Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

On 4/29/2016 at 10:31 AM, eFestivals said:

That bit by the station isn't actually 'the river', while still being the river. The original river course is now the floating harbour, while that bit is a man-made cut which diverts the river around the floating harbour.

Parts of that route are pretty though (even if there does seem to be alot of work going on around there), I was there a few weeks ago and was impressed with the whole city tbh (well the bits I remembered while not drunk :P), just had a fairly nice "vibe" about it.

That said, the amount of bridges and hills was a killer for me =p

16 hours ago, LondonTom said:

Parts of that route are pretty though (even if there does seem to be alot of work going on around there), I was there a few weeks ago and was impressed with the whole city tbh (well the bits I remembered while not drunk :P), just had a fairly nice "vibe" about it.

That said, the amount of bridges and hills was a killer for me =p

The bit I liked (which was the furthest I ventured) was just past where they had that restaurant on a boat, and all the lights - I'm a sucker for fairy lights. We went to a Wetherspoons close by there, where the staff were very polite, although 2 of our group ordered separate things that were both unavailable, and had their orders upgraded free of charge.

There did seem to be a nice vibe to it, though one of my group was wary of going outside the hotel on her own after dark. But there are some people from the Cardiff suburbs who feel like that about the city centre.

I've never felt unsafe, I think that's lack of experience more than anything else though.

2 hours ago, feral chile said:

The bit I liked (which was the furthest I ventured) was just past where they had that restaurant on a boat, and all the lights - I'm a sucker for fairy lights. We went to a Wetherspoons close by there, where the staff were very polite, although 2 of our group ordered separate things that were both unavailable, and had their orders upgraded free of charge.

There did seem to be a nice vibe to it, though one of my group was wary of going outside the hotel on her own after dark. But there are some people from the Cardiff suburbs who feel like that about the city centre.

I've never felt unsafe, I think that's lack of experience more than anything else though.

Bristol is a pretty safe city.... a hundred yards away from me is a road that was called 'the most dangerous road in Britain' for a decade or more, but that's the normal tabloid exaggeration ... tho a geezer was shot dead on it about 4 years ago - but that was Londoners bringing their issues here.

That Wethrerspoons is ... well, a Weatherspoons. WHY???? :blink:

5 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Compared to where?  

I line in Newton Heath and I work in Chadderton. I also lived in a flat in Clarksfield for 12 months while sorting my house out.

Places like Royton, Shaw, most of Failsworth and Chadderton, Delph and Lees are pretty smart.

16 hours ago, eFestivals said:

oh my god, not only did you visit a brewers fayre, you managed to go into the worst pub by far on a street full of very decent pubs. :lol:

Oops can you recommend one that's nice then?

14 hours ago, willutalk said:

I do enjoy the not too infrequent pint at the The Reckless Engineer talking of pubs and Bristol. After a day out in Bristol it's a good way to end a day before getting the train home from Temple Meads.

Where's that then? We went into the olive something tonight for a meal.

4 minutes ago, feral chile said:

King Street Brewhouse basically opposite is nice. The Apple cider barge by the river is. Small Bar, The Beer Emporium.

Pretty much every other place on that street is better.

Edited by kaosmark2

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

King Street Brewhouse basically opposite is nice. The Apple cider barge by the river is. Small Bar, The Beer Emporium.

Pretty much every other place on that street is better.

Thanks, hopefully should get a chance to check a couple out soon.

7 hours ago, feral chile said:

all of the other 4 (or is there more?) pubs on King Street. One of them is The Duke (which does jazz ... nice :P), I can't remember what the others are called further down the street just past the old vic, but there's some fab ales in those.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

all of the other 4 (or is there more?) pubs on King Street. One of them is The Duke (which does jazz ... nice :P), I can't remember what the others are called further down the street just past the old vic, but there's some fab ales in those.

There's at least 7.

My painfully loose tooth has now been extracted and the relief is incredible. In the end, about an hour ago, I tied a bit of thin electrical cable around it and tugged hard, and out it popped. A dentist would probably have told me that was a foolish thing to do, but I thought bollocks to giving an emergency dentist £50 to extract a tooth that was virtually out anyway. I washed my mouth out with salt water and then swilled a mouthwash around. I now feel no pain there, and this is making me happy today. In fact I feel quite serene now. We have visitors from Bristol arriving shortly, so at least I'm on form to meet and greet them.

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My painfully loose tooth has now been extracted and the relief is incredible. In the end, about an hour ago, I tied a bit of thin electrical cable around it and tugged hard, and out it popped. A dentist would probably have told me that was a foolish thing to do, but I thought bollocks to giving an emergency dentist £50 to extract a tooth that was virtually out anyway. I washed my mouth out with salt water and then swilled a mouthwash around. I now feel no pain there, and this is making me happy today.

Well, nobody can dispute your old school attitude.

Now here's hoping that you don't get an infection and get dragged off to hospital for the sake of fifty quid you silly bugger.

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My painfully loose tooth has now been extracted and the relief is incredible. In the end, about an hour ago, I tied a bit of thin electrical cable around it and tugged hard, and out it popped. A dentist would probably have told me that was a foolish thing to do, but I thought bollocks to giving an emergency dentist £50 to extract a tooth that was virtually out anyway. I washed my mouth out with salt water and then swilled a mouthwash around. I now feel no pain there, and this is making me happy today. In fact I feel quite serene now. We have visitors from Bristol arriving shortly, so at least I'm on form to meet and greet them.

Glad it's sorted. Toothache's a bugger.