Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

9 hours ago, Spindles said:

In a bizarre turn of events, one of my colleagues at work bought me a lawn mower and surprised me with it when I was leaving work this morning.  I'd mentioned that mine had died on the weekend and, knowing that I'm saving every penny I have for Glastonbury he decided to buy one for me.  I honestly have never had anyone do anything like this for me before, I just didn't know how to react.

Aww that's lovely :)

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Sounds like you had a fab time, whatever it was you were up to. Just wondering (being nosey) was it business or pleasure? I can only think of awesome people on the pleasure angle.

it was for training, so business really. my training group are fab, down to earth and fun, warm people, some from my area

and others from all around the country.

Edited by feral chile

5 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You and Neil meet up for a debate? :-)

heh!

I did wonder if he lived in the particular area I was staying.

It's a nice city, the bits I've seen, anyway.

Bach home now, left Bristol in cold sunshine, phoned my husband to pick me up, whuile on the train, he said 'it's tipping down' - we drove into sleet literally 30 seconds from my home town.

I used to visit Bristol regularly because one of my brothers was at college there. I used to spend most of my time in pubs so didn't really see that much of the place. I do remember being in a beer garden on a sunny Sunday afternoon in a posh hotel next to the Clifton Suspension Bridge getting hammered. My brother in law (and school mate) and his wife have recently moved there so should imagine we'll be going to see them soon enough.

9 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I used to visit Bristol regularly because one of my brothers was at college there. I used to spend most of my time in pubs so didn't really see that much of the place. I do remember being in a beer garden on a sunny Sunday afternoon in a posh hotel next to the Clifton Suspension Bridge getting hammered. My brother in law (and school mate) and his wife have recently moved there so should imagine we'll be going to see them soon enough.

That hotel used to be the Grand Spa Hotel, now renamed The Avon Gorge Hotel.  My first job in the summer after leaving school was working for their laundry driving a van between the Grand Spa, where there was a huge laundry in the basement, and the sister Grand Hotel in the centre of Bristol.  I made the trip four times a day taking down baskets of clean laundry and bringing back the dirty stuff from the Grand.

One summer a friend of mine got married and had her reception at the Grand Spa.  We were all drinking outside on the terrace when someone spotted that at another wedding reception inside there was a band playing. So our party decided to gatecrash.  It ended with the two grooms taking off their jackets and having a punch up.  Crazy days.

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm off to the Landed Festival today, although it officially starts tomorrow. Weather's looking a bit dodgy in places but it'll be fun regardless.

Enjoy :)

Edited by feral chile

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think anyone would choose to stay in Easton. :lol:

Not only that, I've no idea where someone would stay in Easton. To my knowledge there's no places in Easton that offer accommodation.

We were in a Travelodge near Bristol Temple Meads Station. It was lovely around there, really pretty by the river. Must be nice in the summer.

21 minutes ago, feral chile said:

We were in a Travelodge near Bristol Temple Meads Station. It was lovely around there, really pretty by the river. Must be nice in the summer.

I use that Travelodge for meetings now and then, but that's a right doggy end of town. :lol:

It's on the up tho, as the new Bristol Arena is about to be built just the other side of the river.

43 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I use that Travelodge for meetings now and then, but that's a right doggy end of town. :lol:

It's on the up tho, as the new Bristol Arena is about to be built just the other side of the river.

That must be why I felt at home then :D

12 minutes ago, feral chile said:

That must be why I felt at home then :D

I laughed at your "It was lovely around there, really pretty by the river" bit, cos there's much nicer bits of Brizzle to be close to 'the river'.

That bit by the station isn't actually 'the river', while still being the river. The original river course is now the floating harbour, while that bit is a man-made cut which diverts the river around the floating harbour.

54 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I laughed at your "It was lovely around there, really pretty by the river" bit, cos there's much nicer bits of Brizzle to be close to 'the river'.

That bit by the station isn't actually 'the river', while still being the river. The original river course is now the floating harbour, while that bit is a man-made cut which diverts the river around the floating harbour.

I was brought up close to the Rhymney River, it was pretty toxic. It was one of the initiations, diving into it and surviving.

My idea of picturesque was admiring the frost glistening off the coal tip.

Mind you, there are more shops in that little bit of Bristol than you get in some Welsh towns. So if this is the dodgy end of Bristol, you all must be posh gits :D 

I want to go back some time with lots of spare time to explore, it does seem like a fascinating place.

Edited by feral chile

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think anyone would choose to stay in Easton. :lol:

Not only that, I've no idea where someone would stay in Easton. To my knowledge there's no places in Easton that offer accommodation.

All the visitors are flocking to Patchway.

19 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Bristol...  The only place in the country where people smile leaving to go to work and look messirable having to come back home :D

says the man from Oldham. :lol:

Bristol must have the UK's 2nd highest house price inflation in the country because it's shit and no one wants to live here.