V&A Glastonbury Exhibition Now Open

Gnomicide

I went on Saturday and it was great. Very small but transported me back to the best field in the world. 

Also, I completely forgot I had filled in a memory card at the festival this year so it was a nice surprise to find it on the wall there. 

Edited by themuel

I went to this yesterday. It is only two rooms, but really nicely laid out. There is a pyramid with beanbags inside where you can sit and watch filmed footage. I didn't want to leave.

When trying to locate the exhibition I suddenly spotted a sign for it in THAT font. I realized that just seeing that font made me happy...

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2016 at 8:28 AM, Watergirl said:

I went to this yesterday. It is only two rooms, but really nicely laid out. There is a pyramid with beanbags inside where you can sit and watch filmed footage. I didn't want to leave.

When trying to locate the exhibition I suddenly spotted a sign for it in THAT font. I realized that just seeing that font made me happy...

Exactly the same as us. We were looking for it then we saw the sign, in THAT font. We then all made some weird noises and jumped up and down. Funny how the shape of some letters can be so powerful. 

Went last weekend; having never been to glasto before (but trying for tickets this year) it made me all the more excited it not being about the music. Everyone's seen the music before but the footage of the actual festival and the randomness brought it home how different the festival actually is; been counting down ticket day ever since.

One of the nicest things of the exhibition, I thought, was inverted Maslow pyramid.  For those not familiar with Maslow's pyramid, psychologist Maslow put together this hierarchy of needs, with the most basic needs at the bottom, i.e. first of all we need air,water, food; then safety (from war, natural disasters, violence etc), love and belonging, esteem, and eventually self-actualisation (reaching your potential).  I liked this part of the exhibition so much that I jotted it down:

"For many festival-goers at Glastonbury, the principles of Maslow's Pyramid (the 'Hierarchy of Needs') are inverted.  Here, creativity and self-actualisation become top priority, and basic physiological needs like sleep are neglected.  This transcendence of social norms creates a unique festival community, who join together in celebration of community, freedom and revelry".

7 hours ago, Watergirl said:

One of the nicest things of the exhibition, I thought, was inverted Maslow pyramid.  For those not familiar with Maslow's pyramid, psychologist Maslow put together this hierarchy of needs, with the most basic needs at the bottom, i.e. first of all we need air,water, food; then safety (from war, natural disasters, violence etc), love and belonging, esteem, and eventually self-actualisation (reaching your potential).  I liked this part of the exhibition so much that I jotted it down:

"For many festival-goers at Glastonbury, the principles of Maslow's Pyramid (the 'Hierarchy of Needs') are inverted.  Here, creativity and self-actualisation become top priority, and basic physiological needs like sleep are neglected.  This transcendence of social norms creates a unique festival community, who join together in celebration of community, freedom and revelry".

Fortunately it's not unique, but I get where you are coming from. If it's alright with you I'm going to copy and paste your post for future mullings over. It may get messy, and there might be gurning and dribbling, but I feel that I'm going to need to refer back to it, in order to regain an appropriate perspective on what's important and what isn't - as it stands in the west. As regards to the rest of the world I feel guilty about not doing fuck all. I don't want to devote my life to helping / changing the system but feel that I ought to do something in that direction. Not as insurance from hell and damnation, more because if I don't do it, and you don't do it, then who the fuck will? I know who. It's those souls (men/women/women/men) who aren't out there for journalistic glory. It's the poor c**ts who are getting maimed and killed to help others. Plain and simple. I sometimes wish I wasn't so crap, and then there are times that I'm glad of it.

Only just realised that I'd gone off track there. Apologies. Just happened to have come to a point in my life where I can't run away and hide. I need to clarify what is and isn't important, and am questioning whether I am, or I am not, doing my bit. Something's going to give, and it's going to be soon.

I was lying on one of those beanbags for ages. The posters, the signs... it all takes you right there. If you're in the area, swing by, it's really nice. And you can be in and out in 10 minutes, or an hour - depending on how comfy you get in the beanbags.

13 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Fortunately it's not unique, but I get where you are coming from. If it's alright with you I'm going to copy and paste your post for future mullings over. It may get messy, and there might be gurning and dribbling, but I feel that I'm going to need to refer back to it, in order to regain an appropriate perspective on what's important and what isn't - as it stands in the west. As regards to the rest of the world I feel guilty about not doing fuck all. I don't want to devote my life to helping / changing the system but feel that I ought to do something in that direction. Not as insurance from hell and damnation, more because if I don't do it, and you don't do it, then who the fuck will? I know who. It's those souls (men/women/women/men) who aren't out there for journalistic glory. It's the poor c**ts who are getting maimed and killed to help others. Plain and simple. I sometimes wish I wasn't so crap, and then there are times that I'm glad of it.

Only just realised that I'd gone off track there. Apologies. Just happened to have come to a point in my life where I can't run away and hide. I need to clarify what is and isn't important, and am questioning whether I am, or I am not, doing my bit. Something's going to give, and it's going to be soon.

Completely with you there Yog. But by the sounds of it you're further ahead than me. PM if you want to chat xx

5 hours ago, Tuna said:

I was lying on one of those beanbags for ages. The posters, the signs... it all takes you right there. If you're in the area, swing by, it's really nice. And you can be in and out in 10 minutes, or an hour - depending on how comfy you get in the beanbags.

Yeah, I didn't want to get up once I'd sat down. I need to get some of those for my front room.

I got really excited when I saw the signs up, it's something that I've never thought twice about when I've been at the festival but seeing them somewhere so out of place really hit home. All I could think the whole time was how desperate I am to get tickets again. 

Just visited and thought it was great. Very small as others have mentioned but does really well to express the special feeling and community aspect of the festival. Was lovely to see visitors' hand written memories hung up on the large scale map. 

Had a little prayer to the ticket Gods when I was in there too.