New security measures in place

brettredmayne

3 minutes ago, wilem said:

No one has to force me to consume alcohol at the gates.

Usually I have to sip on my bag of cider to assure people it isn't piss...

Because they think that piss would be so difficult to come by on site?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, The60ftOctopus said:

So each security check is 5-10 minutes per person?

If 80,000 people turn up Wednesday morning...

80,000 x 5 mins = 277.77 DAYS.

There's not a festival next year because we'll still be queuing for this years!

come on theres at least 20 checkpoints! Only 2 weeks which is no more than slight inconvenience 

2 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

That poor single security guard is gonna be in for one hell of a shift!

6 minutes ago, benjii said:

I'm guessing we're all going to be forced to drink all our alcohol at the gate to reassure security that it's not harmful chemicals. I hope they're providing the snacks.

Nah, they're doing it the other way round. It's the profiling people were talking about earlier. Free shots at the gate but if you decline you get searched on suspicion of being religious.

3 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

So they employ 500 people to search and everyone's cleared in just over half a day. It's expensive and logistically difficulty. It's not impossible.

As previously mentioned. They will have a certain number of tables for searching, when a spot becomes free another random person from the queue will get called over for the rubber glove treatment.

Majority of us should be fine, just spare a thought for those being asked to spread their legs and cough.

1 minute ago, jonodillieono said:

Matts now followed up with:

'I snuck mine in by ballsing my stuff, But my bag was opened and looked through, not a very thorough search, They aren't looking for drugs they are looking for weapons and stuff'

maybe my walkers can rest easy then, surely they will just shake the bag!

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

As previously mentioned. They will have a certain number of tables for searching, when a spot becomes free another random person from the queue will get called over for the rubber glove treatment.

Majority of us should be fine, just spare a thought for those being asked to spread their legs and cough.

I imagine this will be pretty accurate, minus the rubber gloves

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

So they employ 500 people to search and everyone's cleared in just over half a day. It's expensive and logistically difficulty. It's not impossible.

It might be something like this - I think they are throwing money at the issue, and sounds like there are tons of security people on site.  Still not sure logistically where they create the space for 20/30 simultaneous bag checks at each gate...

17 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

well obviously theyd hire rather then buy it, I don`t know the logistics exactly but im pretty sure these kind of scanners would be available for those running large events to hire?

Maybe next year they will but the extra searches have probably only been planned since the Manchester attack so haven't had time to source these

19 hours ago, budvar said:

Not sure it's either. If there were intelligence of a planned attack I suspect the festival would be postponed/called off.

"Scare tactic" suggests there's no threat and it's just being done to scare the punters - I'd say it's precautionary.

I was at Bournemouth 7's festival at the end of May and there were stringent bag searches and armed police. The festival organizer said that it was purely because of the national heightened threat level, not because of any specific threat. (obviously he is always going to say that).

I think its all hot air (literally). There will be bag searches, but for 1 in 10 people say. In the 5 years I've been coming I've seen 1 table being used to search a bag.

Just get a bit imaginative with your packing.

thanks,

The Pope.

2 minutes ago, p.pete said:

It might be something like this - I think they are throwing money at the issue, and sounds like there are tons of security people on site.  Still not sure logistically where they create the space for 20/30 simultaneous bag checks at each gate...

That's the thing. I'd have thought some already on site would have seen evidence of it if they were going that route by now.

2 minutes ago, p.pete said:

underground excavation / bunker? 

5 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

Matts now followed up with:

'I snuck mine in by ballsing my stuff, But my bag was opened and looked through, not a very thorough search, They aren't looking for drugs they are looking for weapons and stuff'

WTF does this mean?  Should I wax them before hand?

2 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

True that. 13 hours doesn't sound too bad

That could be about right.  Certainly anyone arriving 9 or 10am, who'll probably have the maximum amount of people queuing ahead of them - if they end up queued at a particularly shit gate could reach 13 hours...

5 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

True that. 13 hours doesn't sound too bad

1000 people and it's 6.5 hours. You can throw money, people and space at it and search everyone. The space is the main issue, but you just extend it out to where the queue is. It's not impossible. Likely they'll go this route? No. 

Just now, stopwn1981 said:

= civil unrest.

Yep, I'm sure they're expecting chaos.  I wonder have they any plans in place to manage the queue or make things more comfortable.  We'll be rich pickings for icecream vans selling £4 fanta.

21 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

well obviously theyd hire rather then buy it, I don`t know the logistics exactly but im pretty sure these kind of scanners would be available for those running large events to hire?

There's 18 gates. You'd need 30+ scanners of suffcient size that they could handle the kind of shit people bring with them. You'd also need to be able to provide power to them.