emily Eavis recently made a comment about not wanting to get involved in politics but I believe she later clarified and refuted that.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Politics affects the headliners, internal and external politics, its very hard to seperate, and that's what makes Glastonbury different because of the ethos (I'm not talking about Mumford in particular). When you take the politics out of Glastonbury, its headliners and history, its fuck all.

I know Emily Eavis recently made a comment about not wanting to get involved in politics but I believe she later clarified and refuted that.

Mmmm could it also not be a case that back in the 60s, 70s and 80s the thought of a privately educated well to do individual going into, god forbid, a rock band would have had mummy and daddy cutting the money supply off and that they hadvto get themselves a proper job in finance, law, medicine etc? However over the last 20 years or so parents allow their children to grow and express themselves a lot more freely now hence a sudden influx of privately educated individuals entering the music industry? Not saying thats the case but more of a question

That's fine, but whether you want to care about it or not, the fest have been shown to use it in booking acts (u2, Springsteen, Coldplay, Jay-Z) being recent major examples.

It plays a role and is why I'd imagine acts like Eminem would never be booked. People can give the Snoop example to counter that, but its a long time since Snoop has talked about his earlier themes, and now seems more concerned with smoking green, something which isn't exactly counter Glastonbury.

I'm not saying it isn't affecting who plays, i don't know enough about it to comment on that. I'm just saying that when all is said and done and we're stood in front of whatever stage, is anyone really thinking about politics or anything else other than the performance?

Or a man dressed as a fisherman slagging off the stewards (which i saw last year at 6am Monday morning)