BLUR? Just Maybe?

Guest westwardhoboy

Blur would be epic for sure so got my fingers tightly crossed! I'm also not sure on the point about them having played in 09 being problematic. And with Stevie. Most people wouldn't have been there and might not have even watched the footage. I wonder if our opinions are skewed cos collectively we've seen every single headliner since 1845 🤣

19 hours ago, Neville Street said:

Blurnups would be great. Really hoping that is now a “slot” that we can look forward to each time. I am not a FF fan, but loved an hour of their big tunes.

Agree with both these. I know secret sets have been a thing for ages but the fact it was on the Pyramid and so massive made it special (even if we all knew who it was)

A couple of my friends are massive FF fans but I can take or leave them. But that hour was a LOT of fun

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scrump said:

Blur would be epic for sure so got my fingers tightly crossed! I'm also not sure on the point about them having played in 09 being problematic. And with Stevie. Most people wouldn't have been there and might not have even watched the footage. I wonder if our opinions are skewed cos collectively we've seen every single headliner since 1845 🤣

I think the problem of them playing again is they absolutely nailed the 2009 slot, and may think why possibly ruin that legacy. Having said that, they were outstanding at Wembley last year, and I have no doubt they'd nail it if they played again, but with 09 leaving such a mark on the band, i'm not sure they'll do it. As others have said, a 75 min Churnups style slot would be perfect though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr flow said:

I think the problem of them playing again is they absolutely nailed the 2009 slot, and may think why possibly ruin that legacy. Having said that, they were outstanding at Wembley last year, and I have no doubt they'd nail it if they played again, but with 09 leaving such a mark on the band, i'm not sure they'll do it. As others have said, a 75 min Churnups style slot would be perfect though.

Think the backlash from subsequent year's Gorillaz gig might also be a factor here.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It'd be a factor next time he brings Gorillaz back - but since then he's played with Bobby Womack, TGTB&TQ, Africa Express and on Live From Worthy Farm...

+ Syrian National Orchestra &  and I think he popped up as a guest appearances with Deltron 3030

Recon there is probably a few more acts he popped out for a song or 2 along the way. 

12 minutes ago, Talcroft said:

Going out on a limb and saying I didn't hate that Gorillaz set. (prepares to be banned from efests after such a promising start.)

I was 22, what did I know, but that is my memory and I stand by it.

Think people wanted the same "hosanna in the highest" experience as Blur the previous summer and when it didnt arrive they got cheesed and loads left.

The (real) ones that stayed saw one of the bravest and most unique shows in the hist of the festival. Snoop's cameo at the end was bigly - place went berzerk.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

+ Syrian National Orchestra &  and I think he popped up as a guest appearances with Deltron 3030

Recon there is probably a few more acts he popped out for a song or 2 along the way. 

He didn't guest with Deltron, Jamie Cullum did Clint Eastwood with them.

3 hours ago, Talcroft said:

Going out on a limb and saying I didn't hate that Gorillaz set. (prepares to be banned from efests after such a promising start.)

I was 22, what did I know, but that is my memory and I stand by it.

It was a great set, and I stand by that. The only thing Damon needed to do more was talk to the crowd. They were on to a loser when a girl next to me said, who's that after I said Lou Reed. Oh dear!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Coachella like this will do nicely:

1 St. Charles Square
2 Popscene
3 Beetlebum
4 Coffee & TV
5 Country House
6 Parklife
7 To the End
8 Girls & Boys
9 Song 2
10 This Is a Low
11 Tender
12 The Narcissist
13 The Universal

Gotta play Barbaric though.

3 hours ago, fullfathom5 said:

Gotta play Barbaric though.

I mean, it's every person's poison. I'd rather him try and get the band on side to do On Melancholy Hill, but there's more chance of a ten-minute reggae rendition of Come Into the Garden, Maud to be fair.

5 hours ago, fullfathom5 said:

It was a great set, and I stand by that. The only thing Damon needed to do more was talk to the crowd. They were on to a loser when a girl next to me said, who's that after I said Lou Reed. Oh dear!

Damon has stated himself that he messed up by not engaging with the crowd and walking people through it a little more. He has improved in this respect since and always makes a point to intro special guests on Gorillaz sets.  

As to whether Glastonbury.  I know for a fact they were only offered Coachella the day before the line up announcement (last minute replacement) and as of end of December, has no plans to play.  Obv now they are active they may decide to do glasto if offered, but Damon is off to India with Jamie to start a Gorillaz record and he has an opera in the summer. 

40 minutes ago, Dg_vic said:

Damon has stated himself that he messed up by not engaging with the crowd and walking people through it a little more. He has improved in this respect since and always makes a point to intro special guests on Gorillaz sets.  

Aye, it felt like one of the least engaging things I'd seen there, as though it wasn't even a live set, hence we chipped off part way through. 

By comparison the Blur set and the good the bad and the queen (up the park) were very special. 

• Like 1