New security measures in place

brettredmayne

8 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

Cheers, 2 hours is Ok, just that it's been added to several hours of queue before gates open plus often 3-4 hours queue after - which could make it monumental! Make sure to have lots of water and sunscreen and positivity :)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so hundreds, maybe thousands, of people, stood static, with no direct way out.  

while i can absolutely undertsand the actions of the security operation, i'd be lying if i said that would make me feel safer.

let's hope nobody is planning on employing the methodology seen so tragically recently.

Bit of a catch 22 really isn't it, these measures are largely aimed at being a deterrent to anybody planning on doing something, if they know there will be heightened security hopefully they just won't bother. Naturally the terrorists seem to want to think up ways and places that catch everybody by suprise, not necessarily targeting events where police and security are already waiting for it. But of course this extra deterrent will increase queue sizes and create a bigger target. Personally I'm not sure this makes a difference. There are plenty of places throughout the country where a terrorist could target concentrated groups of people easily, shopping centres, train stations etc etc, we are British so there are queues everywhere! A terrorist isn't thinking 'oh where will there be a lot of people queuing in one place that I can try and kill, oh I know Glastonbury' if they are thinking about targeting Glastonbury it's because they want the impact of targeting a high profile event, it's the event that will attract them not specifically a queue of people. Basically the queue being 10 minutes long or theee hours long will not make an attack any more likely.

We have been thinking about the queue, originally we were going to leave Devon around 11am Wednesday and swan in after lunch and with no queue. Sounds like this plan is out so instead were going to leave arpund 6.30am to get in the queue for around opening time and just sit it out. Someone in our group made a good suggestion that first trip in from the car we take our tents/bed and a day bag so we have enough clothes/wash stuff to get through the night and thats it. Once we are in and have had a few drinks, we might fancy heading back to the car for more later or just wait until the next day to grab the rest. Anyone think re-entry queues will be just as bad though? 

3 minutes ago, Larraht said:

We have been thinking about the queue, originally we were going to leave Devon around 11am Wednesday and swan in after lunch and with no queue. Sounds like this plan is out so instead were going to leave arpund 6.30am to get in the queue for around opening time and just sit it out. Someone in our group made a good suggestion that first trip in from the car we take our tents/bed and a day bag so we have enough clothes/wash stuff to get through the night and thats it. Once we are in and have had a few drinks, we might fancy heading back to the car for more later or just wait until the next day to grab the rest. Anyone think re-entry queues will be just as bad though? 

normally re-entry queues are ok, I normally end up doing 3 trips and after about 11 am  it`s straight through. This year i think a lot of people will do multi trips so I expect 2nd/3rd trip to take a bit longer :( 

8 minutes ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

normally re-entry queues are ok, I normally end up doing 3 trips and after about 11 am  it`s straight through. This year i think a lot of people will do multi trips so I expect 2nd/3rd trip to take a bit longer :( 

Assume if they are checking 'everything' on first trip, they'll do same on re-entry, so they'll be just as bad.

I'm wondering if the best idea is to take in just what we need to get through wednesday and then coming back to the car after the fireworks and get the rest then - missing the queues because it's late at night? To be honest I usually take it fairly easy on the wednesday anyway and head back to the tent after the opening ceremony. I like to think I am pacing myself!

I was just looking through the lineup and had an immature chuckle to myself that Kiefer Sutherland (aka Jack Bauer) was on the lineup so absouletely no need for anyone to worry about security at the festival 

17 minutes ago, M_Il said:

I was just looking through the lineup and had an immature chuckle to myself that Kiefer Sutherland (aka Jack Bauer) was on the lineup so absouletely no need for anyone to worry about security at the festival 

I don't know, statistically Jack Bauer's presence does increase shit going down

As mentioned in the email, Police presence will be stepped up this year on site. But part of me hopes they're not all carry massive guns.

They concern me.. I prefer the happy, jolly types who get in the Glasto spirit :)

Edited by Keva

31 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

The Sun (!?!) reporting use of metal detectors on gates at IoW.  Best leave my tent pegs at home.

Which is odd as the London attackers used ceramic blades (I think, I seem to remember reading it a day or two ago)

13 hours ago, Keva said:

As mentioned in the email, Police presence will be stepped up this year on site. But part of me hopes they're not all carry massive guns.

They concern me.. I prefer the happy, jolly types who get in the Glasto spirit :)

Would it help if they wore fairy wings while carrying the sub machine gun? :P

I don't think we'll have visibly armed police (probably they'll have some very near by but out of sight and just off-site), it would be an awful look

Edited by Mr.Tease

14 hours ago, M_Il said:

He's also the president of the United States of America so we are going to be well looked after.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

Would it help if they wore fairy wings while carrying the sub machine gun? :P

I don't think we'll have visibly armed police (probably they'll have some very near by but out of sight and just off-site), it would be an awful look

Looks like there's armed police at Download, imagine they will be at the festival too.

Charm x