Lady in mid 50's 1st time lots to ask please

babyblade41

Hi, I will be staying at Worthy View camp site in the pre erected site and I am travelling alone on my first Glastonbury . (it was on my bucket list !!)

I can't get there until about 9.00 am on the Friday as my husband works and we have many rescue animals to take care of so will leave Hereford about 6.00 am Friday morning .

Will that particular camp site be well sign posted ?

Where to head to first on arrival and where to possibly keep away from due to being solo.?

My daughter and her friends will be there from the Thursday but not 100 percent sure if we will meet up as our tastes are very different and I don't want to cramp her style ?

Due to riding motorcycles and camping  the tent experience is fine , but not sure if the showers are realistic to use there ... I am an early riser so would be looking at using them about 6.00 AM

Anything specific to pack apart from the usual head torches etc that is really relevant here ?

and any other things you good people could recommend 

Hey a biker ! 

Fireblade or Babyblade ( is that the old 400 ? ) ?

I will only answer what I confidently know.

Showers should be fine to use at 6.00 am , it's the Glasto quiet time . Personally  I have never bothered and neither have my female friends , were all in it together so to speak with the uncleanliness.

Where to head to first ? Depends on your musical taste .  But if you want a wander start at the Pyramid stage to get your bearings .  The festival is in a big bowl so whichever way you walk you will end up back there .  The acoustic stage and kids stuff is in front of but everything else is either behind or to the left and right of it.

Looking at the Pyramid stage if you go left you will come across the Cider Bus which is the main meeting place for everyone and if you are on your own there is always someone to chat to .  

If you need any more advice please ask us .

Assuming you're driving, when you even get near to the area the place will be crawling with stewards and signposts so you'll have no problem at all finding Worthy View and where to park for it (the camp site is just due south of the main festival area).

Where to head first? Just wander! There will be no shortage whatsoever of things to just be amazed by, so just bimble about and start to take it in. I wouldn't say there's anywhere you should avoid, it's a really friendly festival everywhere, and plenty of people on their own, even late at night, and it seems to be very rare to hear of anyone hassling anyone else.

Yes showers should be quiet at 6AM, you'll have the place to yourself, except for the stragglers still up from the night before!

I'd say the essetials are a back-pocke full of wet-wipes, a layer of sun-cream all over, very good walking boots, and a big, big smile! (But that last one is provided as part of the festival package)

Edited by billum

Thank you to you both, very in-depth replies as I was probably asking what others have also asked in the past.

Ivan I had quite a few baby blades and many others in-between ... ended my biking life this year due to bones not healing quite so quick and I think to escape a long biking life without a major catastrophe was more luck than judgement ..

I feel a lot more confident about it now and can't wait until I count down the sleeps... can a 50 something really get this excited ???

My music tastes are not the norm for Glastonbury as I'm a long term old heavy rock festival goer in the early 80's in the genre of Iron Maiden , ACDC et al... I just wanted to experience something new 

6 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I feel a lot more confident about it now and can't wait until I count down the sleeps... can a 50 something really get this excited ???

Oh yes, and more so. Wait til you get to the farm, be prepared to recalibrate that excitometer!

And you can find music of absolutely any genre in the bars around the fest, and it's fun looking...

I stayed at a very wet Glastonbury last year - aged 52. It was also my first time ever camping in my life. I stayed at Worthy View which was fab. A very well run and friendly site - also directions there are easy - follow their own site. There's a coffee & lovely cafe area and great views over the festival too at night. Loos there are fine and showers too. Honestly a great tip I got off a blog last year was to invest in a few packs of Travel Johns (google them!) as I seriously didn't fancy walking out to the loos late at night etc. Take loads of bin bags, kitchen rolls and gaffer tape as they all come in useful in some way. Light up your tent at night with solar powered fairy lights to help guide you back when you are weary/drunk/both. Generally everyone is up for a good festival experience. By the way Worthy View is up a very steep hill but there is a good step way carved out with railings and you can just take your time if a bit knackered. Enjoy yourself. x

Edited by Mamajules
addition

Hello

How exciting! The great thing is you won't be among strangers for long.  The line up will be announced soon so you'll be able to rummage around in that to see if anything takes your fancy.   The free programme you get on arrival is also good for some more out of the ordinary things.  

As someone else said,  just wander! I like to take newbies on a grand tour of the site . But basically if you head straight down the hill from WV you'll get to the (old) railway line.  This the main thoroughfare running from east to west.  Turn left and head towards the Other Stage., head across the Other Stage field  (oxylers) and you'll get to silver Hayes where there's a couple of larger stages and small venues playing predominantly dance music.  

Through silver Hayes, the John peel stage for newer bands and the wood is up in front. If you swing right though you'll head towards the pyramid, your other main reference point.  Crossing across in front of the stage and stop for a pint and the cider bus.   Straight on from there is Williams green, then the acoustic tent, theatre and circus areas.  It's really worth hanging about here, it's full of street performers and well as more formal performances.  The west holts stage is the next biggie. It's good for a dance here to am eclectic range of music. 

Head up the hill across the railway again and into the green fields where you'll see a completely different side to the festival.  It's the true heart really and well worth spending a lot of time here. Finish up in the stone circle!

That is by no means a complete tour, missed south east corner,  the park, Acadia etc etc etc!

You'll have a blast don't be afraid to talk to people, and don't be concerned if people are friendly to you. X

First thing - don't worry.  

I, too, am a 50 something female solo person this year.  Last year I was semi-solo in that I touched base with my daughter who was working there and a friend's daughter but, like you, didn't want to cramp their style.  You will have a blast.  Just look at the listings and see if you have any "must sees"  but otherwise wander and enjoy.  The cabaret fields are always a good place to head if you feel a bit lost.  

If you want to meet up for a drink or something I'm happy to.

Definitely meet up with you kids Glastonbury is great but can be better if you touch base with your family and friends.. I'm 48 and my kids camp with all my mates and there mates and we all hook up every day see what each other has done what we're doing ect.. Then we all do what we want to do and sometimes it's the same so we get to enjoy it together. 

Even better is when you randomly meet up.. We were struggling back from the bar up by the glasto sign when a very drunk son in law wandered past us on his way back to the youngster's group so us oldies who had been drinking up the hill followed him back and for a good half hour or so a good part of our 45 person group all sat swapping story's giving out advice to go see this or that then as we were on a mission back out of the festival and they were on the way back to the camp we made sure all was good and went our separate ways.. It's lovely to see you kids doing there own thing and you can join in without feeling like you're invading there space. 

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:28 PM, babyblade41 said:

Thank you to you both, very in-depth replies as I was probably asking what others have also asked in the past.

Ivan I had quite a few baby blades and many others in-between ... ended my biking life this year due to bones not healing quite so quick and I think to escape a long biking life without a major catastrophe was more luck than judgement ..

My music tastes are not the norm for Glastonbury as I'm a long term old heavy rock festival goer in the early 80's in the genre of Iron Maiden , ACDC et al... I just wanted to experience something new 

yes yes and yes totally a 50 something can get this excited :-)

There is nowhere to avoid - wander , wander and wander, if you dont like somewhere you are 30 seconds from somewhere else. Go with an open mind and a sense of humour and wonderment and you'll have an amazing time.

Sit down, grab a beer and chat to the person next to you, random chats are the best thing ever. Go to Avalon, the acoustic, John peel, the healing field, Green fields, and move away from the pyramid (thats just a tiny tiny part of the festival)

Keep your valuable/spare money in the lock ups

On you, in a secure cross body bag/bum bag - keep pack of tissues (or toilet roll in a plastic bag), wet wipes, hand sanitiser, phone, money, sunscream, and glitter (glitter is essential - right ?) - if the ground is wet a folded up bin bag helps to sit on

Most of all have loads of fun and enjoy every moment

Stay on this forum to keep the excitement levels up :-)

10 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Chill out at The Theatre & Circus Fields

Got to agree with this.  The non-music bits are some of the best you'll get and something you won't find at many other festivals.

I am 63, and coming from Canada on my own. I am staying at Tangerine Fields though. It was available sooner and I was afraid I might miss out on Worthy View. They also provide sleeping bags and mats so that's another two things I will not have to schlep  onto the site.  I am just worried about the walk back at night though. Can anyone tell me how far it is to the Gate B I think it is? 

56 minutes ago, JacquelineS said:

I am 63, and coming from Canada on my own. I am staying at Tangerine Fields though. It was available sooner and I was afraid I might miss out on Worthy View. They also provide sleeping bags and mats so that's another two things I will not have to schlep  onto the site.  I am just worried about the walk back at night though. Can anyone tell me how far it is to the Gate B I think it is? 

Very close, a few mins walk to Gate B.

fc

Definitely meet up with your daughter - you won't cramp her style! The main reason I'm going to Glasto again this year over preferred smaller festivals is that my parents go and there's nothing like having a boogie to Lionel Ritchie at the Pyramid stage with your Mum....

You'll have a great time.  There is nowhere on site that you need to avoid in terms of safety.  Glastonbury is one of the most community-minded places you'll find (with the usual proviso that amongst getting on for 200,000 people there are always bound to be idiots).

I always say to new people that the only way you can mess Glastonbury up is by not getting around the site and checking out the different areas and trying new things out.

I think it's wise of you to give your daughter her own space.  You probably don't want to know too much about what she gets up to :wacko:.  But if you get the timing right (perhaps let her lead on that one), you'll definitely both benefit from meeting up at some point.

Lastly, you might be the most physically fit person in the world, I wouldn't want to assume otherwise, but for most people the thing they can do to improve their festival the most is to get some fitness work in between now and the start (gym, jog, swim, whatever works for you).  Especially if you are in Worthy view (significant hill to wander up) on top of all the other manoeuvring around site.

On 3 May 2017 at 9:56 AM, babyblade41 said:

(it was on my bucket list !!)

Me too! Eventually got around to it in 2015 at the age of 51. Went with my daughter, and really, really loved it. It was all I had expected and more. Went again last year, and am fortunate enough to have a ticket this year. Will be going it alone for the first time, I have made contact with Camp Solo (see thread in chat) and hope to make a lot of new friends. Why don't you join us?

In a strange way I envy you - it's a magical experience whenever you go , but that first time is a bit special.