Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

53 minutes ago, feral chile said:

oggy oggy oggy

(brownie point for next line without googling)

the next line is "oi oi oi - Celtic cousins pratts knickin' our pasties, give it back or we'll plant that leak for you where the sun don't shine, stop stealin' our heritage you've got enough of your own"

I think that's the lyric innit? and it's followed up by an 'ansome flash o' the vs

happy St Perrins

The Oxford English Dictionary (2004) entry for "Oggy" states: "Oggy, noun. West Country regional (orig. Cornwall) and Navy slang. A Cornish pasty. Probably an alteration of Cornish hoggan pastry, pie (18th century)"[4]

Members of the Royal Navy claim to have used the chant, or a version of it, since the Second World War.[5] The 'Oggie, Oggie, Oggie' chant was used by supporters of the Royal Navy's Devonport Field Gun Team. (The field gun competition was disbanded in 1999 after a hundred years of competition).[6]

It was then adopted at British football grounds at some point during the postwar period, and was certainly in common use by the 1960s.

In the 1970s the Welsh folk pratt Max Boyce stole the chant to excite the crowd at his concerts. Boyce was also a big rugby union fan, and through him it then began to be adopted by Welsh rugby union crowds at international matches. Soon it spread to rugby crowds at club level and eventually to many other sporting occasions at all levels.

^^^^^^ this is why rugby should be banned - thieves^^^^^^

Edited by 5co77ie

17 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

the next line is "oi oi oi - Celtic cousins pratts knickin' our pasties, give it back or we'll plant that leak for you where the sun don't shine, stop stealin' our heritage you've got enough of your own"

I think that's the lyric innit? and it's followed up by an 'ansome flash o' the vs

bugger thought you'd misspell it.

happy St Perrins

The Oxford English Dictionary (2004) entry for "Oggy" states: "Oggy, noun. West Country regional (orig. Cornwall) and Navy slang. A Cornish pasty. Probably an alteration of Cornish hoggan pastry, pie (18th century)"[4]

Members of the Royal Navy claim to have used the chant, or a version of it, since the Second World War.[5] The 'Oggie, Oggie, Oggie' chant was used by supporters of the Royal Navy's Devonport Field Gun Team. (The field gun competition was disbanded in 1999 after a hundred years of competition).[6]

It was then adopted at British football grounds at some point during the postwar period, and was certainly in common use by the 1960s.

In the 1970s the Welsh folk pratt Max Boyce stole the chant to excite the crowd at his concerts. Boyce was also a big rugby union fan, and through him it then began to be adopted by Welsh rugby union crowds at international matches. Soon it spread to rugby crowds at club level and eventually to many other sporting occasions at all levels.

Not a Boyce fan so

:D

Edited by feral chile

Took Mrs GH up to Llandrindod Wells and back today as she was addressing a conference.  Beautiful drive, lovely snow covered Brecon Beacons. Reinforced what I know already but always enjoy recognising what a stunning country I live in.

1 hour ago, 5co77ie said:

happy St Perrins

oh yeah, I got some Cornish tin miners in me

so to speak. father's side on one side, so that makes me a quarter English?

is that right?

eta: probably less than that, I think it's further back.

Edited by feral chile

Me and a few mates kind of stayed in a pub all weekend in Pontypridd many moons ago now. On the Sunday night when the locals heard that we were off back to Birmingham in the morning they all stood up in unison and sang We'll Keep a Welcome in the Hillsides to us. Nice touch.

I went back again some time later and we visited a rough bar in the town. I couldn't believe what I saw when I walked up to the bar - there was a bloke injecting himself with something right at the bar, and it didn't look like it might be insulin.

12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Me and a few mates kind of stayed in a pub all weekend in Pontypridd many moons ago now. On the Sunday night when the locals heard that we were off back to Birmingham in the morning they all stood up in unison and sang We'll Keep a Welcome in the Hillsides to us. Nice touch.

I went back again some time later and we visited a rough bar in the town. I couldn't believe what I saw when I walked up to the bar - there was a bloke injecting himself with something right at the bar, and it didn't look like it might be insulin.

we were discussing the alcohol rules on the local trains today. on the Valleys line, you're not allowed to drink alcohol on the train when you're technically travelling in the valleys, but for part of the journey into Cardiff you are. this offends Valleys people, as they believe aspersions are being cast.

i'm always proud of the atmosphere in Cardiff on match day, all supporters in the pub together, and usually very good natured.

- 'kind of' stayed?

Edited by feral chile

22 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

probably further - try going outside and looking in the window - that far back

i'm sorry that's gone whoosh. over my head. Just spent a very long week number crunching, and brain fried more than usual.

5 minutes ago, feral chile said:

i'm sorry that's gone whoosh. over my head. Just spent a very long week number crunching, and brain fried more than usual.

Don't worry feral - I had no idea what he was on about either.

18 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Took Mrs GH up to Llandrindod Wells and back today as she was addressing a conference.  Beautiful drive, lovely snow covered Brecon Beacons. Reinforced what I know already but always enjoy recognising what a stunning country I live in.

Pff..You should see the sunset over the glue factory roof round my way, bloody majestic it is.

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:47 AM, Spindles said:

Honestly, it's one of the wonders of the modern world.  The derelict battery factory had a certain splendour to it too, but we've got an Asda now, so I'm not complaining.

can trump that - I grew up playing on this

Bargoed Colliery

It was once the biggest coal tip in Europe. we had a rope swing hanging from a tree about half way up that swung over the drop, huge adrenalin rush that was, but parents got wind of it and sawed off the branch. Bloody killjoys!

I remember standing in awe at the sheer beauty of the moonlight glistening off the coal dust. I had been liberally partaking in the locally growing fungi, mind.

They've bloody ruined it now by turning it into a wildlife haven and woodland park, the heathens!

th?&id=OIP.M69d6c9fef3ec6ceae6b8a7244525

Edited by feral chile