Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

You might want to seek the help of an accountant if you are struggling to understand it all.  For a small amount they can hep you register as a sole trader and show you how to keep organise your record keeping,  show what you can claim as a sole trader, fill in your tax return and so on.  

You will soon get your head around it and be able to do it on your own.

What are you going to do be doing ?

Hello Barry

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately I know a lot of people who are self employed and am going to ask them about what to do and not do. In fact I've already looked up the section for setting up as a Sole Trader on the governments website. I can't fill the application in yet though as I don't start the job for two weeks and still need to sign on before then - not that I get any money from them for doing this as I don't, but it means I can still attend the £1K course they are paying for before I start work.

I'm going to be working as a Contract Manager for a new building maintenance contract that a firm of builders has won. The contract doesn't actually kick in until the start of January 2016 but they want me to start soon so that I can familiarise myself with their systems, the tradesmen I'll be dealing with etc They initiallty asked me if I wanted to work two or three days a week up until January or if I wanted to work full time up until then. I was tempted to just work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and have four days off work. However, I've spent all my redundancy money from my last job so now need to start earning again so am going full time.

Hello Barry

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately I know a lot of people who are self employed and am going to ask them about what to do and not do. In fact I've already looked up the section for setting up as a Sole Trader on the governments website. I can't fill the application in yet though as I don't start the job for two weeks and still need to sign on before then - not that I get any money from them for doing this as I don't, but it means I can still attend the £1K course they are paying for before I start work.

I'm going to be working as a Contract Manager for a new building maintenance contract that a firm of builders has won. The contract doesn't actually kick in until the start of January 2016 but they want me to start soon so that I can familiarise myself with their systems, the tradesmen I'll be dealing with etc They initiallty asked me if I wanted to work two or three days a week up until January or if I wanted to work full time up until then. I was tempted to just work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and have four days off work. However, I've spent all my redundancy money from my last job so now need to start earning again so am going full time.

https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself/overview

Thanks feral. I had actually logged on to that before but got bored with reading it. I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet at some point and get my head around it all. As I said before though, I'm going to seek the assistance of a human in the first instance. Hopefully I'll not fall asleep with disinterest in front of them. Strangely enough my first ever real job was as a trainee cost accountant. I didn't last two weeks at that before I walked out of the place one afternoon just after lunch and never returned. I beat over 300 candidates for that job as well. I don't suppose I'll ever repeat that performance.

the do webinars and email now too, not sure how good the service is, it's pretty new.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/webinars-emails-and-videos-if-youre-self-employed

Wow. I'd never even heard of a webinar until this moment. I've got to look in to this even though it's dangerously bordering on being IT savvy. Thanks for the link feral. :)

I don't really get on with the one set of neighbours that I have. They have now moved their bins so that I can't open the door to the vehicle I use daily in order to get out of that vehicle once it is parked on my own drive. Fortunately I can just hop along the seats and get out of the passenger side. I don't think they have realised this. I'm going to see if this is a temporary thing or if it's permanent. I'll allow three days for this. If the bins are still there then (after being stored elsewhere for the last 12 years!) then I'm going to retaliate with a shock and awe campaign which is really going to fuck them off and they'll be able to do nothing legal about it. I know it's petty but I just love this kind of battle. When the massive bastard (and he is massive) comes around to complain I will rightly point out to him that he has caused the situation and see how he explains himself.

I don't really get on with the one set of neighbours that I have. They have now moved their bins so that I can't open the door to the vehicle I use daily in order to get out of that vehicle once it is parked on my own drive. Fortunately I can just hop along the seats and get out of the passenger side. I don't think they have realised this. I'm going to see if this is a temporary thing or if it's permanent. I'll allow three days for this. If the bins are still there then (after being stored elsewhere for the last 12 years!) then I'm going to retaliate with a shock and awe campaign which is really going to fuck them off and they'll be able to do nothing legal about it. I know it's petty but I just love this kind of battle. When the massive bastard (and he is massive) comes around to complain I will rightly point out to him that he has caused the situation and see how he explains himself.

Park the other way round (reverse in or whatever) and then your door will be on the side where you can open it.

Booked flight tickets today for a big family holiday (12 of us going to Portugal in August).  Only problem is that Farmer Phil's Festival is bang in the middle of the holiday.  So I booked an additional flight home half way through the holiday to be able to go to the fest and a flight back afterwards to continue the family break.

Apart from anything else I think I'll need a break from the extended family.

I'd forgotten that I'd ordered a book from Amazon months ago, so woke up today to a kind of surprise package.

Also (i don't make a habit of this), a comment I made on the DM website got red arrowed to near the top of the "Worst Rated" for that story. I am ridiculously pleased about that :).

• Upvote 1

Congrats mr Z :D  Obtaining the ire of Daily Heil readers is a worthy endeavour.

If people do occasionally visit the website I'd recommend checking out the "sidebar of sanity" Chrome extension, which changes all the headlines to sensible things like "woman wears clothes"

Park the other way round (reverse in or whatever) and then your door will be on the side where you can open it.

I guess it's an OCD thing but I like to reverse the campervan in rather than drive it in. Anyway, it's all academic at the momentas my stepson has parked his old car (which is to be sold) in the space where I normally park my campervan. This means that we now have five vehicles either on the drive or on the road. I've got to sell my normal van as well as I have just been given a company van to use.

In other news, I started in a new job today after having been idle for about a year and a half. The day went well and was actually enjoyable. This has made me happy today.

Lost my wallet on Tuesday night while on holiday with the kids... and only found out after sitting down in a restaurant and ordering food.

Once I found out I told the staff and cancelled the food and prepared to leave.  Manager came over and said he wasn't going to allow two children to leave upset and hungry (kids where obviously upset by this point as it was a treat in there fave restruant).  He came back with two huge plates of fish and chips and two deserts for the kids.

I so grateful and his kindness floored me.  A total gentlemen!

I phoned later that evening to pay once we got access to my wife cards and he refused to accept payment.  

Also, my wallet was later found and handed in :)

nice story. :)

That's brilliant Barry. I lost my purse at Global Gathering (more years ago than I care to remember) and months later got a phone call from police miles away from the festival site saying it had been found in a ditch and handed in! Cash gone but all cards present and correct. Some honest souls about (even if it had been nabbed by some drunken arse!)

Two happies from me - first half term off with minibunique and we're having a lovely time mooching about, having leisurely breakfasts and doing lots of colouring. And the first set of bunting I've ever made (for Halloween) looks bloody brilliant, if I do say so myself :lol:

The amount of times I have lost wallets, phones, keys, even passports and they have been handed in and have somehow got back to me is a joke. I think I must lose them on purpose because of the great feeling you get about humanity when you get them back.

I once lost my wallet on a bus between Dublin airport and the city when I was on the way to Oxegen festival. It was the first festival I had been to abroad - the wallet had all of my euros, my festival ticket and bank cards in it. I tracked down the bus to the bus station it was ending up at, got a taxi there, saw the bus driver carrying it over to the office that we were in waiting for it. All I hoped for was my bank cards to still be in it.... the bus driver gave me the wallet that still had the ticket, my cards and 200 euros cash. I was so shocked that the driver hadn't just taken the cash out, that I offered him some money- which he obviously refused - and he actually ended up giving us a couple of umbrellas for the festival because he had seen the weather forecast that morning and felt for us. Top, top bloke.

We did experiments with vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and the results were awesome :lol: The first 6 months of the year were a real struggle at times with my 4 year old but she is such good company right now!

image.jpg

• Upvote 1