New security measures in place

brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

serious question as this thread has a few drug related posts...not judging at all just interested from an oldie.

If you didn't have any drugs the whole time would it dampen your experience ? what does it bring to the party ? and do you do it every time you go to something like this or is it just a Glastonbury experience.

My younger days are long gone and can't remember too much about it all but it wasn't so easy to obtain then only weed....I'd be too scared now especially having to take prescription stuff anyway j

I think it would dampen the experience. Drugs give you the energy to keep going until sunrise every night. I don't think I'd have the energy to do it otherwise. Also mdma puts you in a good frame of mind for dancing and talking shite which I would do with or without drugs I suppose. I also enjoy certain types of music more. That said if I couldn't get any at the festival it wouldn't really matter and I'd still have a great time.

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

I think it would dampen the experience. Drugs give you the energy to keep going until sunrise every night. I don't think I'd have the energy to do it otherwise. Also mdma puts you in a good frame of mind for dancing and talking shite which I would do with or without drugs I suppose. I also enjoy certain types of music more. That said if I couldn't get any at the festival it wouldn't really matter and I'd still have a great time.

my biggest fear is my energy levels depleting ... doesn't it make you feel rubbish afterwards ?? 

17 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Maybe I'm thick but I don't see how splitting the load over several trips in and out makes things any better/quicker. 

I think the theory is that less load means quicker flow through the checks....which will keep queues shorter....but with people doing multiple trips the need to queue will last into Thurs at least.

53 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

serious question as this thread has a few drug related posts...not judging at all just interested from an oldie.

If you didn't have any drugs the whole time would it dampen your experience ? what does it bring to the party ? and do you do it every time you go to something like this or is it just a Glastonbury experience.

My younger days are long gone and can't remember too much about it all but it wasn't so easy to obtain then only weed....I'd be too scared now especially having to take prescription stuff anyway j

last year was the first year I went without drugs in a few years and I was having a great time drinking, didn't cross my mind about drugs until around 3/4ish where it was evidently bed time.

That said loadsa people gave me free drugs on the Saturday coz I was on my bill all night and I got 4 hours extra for free. Don't think my experience would be less without those 4 hours, but there would have been less experience if that makes any sense...

Wouldn't want to do it without booze though. 

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

last year was the first year I went without drugs in a few years and I was having a great time drinking, didn't cross my mind about drugs until around 3/4ish where it was evidently bed time.

That said loadsa people gave me free drugs on the Saturday coz I was on my bill all night and I got 4 hours extra for free. Don't think my experience would be less without those 4 hours, but there would have been less experience if that makes any sense...

Wouldn't want to do it without booze though. 

Agree on the drink front... I don't normally get a chance to sit and have a bottle of wine without worrying about where and what I have to do so it will be heaven for me whatever the weather 

My pace will be well behind you lot but hope I will have good memories to take away 

Been reading this thread with interest/some trepidation. I completely understand the need for it (even if I think it's needed more for appearances sake than anything else) but the thought of queuing for hours in that kind of stop-start queue does not appeal. I really hope it's not raining, but it will be equally unpleasant if too hot. My only really bad time getting into the festival was in 2009 when because of an accident in the area (I think) we were held at Bath and West Showground waiting for a shuttle for around six hours. There was no shade and nothing to eat or drink except cider and wheat crunchies. Me and my mate both got sunstroke I'm sure and it was such a bad start to the festivities. Hopefully we won't have a situation like that as I'm sure there will be minimal shade! 

But I do understand the reasoning. Like others I can't see them checking every single item due to how long it would take. I've been eight times and no one in my party has ever been searched, so they don't do that many now.

16 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

my biggest fear is my energy levels depleting ... doesn't it make you feel rubbish afterwards ?? 

Yes but it's like child birth, you soon forget about it and want another baby (pill). 

1 minute ago, babyblade41 said:

Agree on the drink front... I don't normally get a chance to sit and have a bottle of wine without worrying about where and what I have to do so it will be heaven for me whatever the weather 

My pace will be well behind you lot but hope I will have good memories to take away 

The drinking got even funner when I learnt to let go of the line-up as well, lost half my Saturday to chatting to random people in the Avalon Inn.

I'm sure you will, seems like the hardest bit will be the queue after following this thread.

22 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

It varies from person to person. Come downs are never that bad for me but I'm only an occasional user, maybe 6 or 7 times a year festivals mostly. If you do too much of it too frequently the come downs get worse and it can lead to depression or other bad things. Drugs like that are far more potent that alcohol or weed and so need to be treated with a bit more caution.

also if I drink too much it fucks my memories and puts me to bed early. So I drink less and take a bit of Mandy instead.

Edited by Madyaker

I've concluded that 'subject to' means likely to be searched as opposed to 'subjected to' which means you will be.

Dont disagree with a system that somehow prioritises speed of entry for those with less stuff - would fit it with festivals ethos to bring less and thus leave less behind.

I expect everyone will be patted down.

I'll happily queue for as long as it takes for the necessary searches to be made.  If it's a choice of that, or being caught up in horror like we have seen in the media recently, I'll take the bag searches every time!

1 hour ago, babyblade41 said:

I wouldn't say dampen. It's fun and can keep you going. I take it super easy to not to feel too rubbish the days following. Last year post Friday morning I was actually too depressed (mood can affect experience) so pretty much only drank the rest of the weekend.

To me it's part of and enhancing the Glastonbury experience, colours, lights, people...

I spent 45 minutes on a bench with a lady last year giggling about her LED-gloved finger tips whilst sharing mud-stuck people stories... Lovely, uplifting experience which wouldn't have occurred without some enhancement of the senses.

38 minutes ago, priest17 said:

The drinking got even funner when I learnt to let go of the line-up as well, lost half my Saturday to chatting to random people in the Avalon Inn.

I'm sure you will, seems like the hardest bit will be the queue after following this thread.

I haven't got many must sees and the first has been scuppered as I arrive too late Thursday evening ...so now will probably be a random wanderer

2 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

I wouldn't say dampen. It's fun and can keep you going. I take it super easy to not to feel too rubbish the days following. Last year post Friday morning I was actually too depressed (mood can affect experience) so pretty much only drank the rest of the weekend.

To me it's part of and enhancing the Glastonbury experience, colours, lights, people...

I spent 45 minutes on a bench with a lady last year giggling about her LED-gloved finger tips whilst sharing mud-stuck people stories... Lovely, uplifting experience which wouldn't have occurred without some enhancement of the senses.

It sound surreal... and to be able to share those memories with your children in the future x

44 minutes ago, LynseyDiva said:

I'll happily queue for as long as it takes for the necessary searches to be made.  If it's a choice of that, or being caught up in horror like we have seen in the media recently, I'll take the bag searches every time!

I honestly don't think it'll make a blind bit of difference. By recent events it would be much more likely that a vehicle would be hijacked and... well, you get the idea.