What level of security would you accept?

PillingerClan

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

And I guess that's why I'm always interested in what it is about a certain thing that heightens someone's anxiety more so than things that are more likely to happen but don't seem to bother them. 

It's the impact of the thing, so many lives lost at once, the publicity it gets. You don't get to see the thousands dying around the country each day. You know it's there but it's not pumped into your home on 24 hour rolling news. 

Also, while cancer is horrific, from my experience of it, when the end does come, people have passed being made as comfortable as possible while surrounded by loved ones.

12 minutes ago, Davet84 said:

The death count cause by falling from a ladder is still higher than from a terrorist attack. If people are still using ladders then I think you can still take your kids safely to Glastonbury to put it in perspective

You are also 3x more likely to accidently die by being hit by an inanimate object

Just as likely to accidently drown in a lake

twice as likely to inhale your own stomach contents and drown (not sure how but that's what it says on the national statistics site)

etc etc

Choking on your own vomit I presume that one is. Came very close to doing that when I was passed out from drinking one time. 

Nothing you can do to stop it. I assure myself that 99% of people who may do something are already known to the security services to some level and experienced people have made a calculated judgement on who to monitor closely. The attacks in London and Manchester are very hard to prevent. No matter how closely they were monitored, the security services can't react just because someone is driving a car in a city, walking towards a music venue or walking into a tube station. All perfectly normal behaviour.

I also assure myself that Glastonbury is safe as it can be. I don't subscribe to the view that a person could/would create an improvised device, get in a car, drive to Glastonbury, queue for an hour in traffic, park, walk across a field for 30 minutes and then detonate the device whilst people queued. The modern terrorist attacks that occur are hallmarked by their simplicity and they attack a location local to where they live.

I'm still far more likely to die crossing the road to work from a car jumping the red light as the camera has been broken for 2 years.

It's unlikely. Whoever the attacker was, he would've stuck out like a sore thumb at the gig, given the nature of it, hence why he did his callous act in the foyer, it's probably as far as he could've got.

Same applies to Glastonbury; for a start acquiring the ticket requires ID, if there was any intelligence relating to anyone who had registered and bought a ticket, this would've been stopped by now surely. If these bastards are going to do anything, it'll be closer to city centres.

You have to carry on. I was worried coming through Leeds train station this morning but the solution is to sit at home in hibernation.

I personally can't wait to go to Glasto to forget about this fucked up world for just 5 days.

2 minutes ago, uscore said:

This discussion shows how terrorism targets itself at how bad humans are at evaluating risks.  The tiny chance of an incident at glastonbury, which others have pointed out would be very difficult to achieve with tickets, searches, etc, scares people far more than the very real every day danger of being in or near motor cars. Or even the long term risk of breathing in motor car fumes every day.

By targeting this human weakness they want to disrupt us and to scare off and make us change how we live.  If I was planning to take my kids to Glastonbury, this wouldn't stop me.  

See, I don't think they do it to achieve something in the future, I don't think it's really goal orientated despite their claims. I think they probably fool themselves and use that as a justification, but I think really they're just taking their anger out from past personal events- I think it's past driven.

I think they tend to be on the psychopathic spectrum (narcissistic, low empathy, explosive rage), which means they really genuinely don't give a monkeys about how people feel about their actions, (because they don't have the empathy to process it and the victims and relatives have been dehumanised by them so as to be completely irrelevant to them), though they may derive pleasure in seeing fear or suffering in others as it leaves them feeling powerful, which feeds into their narcissism.

50 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

I think Glastonbury is less prone to attack mainly because of the registration process and, jokes aside, how difficult it is to get tickets - but the perimeter and perhaps even the main festival site has to be considered a target now.

Would fully back metal detectors, airport-style screening and bag/body searches to the campsite and main arena given events last night and what we have seen across Europe in the last few years.

The problem is that to increase security between the stages and campsites would need a complete  site redesign where stage arenas would need to exist and campsites would have to have entrances and security like the staff campsites do. Also this would do nothing to prevent someone finding another way. If there is any weak point it must be if you get through the traffic getting to site then it is easy to drive into the car parks especially on the Tuesday night. 

I think sensible security decisions will be made and I imagine there will be increased perimeter and car park security and I will try not to worry about such things. 

11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

It's the impact of the thing, so many lives lost at once, the publicity it gets. You don't get to see the thousands dying around the country each day. You know it's there but it's not pumped into your home on 24 hour rolling news. 

Also, while cancer is horrific, from my experience of it, when the end does come, people have passed being made as comfortable as possible while surrounded by loved ones.

I do wonder about the role of the media- if they gave the same kind of coverage to a car crash or cancer, would people be more terrified of those? Maybe the press should legally have to replace the word 'ISIS' with 'The bellends' in their coverage! 

10 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

See, I don't think they do it to achieve something in the future, I don't think it's really goal orientated despite their claims. I think they probably fool themselves and use that as a justification, but I think really they're just taking their anger out from past personal events- I think it's past driven.

I think they tend to be on the psychopathic spectrum (narcissistic, low empathy, explosive rage), which means they really genuinely don't give a monkeys about how people feel about their actions, (because they don't have the empathy to process it and the victims and relatives have been dehumanised by them so as to be completely irrelevant to them), though they may derive pleasure in seeing fear or suffering in others as it leaves them feeling powerful, which feeds into their narcissism.

I think you are completely right about the poor fools who carry the bombs.  But I think it's the goal of the architects of terrorism; those encouraging, training, and brainwashing the attackers.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I do wonder about the role of the media- if they gave the same kind of coverage to a car crash or cancer, would people be more terrified of those? Maybe the press should legally have to replace the word 'ISIS' with 'The bellends' in their coverage! 

This!!
If they were called the bellends - I think people wouldn't be half as worried.

6 minutes ago, uscore said:

I think you are completely right about the poor fools who carry the bombs.  But I think it's the goal of the architects of terrorism; those encouraging, training, and brainwashing the attackers.

I think the architects are just pure psychopaths (and I mean that in the actual sense of the word) - if you look at their behaviour that's exactly what they are- they groom followers, they use children and young girls sexually, people are just pawns to them,  they murder, torture and have delusions of grandeur, they have zero empathy. Their 'ideology' is just a tool they use to manipulate - I doubt they believe their own shit at the end of the day because they don't live even a remotely religious life style. 

I must admit my first thought after hearing this mornings news was whether I should go with the kids, but only briefly, you have to try and put these thoughts aside and be thankful we have the chance to continue living our life. 

Fear can be very irrational though, used to love big roller coasters, now soon as the bar goes on I literally think I could die on this. Maybe its just because I have responsibilities for other people now.

I know people have jokingly mentioned about getting tickets, but equally it could be someone working the festival. Take the incident last year with the guy on fire.. I may have got this wrong, and apologies if so, but sure I read it wasn't accidental.

30 minutes ago, magliad said:

It's unlikely. Whoever the attacker was, he would've stuck out like a sore thumb at the gig, given the nature of it, hence why he did his callous act in the foyer, it's probably as far as he could've got.

Same applies to Glastonbury; for a start acquiring the ticket requires ID, if there was any intelligence relating to anyone who had registered and bought a ticket, this would've been stopped by now surely. If these bastards are going to do anything, it'll be closer to city centres.

You have to carry on. I was worried coming through Leeds train station this morning but the solution is to sit at home in hibernation.

I personally can't wait to go to Glasto to forget about this fucked up world for just 5 days.

Whilst I don't disagree with you at all, getting a Glastonbury ticket doesn't require ID, just an acceptable photo, an address and an email address. These could all be fake and as long as the picture looked like you and you had access to the address to receive the tricket then you shouldn't ever need ID. Having said all that I still firmly believe this process would render the likelihood of anyone bothering to be very slim. The only way I could see it happening is if a terrorist specifically wanted to target Glastonbury, and was prepared to go through the rigorous process of being In a position to do so.

Security is plenty good enough as it is for me.  It's hard enough to get on site when you're legit and there are probably more police on active patrol per head of population there than in most city centres.  I'd guess that the gate staff might be even more vigilant when it comes to making sure faces match photos but that's about it.

I've recently taken to riding a bicycle.  That's more likely to lead to my demise than some nutter.

The only thing I can say is the following:
I'm going to be a Oxfam steward this year, therefore I also did a training two weeks ago. They also gave us a briefing about what to do in the instance of a terror attack at Glastonbury (literally just run and hide). Overall, however, they reassured us that an attack is very very unlikely at Glastonbury due to plenty security onsite. They just updated the security system last year because of paris and other attacks. Thats why, they do their very best, I guess, to keep everyone safe this year as well ;)

21 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think the architects are just pure psychopaths (and I mean that in the actual sense of the word) - if you look at their behaviour that's exactly what they are- they groom followers, they use children and young girls sexually, people are just pawns to them,  they murder, torture and have delusions of grandeur, they have zero empathy. Their 'ideology' is just a tool they use to manipulate - I doubt they believe their own shit at the end of the day because they don't live even a remotely religious life style. 

I don't disagree with any of this either.

I'd be lying if I said that the thought of something happening at a music/sporting event I attend hasn't crossed my mind before but I couldn't imagine life without attending either of them so I will continue to attend them until I am physically unable to.

I also echo what others have said on the airport style security. This just leads to bottle necks and big crowds outside the gate which could then become a target.

I think the best way to reassure yourself is to know that we have some very skilled, highly intelligent people working to stop these clowns night and day and they are on the most part successful in doing so.

33 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

<snip> but equally it could be someone working the festival. Take the incident last year with the guy on fire.. I may have got this wrong, and apologies if so, but sure I read it wasn't accidental.

?

Last I read it was a petrol spillage in the Greenfields that the Police said was not suspicious. Please enlighten me..

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It was a guy with serious mental health/depression issues that killed himself.

OK thanks. Did not know that, any searches I did brought back the reports just after he was airlifted and just after he died which at that point seemed accidental. Poor guy, either way.

Edit - http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/15/juggler-who-burned-to-death-at-glastonbury-set-himself-on-fire-deliberately-6510302/ Awful for him and anyone involved. Just awful.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

You know what - things like this make me more determined to do the things I love - and equally, to say hello to people. To talk to strangers, to be a nice person. I don't have children, but if I did, I would hope they also continue doing the things they love. Because that makes us who we are. 

Let's not let terror change us. The lives of those directly affected by this will never be the same, understandable. But for the rest of us, life goes on. We shouldn't live in fear. Let's enjoy the company of friends and strangers, let's enjoy the moment of a song where our arms are above us, we're all singing the same song, enjoying the same moment. Let's enjoy fun nights out. 

So to answer the question - I don't want Glastonbury to change it's level of security, I don't want to have to go through extra checkpoints or checks. I want to do what I always do - and have 5 amazing days with awesome people, enjoying some incredible music and art :) 

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It was a guy with serious mental health/depression issues that killed himself.

Yep, poor guy was very poorly- horrible incident for him, his family and those workers at the festival that witnessed it and the aftermath 

I'm sure this issue was raised after the Paris attacks 18 months ago. 

I tend not to live my life in fear of anything, why worry, there's more chance of ill health than suffering at the hands of terrorism. 

As mentioned numerous times in this thread already; love life and enjoy yourselves.